What would you do??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have been driving past this for a few months...always wanting to see them get cut down. As an electrician, and a firewood hack, I have no business starting a chainsaw within 50' of this, and have NO intention to.
It has however brought up a question to me...how would someone go about getting these on the ground safely?
image.jpeg

And watch the root ball set that puppy right back up, after your snap cut.
4 or 5 years ago was helping clean up tornado damage--I was a spectator on this tree!! Big oak, hugh root ball, laying flat on ground, cut was made about 8 ft from root ball--tree snapped and root ball pulled it back up--quickly!! Would have easily been very serious if someone had been in the way!!

Harley, that was the exact vid I was thinking of!

Op, unless you are a pro, I would keep on eyeballin'. It isn't worth loss of life or, no pun intended, limb.

I want to edit this so I don't sound like such a jerk. I want to see the op around here for a long time. Stay safe, Merry Christmas!

Haley, that was the exact vid I was thinking of!

Op, unless you are a pro, I would keep on eyeballin'.
For one thing, they are right next to highway 101...and 99% sure I'd get my pp slapped if I did get caught cutting them. Second, as stated above...I have no intention of attempting. Definitely not qualified.

I don't see any problem, just go up the hill and cut it at the fulcrum point and let the top fall down the hill, that main log looks too heavy to stand the root ball up especially if it's been there for months , if your cutting firewood just start blocking it down from the top, if you start blocking from the bottom you will have a heavy log uphill from you and that's a health hazzard. If it does stand up on ya, well cut er down.

John

I edited my post because I thought I sounded like a jerk. :oops:

Old guy, I see a smaller root ball towards the top of the hill. The root ball at the bottom of the hill looks to be at least three trees root bound together. What would be the safe way to cut that and which would you start with?

i agree with adirondack and say chain it and pull it off the side of the bank then go to town

Always hard to tell from the photo. Scale, and surroundings, etc. But . . . . .

It looks like from the other side, one might be able to make a cut at the fulcrum point (top of the hill): top drops down, and base either stands still or stands up. Then the second one. Depending on the diameter of the trees, a powered pole saw could let you make the cuts from a distance, minimizing the chance of getting hit with surprise movement (I like pole saws for storm damaged trees!).
Screen shot 2015-12-24 at 9.42.17 PM.png

Philbert

It looks to me (on my small mobile device) that there was a small landslide and the trees came down the hill. If so, little chance of it standing up but a greater chance of it rolling off the hill. Personally I would pull them off the hill and cut them up.

Where these trees are, they're ODOT's problem and I doubt they're going to do anything with them. I drive by this site on a regular basis too. I think they blew over just after that unit was logged and that ridge line gets a lot of heavy wind.

Back