What would you pay for this McCulloch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harzack223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a pro mac 55 with a bow saw blade. It is in non running condition and no clue as to what if anything is wrong with it. I am just wondering how much do you guys think I should spend on this. I'll try to spot a pic but being my first time I am unsure if it will work. My mistake put band saw instead of bow saw

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would not spend more than $50.00 for the saw. Bows that are not oiled correctly tend to burn up quick. A bow also puts the smaller saws like that under alot of strain. From the pictures the saw does look good cosmetically.

Thomas has it right, $50 tops, shoot for $25

That would be an excellent deal around here as that saw in that condition would easily fetch at least $100.00, more if it started and ran. It has become silly what most saws are bringing, kind of like the housing boom.

I personally would not pay more than $50.00 unless I could really look it over and run it in some wood.

I wouldn't give much for the saw as yellow isn't my color. The bar is worth at least $ 50 to $ 75.

Larry

MAC 55 Bow Saw

Harzack --

I like this Mac saw pretty well.

NO paint loss/wear on the hand grip. Seems very low hour....
Bow bar looks nice.
So, the fuel cap gasket leaked and lost some black paint.

Would/Should have the Auto-Adjustable chain oiler to increase for the Bow-Bar.

Biggest Question >>> Does it turn over and what does the Compression feel like ?????????????

How much is the SELLER WANTING ? [not you offering]

55's were pretty good--rare with a Bow-Bar.

Do any of you guys have any like this for sale, that say it's worth $50.00 ?
I'm interested!

I'd buy it if I knew where it was....
Regards.

The big money questions are how does it run and what is the condition of the bow.

The saw itself is fairly common and not special.

The bow is only rare until you are in an area where they were and are still being used. When I am in Virginia they are quite common on most brands at the flea markets. I purchased 5 saws with bows from different people in less than 40 minutes once. That would be a personal best record in acquiring bows from different Virginians.

They are harder to find in Ohio but still not rare.

It is uncommon to find them in excellent shape and they usually command more money. People that use bow saws know how much they cost new and how difficult they can be to get.

update, from what the seller has told me it pulls over very easily but he doesn't have any gas to try and start it. it came from his late father down in S Carolina and recently brought it up here. hes asking 75 but I haven't started to wheel and deal with him just let, I'll be going over to take a look and possibly putting gas in it if I think the carb is still decent. I can post other pics but won't be until I get home from work this evening.

Back