Whatcha think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Down To Earth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have about 20,000 bf of standing hard maple I would like to sell. How much more could I expect to get from a 70/30 share with a logger vs. a negotiated stumpage sale to a mill. Nice quality white hmp. Should I go the logger route or sell to a mill directly.

PM if you are interested in the timber, CNY area

It would depend highly on how well equipped the logger is. Here on the west coast, a 50-50 split is pretty common, with the logger picking up all of the logging and hauling costs, and marketing the wood to the mill.

Here's some things to watch out for:

1.- Don't just hire a "house" logger, meaning a logger who is the 'main man' for a particular mill. Reason being, he'll quote you a lower price for the sale of the wood delivered to the mill, then the mill gives him a kickback for doing so. I have seen loggers here quote a landowner $450/mbf for good standing 2 and 3 mil Douglas fir, when the mill was actually paying $625/mbf. Then they split the additional profit with the logger.

2.- Watch out for loggers who sub contract a lot of the work. It's one thing if a logger hires a faller or a pair of fallers, and then has a crew that does the main part of his logging. However, in recent years, I have seen loggers sub-out practically every part of the job, basically the logger is making money just acting as a manager. There's not a problem with that except you always get lower quality work when you sub everything out.

3.- The best loggers are involved in every stage of their contract. The best of the best loggers are actually good foresters first, and loggers second. That way they have the know-how to cruise standing timber, getting a good idea of the volume and grade of wood involved. Most loggers you'll ever meet don't know how to use a diameter tape, increment borer, relaskop, basal prism, or a clinometer- all valuable tools for a planning forester.

The first step is to contact local mills that process the kind of wood you have on your property. More than likely they'll be willing to send a company forester to your place to look things over. Most of the time the company forester also doubles as a log buyer, so he or she can give you an idea on the spot how much your wood is worth. They can also give you the best local options for logging your property.

The landowners that make the most money are they ones that have the time and ability to do their own logging and hauling. However it turns into a more than full time job for the landowner, and it is a lot of work.

I would call a few loggers before talking to the mills simply because the mill has to pay the logger anyway so by getting a logger to cut and haul for you; you get rid of the middle man to some degree. I would however visit at least two completed and bmp'd jobs the logger has completed within the last 2 years and then visit the one he is on at the moment. For good saw timber around here with good access and haul distances within 25 miles you can expect a 50/50 split.

thanks for the answers, just to clarify, the 70/30 split here is 70% to stumpage owner and 30% to the logger.

Back