Whats a chain cost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a new Stihl chain for the 660 yesterday. 84 links of 3/8 semi-chisel and it cost me $55.44. :censored:
Look after this chain for sure.

In the States... $1 an inch ($25 in your case) is a decent pro price for one chain over the counter. MSRP is about $35. If you buy 100 foot reel.. $250-275 (1640 drivers), so your chain would cost you $13-14...

Other brands are cheaper..

Last edited:
Full Chisel

Last time I bought one for the 066 it was $27-$28.You might want to look at baileys.woodsman pro for 12.95 a loop.That's who I'll be using from now on.

chain price

sounds like you need a better dealer. i just bought a semi skip 63 X 375 119 driver stihl chain for a 36" bar from my local stihl dealer and it cost 45.00 saw chips. sound like you should talk to another stihl dealer for a chain quote:)

Only $5 for Stihl chains. I buy my chains from a Stihl rental shop that replaces the chains everytime they go out. Some chains are almost LN, some are rocked out. I get 25" 3/8 RSC and 16 .325, both the same price. I don't run a 25" bar, so I break them and make whatever sizes I need, 36", 28", 20" 16". Can't beat a deal like that. I buy every 3/8 chain when ever I go by them.

Look on e-bay

I just purchased 3 84 link Oregon chains for $30.00 shipped to my door.
They are skip tooth but for the price I'll gladly run them.

The last Husky chain I bought from a store cost me $27.50 for 105 links.

Last edited:
For Stihl chain some dealers it's $1 per inch of bar.

Dealer I use, .25 cents per driver all chain's up to .404 pitch.

Best I could get him to do on a roll of Stihl 3/8 RM .063 was $310.

But he did sell me Stihl 3/8 RM .063 135 drivers for $32 per chain.

Gary

Last edited:
Only $5 for Stihl chains. I buy my chains from a Stihl rental shop that replaces the chains everytime they go out. Some chains are almost LN, some are rocked out. I get 25" 3/8 RSC and 16 .325, both the same price. I don't run a 25" bar, so I break them and make whatever sizes I need, 36", 28", 20" 16". Can't beat a deal like that. I buy every 3/8 chain when ever I go by them.
Have you ever got a blood stained one yet???:) I hate that when that happens, but you are right about buying chains from rental houses. You get get good deal and save some cash.

I haven't purchased any new chain for awhile, but 55.44$ seems outrageous to me.

Last edited:
As I thought us Aussies get the sharp end of the stick again.
Oh well looks like I might have to look into buying a breaker and a roll of the good stuff and DIY.:)

Lake thats all reasonable enough but you guys can buy a GB bar for around half the price we can. That I can't understand. :buttkick:

Bash Them!!!

I bought a new Stihl chain for the 660 yesterday. 84 links of 3/8 semi-chisel and it cost me $55.44. :censored:
Look after this chain for sure.

Typical for a Steal you blind Stihl dealer. Click on the Bailey's link and
get what you need at the good old American economic freedom way.

bunch of BS... Apart from the fact it's quoted in DOLLARS, (actually, Austrailan dollars...) comparing USA prices to anywhere else in the world is worthless... yep.., click away, then pay airfreight to Australia!

Last edited:
12.95 looks good till you ad there shipping on to it......

I bought a 2 fer 1 deal two months ago. Don't recall the shipping to be out of line and at around $10 for 2 loops... (18")

Cut a couple cord locust with the woodland pro and just put the first sharp on it 2 days ago...okay, it was overdue a bit.

Harry K

Back