Whats a Good MC Meter????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blowncrewcab

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
After finding this site I'm learning that just cutting and splitting wood isn't enough. I heat my house totally with wood, in a wood stove. I burn what ever kind I can get (only last week did I ever burn pine, after finding out some of you do) But I'm thinking I should get a MC Meter, are the $25.00 dollar ones worth any thing? Or do I have to get better???? Thanks in advance...

habanero

habanero

ArboristSite Guru
I don't know much about moisture content meters, but I've always used the same oven method I use in the laboratory. You'll need a drill, a 1/2" or so auger bit, a kitchen scale, oven, and an oven-proof dish. I first drill into the end of the log an inch or so discarding those shavings. Then, continue to drill a ways further and collect the shavings. You'll want quite a few so you get a representative sample. In big logs, you might want to drill several holes. In smaller logs, drill one or two holes in several different logs to get a representative sample. Keep the shavings in a ziploc bag until you're ready to weigh them. After you've collected your samples, weigh your oven proof dish on the kitchen scale (I use a foil pie pan since it's light and disposable). Record that weight, then put your shavings in and record the weight again. The difference is the weight of the wet shavings. Then, put the shavings in the oven at ~225 degrees for a few hours. I then reweigh the pan with the shavings and record the weight. Next, put the pan back in for 30 minutes or so and weigh again. If it is the same as before, you're done. If it has dropped, then put back in and repeat. When you have 2 weights that are almost the same, you're done. Subtract the weight of the pan from the weight of the dried shavings and you have the weight of the dry shavings. The difference between wet and dry shavings is the moisture content. Do the math from there and you have the % moisture.

This method will sometimes bias a little high on woods with a lot of volatile oils, as you'll be counting the weight of the oils as moisture weight. I had a research project involving cedar wood once upon a time and found this oven method to bias a percent or two high (when compared with Karl Fischer titration moisture content) on that wood. Hardwoods have always come out pretty close.

FYI, I discard the outer inch of the wood so surface conditions (high or low relative humidity, mainly) don't influence the moisture determination of the log itself.

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Just for firewood....

Cut some curly cues (rip-cut down the middle) from the wood your questioning.
Heap up a pile of the long shavings and light them.

If it lights real well burns with little - no smoke, it's about 10% or close enough. (wood is stove ready if the smoke from the bottom of the heap reburns in the flame, no smoke leaves the fire.)

If it lights but burns with some smoke, burns unevenly , there is a good chance your in the + 15% area, and needs a little more seasoning.

If it's hard to light, burns and goes out, lots of smoke, there is a chance your around 20% or the wood is just to green.

This might sound too from the hip for most, but try it next time your in your in the woods with several samples. Try a dead dry limb and some fresher cut wood, it won't take long and you will develop a method you trust.

Mike Van

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Man, I don't know how I've been able to burn firewood all these years without a mositure meter and a science lab.:hmm3grin2orange: ;)
What he said - #1 ........... Unless you're making flooring or cabinet wood, Save your $$$$$, After a year or two, you should be able to tell dry wood from wet just by picking it up, how well it burns, etc. If you split your wood now, stack it & cover just the top, it'll be fine for this coming year. There's not much else to it. Would you 'test' every piece before you threw it in the fire? Someday someone will ask you "is this wood dry?" Will you have to say "I don't know, I don't have my meter"