What's a Good Push-Mower (please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Scandy14. The Honda HR214 is probably the best push mower ever made. The quality of this mower is unbelievable. I have had mine for 20+ years also. I convinced some of my friends to buy them at that time also. One of them who purchased one is now having his lawn cut. I was able to get the mower from him, so now I have two.

I am partial to Lawnboy! Something about that 2 cycle engine (like our chainsaws) and the funky staggard wheel deck.

The above are no longer made, but I bet you could find a good used one.

Good luck,
Bill

I am partial to Lawnboy! Something about that 2 cycle engine (like our chainsaws) and the funky staggard wheel deck.

Good luck,
Bill

lol...I got about 4 of those in the junk pile at work! Need Parts? lol

For 21 inch, I am sold on Toro alum deck, front wheel drive. On my third one in 35 years. I don't bag, just mulch. Steel deck Toro too heavy, and not as good on suction and lift.
I like fwd as much easier to steer and turn with light bar pressure down.

My son has lawncare business and hate the very ones I like. If you bag, need rear wheel drive, especially for uphills. Front wheel spin damages the lawns. He thinks RWD turns faster on the corners, even on the flat. I don't like, but maybe just never go the the technique down.

He likes the LawnBoy Gold commercial 2 cycles, 6-6.5 hp. Out of produciton and hard to find. The regular Lawnboy 5 hp are plastic junk for hard use.
Used a Toro personal pace and hated it. Too much effort to keep it going ahead.
For his walker, he uses the Toro 54 inch. Super machine.
ZTR is a Lesco, heavy as a tank, but not using it much anymore. The Toro is faster on most home lawns.

IMO, Toro has the best design decks. They are also designed 30 miles from me, and I've had a job offer there, so have seen the R&D that goes into them.

Fiancee' has a 2 or 3 yr old Craftsman fwd 21 inch. Like most Sears stuff, it is rugged, does the job, reliable, just HEAVY and not at all high performance. A reliable slug, starts well, but heavy, way longer, underpowered, not very ergo designed. I hate it.

kcj

Good luck,
Bill

It took 20 years, but I wore one out! Damn tough OMC engine. Could have had a little more grunt for the tall stuff. I still remember cleaning the ports.

-Pat

Just stay away from the Briggs & Stratton engine.

They're not what they used to be.

Depends. The Briggs Vanguard and I/C engines are still decent. Anything less is crap. The newer Tec;s are crap too. Anyone else notice how mowers have much higher HPs than they did 20 years ago?

I had an HR 214 for 18 years.... Still started on the first pull every time, but it was getting tired... Sold it on craigslist and bought an HR215 8 years younger and for less money! Around here... you can get them in the winter for about $100...

Last edited:
Viking

If available have a look at Viking also.

We had a Honda. Looked as Great build but nothing but trouble and very sensible to wet grass. Cutting result looked like sh!t and before it started refusing to start we were having problems with the throttle control, bearings of the blade axe not to mention that in thick tall grass it would just sufficate each meter. It was heavy as a pig also... but it was ... A HONDA.

It cost about 5 times as much as the one we had before (side exit, so a lot of collecting work) (brand does not exist anymore) but this more-simple-does-not-exist- mower lasted us loooooooong time without any trouble.

I see my neighbours cutting with their self propelled high-tech and know only one thing; they break down regularly and they have to cut at the right moment (height and dry). And.... they are exhausted manipulating their heavy mowers around obstacles.

I bought the MB2R from Viking: it is light, the mulching works great. Starts easy, no complex parts etc etc. Takes me half the time to cut a similar surface in wet or dry condition, the thing goes where i aim it and i dont have to labour it around the lawn and..... it only costs me 1/4th of theirs...

Collection systems are nice but for me a thing of the past. Even with a drive system you still need to manouvre it around trees, corners etc and with a bagload of cut grass these mowers are heavy.

If available have a look at Viking also.

We had a Honda. Looked as Great build but nothing but trouble and very sensible to wet grass. Cutting result looked like sh!t and before it started refusing to start we were having problems with the throttle control, bearings of the blade axe not to mention that in thick tall grass it would just sufficate each meter. It was heavy as a pig also... but it was ... A HONDA.

It cost about 5 times as much as the one we had before (side exit, so a lot of collecting work) (brand does not exist anymore) but this more-simple-does-not-exist- mower lasted us loooooooong time without any trouble.

I see my neighbours cutting with their self propelled high-tech and know only one thing; they break down regularly and they have to cut at the right moment (height and dry). And.... they are exhausted manipulating their heavy mowers around obstacles.

I bought the MB2R from Viking: it is light, the mulching works great. Starts easy, no complex parts etc etc. Takes me half the time to cut a similar surface in wet or dry condition, the thing goes where i aim it and i dont have to labour it around the lawn and..... it only costs me 1/4th of theirs...

Collection systems are nice but for me a thing of the past. Even with a drive system you still need to manouvre it around trees, corners etc and with a bagload of cut grass these mowers are heavy.

sounds like you gave that honda a rough time. tall thick wet grass? no good for catching. even a 25hp rider will clog in those situations.

self propelled catchers have their place, but it sounds like someone put you into the wrong machine if you are cutting in those conditions.

either that, or the RPM on the mower was not correct and/or the blades were not high lift blades (i have fixed many "non performing" SP catcher mowers with this problem)

Personally, id go Honda if im after a catcher mower. More weight and more price, but 2 yr commercial warranty on the GXV engines so u cant go wrong. Their drive system is better than any other avail here also. We only have the HRU216D avail in NZ, but its a beaut.

(before you judge, im no honda dealer!!!)

STK

"Push Mower"?

I think that the OP meant to say "walk behind" instead of "push mower" as a push mower is not self propelled. I have a Snapper rear wheel drive, a Craftsman front wheel drive, and a Toro rear wheel drive. The rear wheel drives have better traction, but the front wheel drive is easier to control. The Snapper is my favorite.

Anyone else notice how mowers have much higher HPs than they did 20 years ago?

You mean Horsepower Developed at the Brochure?

Yep, that's been growing by leaps and bounds on mowers, shop vacs, air compressors, etc. I think the typical efficiency of a compressor motor is about 300% now (one horsepower of electricity = three horsepower of motor rating). It was bad back in the days when a 14hp engine might hit 9-10hp on a dyno, but now that same engine might be rated at 18-20hp. When I first started noticing it about ten years ago, I would boycott anything that was clearly fraudulent (the electric motors stuff, mainly Craftsman), but now fraud in advertising is everywhere.
The Kohlers in my 40 year old Cub Cadets (by International Harvester not MTD) really do make advertised power, but they aren't what you would call fuel efficient, especially since both have hydro transmissions that eat about 2hp.

Back