What's a Good Push-Mower (please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Toro's are excellent mulchers, but so so baggers. I have one GTS personal pace, one non personal pace GTS, ended up getting a Snapper. The Snapper is a great bagger, plus goes up to 4" cutting height, vs 3.5" on the Toro. The Toros collect dust now.

That was a common complaint of the old Recyclers, the newer SR4's go up to like 4.25" cut height. I am running mine at the second to last notch and it is "4.

My Toro's are excellent mulchers, but so so baggers. I have one GTS personal pace, one non personal pace GTS, ended up getting a Snapper. The Snapper is a great bagger, plus goes up to 4" cutting height, vs 3.5" on the Toro. The Toros collect dust now.

I also have a Snapper,only thing iv'e ever had to do to it is a new set of belts in 13 yrs since it was new.( other than normal maint. ) I like the small engagement handle on it alot better than any of the other brands I looked at.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Toro on the right is a 1986 other is a mid 90's........Both still run strong and have been used every cutting since new........

Dirt and tape add character

Mowers1.jpg

Mowers2.jpg

Snapper circa 1984

Mowers3.jpg

Toro GTS 2-smoker, mid-80's vintage. I think that has the Suzuki 2-stroke that will run virtually forever. I bet I will kill the blade clutch and drive systems long before the engine goes on that thing. I'm feeding it Stihl HP Ultra at 50:1.

The Honda HR214 and its successors which can cost nearly $1000 are commericial machines and are absolutely the best out there. The HR214 has a shaft drive with a heavy duty dry clutch like a BMW motorcycle. It has a compression release (OHV) engine. When you empty the bag, the engine putt-putts at perfect idle. Every aspect of that machine is heavy duty. Every little detail is quality. There is nothing out there that even comes close. Properly maintained these machines can last a lifetime. Parts are available to maintain them.

[
Mowers2.jpg

Snapper circa 1984

Find yourself a Snapper mower similar to the one pictured but as old as possible. I have one with a 3.5hp Briggs from the mid 70's that will out mow any supposed 6hp new mower sold. My folks have a newer 4hp that is also great. The handles eventually fatiuge and break but they are easy to fix. Other than that there is nothing to go wrong on them and they are by far the best non-riding mower as far as I am concerned. Plus finding an old mower means not having to deal with the new safety things that kill the engine unless you keep a lever depressed, etc. I think Snapper kept the same basic deck up until just recently and they may even be making it still.

Yeah, I read that too but they ended up selling out to B&S anyway, then the hero of the story quit!

Snapper used to be really big around here but they have dried up and have been replaced by Honda and Toro at all the good local small professional lawn equipment houses. There are VERY few places left here that enthusiastically sell Snapper. I'm not knocking their product, their designs are excellent, and like Honda and Toro they have a distinct heirarchy of homeowner/prosumer/pro mowers for every taste. But around here anyway they seem to have faded away. My Stihl Dealer who is also a Toro (commercial), Honda (commercial) and Snapper (commercial) dealer is ceasing sales of Snapper mower after his inventory is gone. I don't know why for sure but I heard them mention that Snapper has become hard to deal with.

Well that sucks!

Used the Snapper for about 40 min this evening mowing a lawn for a neighbor whose mower is broke. The more I use that old dawg the more I appreciate how well made it is. Starting to take a bit of oil now, esp. on a hot day, just something I gotta watch. I don't run it hard, most folks here with more than 1/3 acre to mow get a rider.

Back