what's a good way to tell if you're running lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most obvious thing to me is it's slow to return to idle and idles high. It will also run hot but unless you have an IR temp gun I don't know how you would check. Could also be hard to start.

I hear you guys talk about running lean or rich. How's this new fella supposed to tell the difference?

Easy, all high rpms and very little power. If your saw revs to high heaven yet shows very little power in the cut chances are its running lean. If you rev your saw way up high out of the cut and it takes its real good time coming back to idle chances are its running lean... Lean means too much air, not enuff fuel...

Thanks

I appreciate the help, I believe I'm running a little lean. I will try and tweak it a little bit. Thanks for the explanations!

On a side note....I'm just gonna have to come pay you a visit. All this song writin' about you has really got me wanting to come buy a 361 from you myself just so I can meet ya.

I appreciate the help, I believe I'm running a little lean. I will try and tweak it a little bit. Thanks for the explanations!

On a side note....I'm just gonna have to come pay you a visit. All this song writin' about you has really got me wanting to come buy a 361 from you myself just so I can meet ya.

i bet Thall would just HATE to sell you a new saw...:laugh:

Lean

If your saw is running LEAN it will be doggy on acceleration, Have a white arond the exhaust and the spark plug will also be burning white in color.

Scott

you want a little "blubber" up top when you are wide open. Madsen's has some good advice and a page with audio links that let you listen to what a saw should sound like wide open.

There is a 3 way approach to checking if lean or rich. The guys here mostly tune by: 1..ear, listening for the 4-stroke burble at wide open throttle 2..Check the rpms with a 2-stroke tachometer to see if its close to recommended rpm 3..check the spark plug color by running the saw full throttle in the cut and shutting it off at WOT, then check the plug color. White or light grey is lean, black is rich. Chocolate or brown or a tan color is right on the money.

Well brother Hill don't be shy,
get in ya car and come on by.

Pull up a chair and set a spell,
grab this 361 and go give it hell.

Have a pepsi and take a look around,
Gald you finally made it to Leesburg town.

Enjoy that fine looking new saw now ya hear,
Drive safe and if ya ever need anything I'm right here.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

You need to become familiar with carb adjusting procedures, so you will
know how to finely tune your saw.

When adjusting the high speed screw clockwise, the rpms will rise until screaming, then will start to decline the farther you go, as it is becoming
way too lean. Backing the screw ccw until it slows and starts blurbling
rich, you want to remain on the "rich" side of the screaming, how to do
it correctly requires a tach to dial it in accurately.
Do a search here on carb adjusting for complete procedures, as it has been covered here pretty well many times.
But be aware, mis-adjusting the carb can melt your piston in under a minute. Since you already suspect it has been lean, remove the muffler and look at your piston.

You need to become familiar with carb adjusting procedures, so you will
know how to finely tune your saw.

When adjusting the high speed screw clockwise, the rpms will rise until screaming, then will start to decline the farther you go, as it is becoming
way too lean. Backing the screw ccw until it slows and starts blurbling
rich, you want to remain on the "rich" side of the screaming, how to do
it correctly requires a tach to dial it in accurately.
Do a search here on carb adjusting for complete procedures, as it has been covered here pretty well many times.
But be aware, mis-adjusting the carb can melt your piston in under a minute. Since you already suspect it has been lean, remove the muffler and look at your piston.

Good post, on the money...

Anyone ever use an IR temp gun to check how hot you're running?

White spark plug means too lean.
Brown plug is just right.
Heavy Black soot is too rich.

Another way to tell that your too lean is when the piston scores, not the best way to find out though:laugh:
Dam that sum's it up!
I can't even give the man any rep!Someone hit hime for that.
I do turn my saw off hitting the Kill switch in mid cut and check my plug from time to time. I am just a little too anal about that, I do find the New stuff harder to read as sometimes only half of the plug is the colour I want? I will leave it up to the pro's to know what I am saying here.

Last edited:
piston's good

After cutting Sat. I removed the muffler and looked at the piston. It looks good, so I haven't damaged anything yet I don't think. The reason I asked is it sounded a little different (screaming?), so I thought I might ask. I just recently cleaned the air filter and messed with the carb adjustments a little, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I would feel awful bout that, probably as bad as I would feel winning the lottery,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe need to work in the 3 saw plan..... ?

Well brother Hill don't be shy,
get in ya car and come on by.

No need to ask the reasons why, you'll understan,
my famous idea called the 3 saw plan.

Pull up a chair and set a spell,
grab this 361 and go give it hell.

Have a pepsi and take a look around,
Gald you finally made it to Leesburg town.

Enjoy that fine looking new saw now ya hear,
Drive safe and if ya ever need anything I'm right here.​

Back