what's an 041 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thinking of selling my Stihl 041, starts and runs good. But just not been using it.

What's an 041 in decent condition worth?

Thanks in advance.

Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, I suggest you put it up here, and suggest that people make an offer on it. I would. if it were an 044, 046 or something like that, I'd go ahead and ask about $200 for it starting price.

i just got $150 for my 032 AVEQ in near mint condition. i put it on ebay with 150 as the BIN.. the guy that bought it turned out to be 4 miles away and only had to drive about 6 min.. LOL funny how some things turn out!

I'd agree closely with fwf, and maybe even say a little more. It's a good enough saw in good condition, but I don't think it has the old school following that the 031, 045, and 056 have. My advice is to put it on ebay with a reserve of whatever you have in it for parts, if you wish, and let the guys go crazy on it. Many times guys will bid more on a saw than it's worth, just because they don't want to see the other guy get it. I've sold some saws for way more than what they're worth on ebay. Buying on there is like a sickness, and some folks just get crazy.

Jeff

not much experience with it. but a friend has one that he thinks is a member of the family. its just his saw ,and he knows how to get the best out of it.
i was sellin some saws and cut against him with my 036 and the best chain i know how to put out. he told his friends that he had finally met his match. if thats true ,it wasnt by much. as it seemed about even to me. if they are that good ,id ebay an hope u find somebody like him ,whos saw has finally died or something.
i know if mikes saw was gone no tellin what he would pay to get another. in fact if i see him ,i mite mention it to him.good luck

$100 dollars tops, If it looks pristine (never been used). It's heavy, bulky, cuts slow and has no chain break. Believe me I have one. An 026 will cut circles around it all day long and weight substantially less. The only 041 that was semi respectable was the 041 Super. The 041 was the Stihl homeowner saw of the 70's. enuff said.

OK, thanks everyone...

I'll stick it on ebay and see how it goes...

In just average condition 046, the 041's are fetching $150 on E-Bay. Superb condition 041's nail down $175-$200 and I've seen Supers (in great shape) go for over $250. A few months ago, an 041G, in worse shape than mine, was hovering around the $400 mark. I've been more than happy with the performance of mine over the years - the weight is a small price to pay for the quality and durability of this series saw.

i am asking $100.00 for my 041 plus shipping. it is a little dirty(been sitting on the bottom shelf for years) but cleans up nice. runs like a good 041. it is worth $100.00 even if someone is going to part it out.

Great saw

Yes, heavy, yes, old, but it is a bulletproof firewood saw with power to burn. I was cutting oak with my 041 Farm Boss today and it was effortless (well, the cutting was, anyways). I know there are "faster" saws out there but as a homeowner poking around in the woods looking for downed oak, the 400 or so RPM difference between a newer saw and the 041 simply isn't a factor. Most of the time is spent driving, reconoitering, and loading.

I suppose if you're the guy who hammers all day with a saw then there are much better saws out there for you. But if you're Joe Blow (that'd be me) out cutting firewood for winter, the 041 is a great old machine, reliable and powerful. I bought mine for $100 on EBAY and I've cut about $600 worth of firewood with it. The saw was totally worth it.

I liked the 041 thirty years ago. A real good farm/ranch saw. I picked one up at the shop the other day. Dang, they sure have put on weight over the years lol

to me the bottum line on any equipment is that the user know it so well it almost becomes a part ofum. thats really the secrete to getting the best out of it. jmo

yes, i still have it. just got an e-mail about it yesterday though. i was in the shed the other day and may have uncovered some parts ones too. i have to check and see what they are. marty

canguy21 said:
I liked the 041 thirty years ago. A real good farm/ranch saw. I picked one up at the shop the other day. Dang, they sure have put on weight over the years lol

Over the years? I only use mine occasionally. Had to take it in for a new sprocket last week. That thang gained at least 5 pounds in a month.

Harry K

$100 dollars tops, If it looks pristine (never been used). It's heavy, bulky, cuts slow and has no chain break. Believe me I have one. An 026 will cut circles around it all day long and weight substantially less. The only 041 that was semi respectable was the 041 Super. The 041 was the Stihl homeowner saw of the 70's. enuff said.
Maybe in little stuff an 026 will beat it, but when stuff is around 20" I would like to see an 026 beat an 041, they are heavy though I'll give you that. Lowend is where they shine.

Depends...

I have been using one for years. Farmboss. Like mentioned, ya get used to 1 machine. Then a buddy dropped a tree on it. I have since repaired it to "functional" Handle is custom, case is leaking oil.

Perfect excuse to max out the credit card on a 046.
Which is a awsum saw.

Heavy? About the same as the 046. Powerful? Not exactly, but they hold their own. Slow? Compared to saws 30 years newer, yes. But back in the "day" these things were awsum. Plus I always like a saw that STARTS! My 041 has always been easy to get going.

You have parts? Enough for me to re-configure my parts into a mint origional 041 ?? Let me know....

just curious, how many differences between an .031 and .032?

Back