What's changed in the 385XP since introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this again under a different, more descriptive title in hopes of getting more response.

I got a new 385XPG the other day, and it's manufacture date is the end of 2003, so it's been sitting in inventory for quite a while. It's brand new and came from the Husky depot in Salt Lake, which is the only place they had the XPGs.

I'm trying to understand what changes have been made (and when) to this model since its introduction so I can decide whether I should go back and insist on a more recent production model?

What I have heard so far is:

- Rev limited coil - I don't mind having this.
- New style fuel and oil caps - I want these
- EPA carb - I have a H screw limiter already. If all that was added later was a L screw limiter, I'm OK with that too (it can be "fixed")
- Modified carb base after 0309xxxx - I already have this (I'm 0350xxx)
- Improved PTO bearing and seal after 0439xxx- this a care about
- Improved oil pump pinion after 0515xxx - this I care about

Right now I'm thinking I want a current product unit, not this older unit.

What do you guys think?

twistedtree said:
I'm posting this again under a different, more descriptive title in hopes of getting more response.

I got a new 385XPG the other day, and it's manufacture date is the end of 2003, so it's been sitting in inventory for quite a while. It's brand new and came from the Husky depot in Salt Lake, which is the only place they had the XPGs.

I'm trying to understand what changes have been made (and when) to this model since its introduction so I can decide whether I should go back and insist on a more recent production model?

What I have heard so far is:

- Rev limited coil - I don't mind having this.
- New style fuel and oil caps - I want these
- EPA carb - I have a H screw limiter already. If all that was added later was a L screw limiter, I'm OK with that too (it can be "fixed")
- Modified carb base after 0309xxxx - I already have this (I'm 0350xxx)
- Improved PTO bearing and seal after 0439xxx- this a care about
- Improved oil pump pinion after 0515xxx - this I care about

Right now I'm thinking I want a current product unit, not this older unit.

What do you guys think?
Throttle trigger was changed after 0439xxx (Used to plug up and limit cable travel preventing throttle from returning to idle position)

Latest posts

Back