What's everyone's honest opinions on the "outdated" 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that 261 to work on??? :ices_rofl:
No problems but I haven't really had to do anything real Major biggest Job on it was I had to take the cylinder off because the Builder got a dodgy batch of sealer so I had to reseal the cylinder base as it dosen't have a gasket.

No problems but I haven't really had to do anything real Major biggest Job on it was I had to take the cylinder off because the Builder got a dodgy batch of sealer so I had to reseal the cylinder base as it dosen't have a gasket.
I had a 261cm. Was a very good saw. Looked like it had been through 2 wars when I got it, but always ran and cut like new. I sold it though because stihls bring ridiculous amounts of money around here. And my Huskys work just fine, so the stihls always get sent to the chopping block when i have a new project to fund haha.

I had a 261cm. Was a very good saw. Looked like it had been through 2 wars when I got it, but always ran and cut like new. I sold it though because stihls bring ridiculous amounts of money around here. And my Huskys work just fine, so the stihls always get sent to the chopping block when i have a new project to fund haha.
I had a husky 262xp now that was pos and a 390xp sold them both and the only stihl I ever sold was a 260 .

Mu
I had a husky 262xp now that was pos and a 390xp sold them both and the only stihl I ever sold was a 260 .
262xp is one of the most sought after saws they made along with the 242 and 246xp. What trouble did you have with it? They are pretty much bulletproof saws if you keep em tuned with fresh mix.

Filtration is the only drawback on the 026 I have. Nothing a dab of grease doesn't fix. My brother found it in a ditch with a bunch of parts missing. ,cost me about $100 to get running. Great saw for its time. Poor thing doesn't get run much now that I have the 261CM.

Got a 026 and a 260. The 260 seems to cut a little faster, but that’s probably do to better tuning. My 026 seems to need to be retuned occasionally. Both are great saws, but I trade them both for a new 261c!

Got a 026 and a 260. The 260 seems to cut a little faster, but that’s probably do to better tuning. My 026 seems to need to be retuned occasionally. Both are great saws, but I trade them both for a new 261c!

Probably wouldn't be hard to do. They seem to sell for $250-300 around here depending on what they look like. 261 goes for a little under $600 right?

Very easy to work on, there are a ton of them in Northern California and it seems like at least once a week I am doing a tune up on one or two of them. I have three 026s that have scored pistons that were left behind by customers. I have not done anything with them because I have a 261 and a Husqvarna 353 (my go to 20’ saw)
Some day in the future I will clean/buff the cylinders and throw an OEM piston in one of them. I don’t sell saws so I’m in no rush, and it’s hard to get motivated when I work on saws all day long at work, but someday....

Mu
262xp is one of the most sought after saws they made along with the 242 and 246xp. What trouble did you have with it? They are pretty much bulletproof saws if you keep em tuned with fresh mix.
Every time I put it on the ground it would fall over on it's side it leaked oil it leak to petrol just not enough grunt and it was only running 38 18 inch but for Australian wood waste of time .

ya that a couple of the worst saw's Husqvarna made, right along with the 372 and 346xp ......real trash....... :oops:
Oh I'm glad you seen the light as above and the 390 was the same every time you put it down that it fall over it leaked bar oil and it leaked fuel funny thing is I've never had a stihl do any of that occasionally fall over yeah but never leak bar oil and never leaked fuel .

Back