Whats in your wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I get my wood from many different sources in varying quantities this leads to having a wide variety of species. As I was inspecting my piles I began to notice all the different type of wood I had, and was surprised when I counted 17 different types, here they are in order by what I have the most of to the least:

Sugar Maple
American Beech
White Ash
Cherry
Norway maple
Apple
Shag bark hickory
Black walnut
Black birch
Black locust
Mulberry
Red Oak
White pine
White Oak
Silver maple
Pig nut hickory
Dogwood

I enjoy getting a species I have never used before and seeing how it performs. This is my first year with American Beech and I love the stuff, I got ½ a pickup load of Dogwood and have to say it is a lousy wood.

What’s in your wood pile? And are you burning anything this year you have never used before?

And are you burning anything this year you have never used before?

Willow and lots of it. Wood is wood though for the most part and it allows me to get the house warmed up quick in the morning or evening before a full loading of other wood.

Currently I am using-

Willow
Black Walnut
Maple - thinking silver
Red Oak
Cherry
Elm
Sasafrass
Poplar
Ash
Apple

Ash
Box Elder (I have been told)
Cherry
Crabapple
Maple
Red Oak
White Oak

I enjoy thinking back to where and when I scored the wood, maybe what saw(s) I used, etc. I usually burn about two cords a year as a casual / fireplace burner, so it is not difficult for me to remember the woods history. For those who burn considerably more I would think that is a bit more challenging -- especially when it gets mixed together next to the stove / burner.

My pile consists of:
texas red oak
live oak
post oak
cedar (juniper)
pecan
mesquite
silver maple
yew
cedar elm
american elm
green ash

First time I have cut any maple, sure splits easy, and burns well. The yew came from a removal, I didn't even know what yew was. I let it sit for a year, and burned a little of it to see what happens. It burned like it was soaked in gasoline.

I started the season with cottonwood. Then moved to maple when it got colder. Here is what we have in out pile....

Cottonwood, Maple, Sassafrass, Walnut, Locust, Red Oak, Wild Cherry, Elm, Ash, Apple, Osage Orange, Shagbark Hickory

Before we got our new furnace, I wouldn't burn cottonwood, or other woods like that. They would burn too fast. Now with the new furnace I could wake up with coals from cottonwood and it heats the house just fine. Since then I realized if its wood and its free I don't care what it is. I'll just burn the softer stuff for the fall and spring and save the denser stuff for winter.

I have more of a variety than I typically have:

Sugar Maple
Red Maple
Red Oak
White Oak
Shagbark Hickory
Black Locust
Paper Birch
Ash
and probably one or two others that I can't think of right now

It will take me a while to think about this and I'm also no tree expert but the wood that I'm sure of

White oak
red oak
pin oak
red elm
sycamore
yellow maple
red maple
norway maple
sassafrass
black locust
yellow locust
cherry
hickory
chestnut
white pine
yellow pine
ash

I have a few loads of other wood that I'm not sure of.
Chinese elm?
maples?
osage orange?

We had a sewer line project go through our area several years ago and alot of good was left aroundthat I didn't drop. I'll burn whatever fits in the door and sort thriugh my pile and burn what works best at nite, and the soft wood in the day.

I get my wood from many different sources in varying quantities this leads to having a wide variety of species. As I was inspecting my piles I began to notice all the different type of wood I had, and was surprised when I counted 17 different types, here they are in order by what I have the most of to the least:

Sugar Maple
American Beech
White Ash
Cherry
Norway maple
Apple
Shag bark hickory
Black walnut
Black birch
Black locust
Mulberry
Red Oak
White pine
White Oak
Silver maple
Pig nut hickory
Dogwood

I enjoy getting a species I have never used before and seeing how it performs. This is my first year with American Beech and I love the stuff, I got ½ a pickup load of Dogwood and have to say it is a lousy wood.

What’s in your wood pile? And are you burning anything this year you have never used before?

sounds like you have a good variety growing where you live . That sure does make it interesting.

White oak
Red oak
thornless honey locust
black walnut
black cherry
green ash
white ash
red elm
american elm
siberian elm
box elder
sliver maple
red maple
sugar (hard/rock) maple
buckthorn
willow
apple
hackberry
some kind of Pine (don't know my softwoods)

No hickory or Black locust but sure would like to try some.

Can't complain with this variety, but it seems that all newer growth around here is weed trees - siberian elm & box elder with lots of buckthorn around it.

I'm a scrounger and for the most part I take what I can get. Craigslist has been an ok source. I'm fortunate in that I belong to a local conservancy group. We tend to and blaze new horse trails in Caledonia and between blow-downs and new trails I get a great assortment of wood.

Ash
Red oak
White oak
Walnut
Hawthorne
Black locust
Hard maple
Beech
Cherry
A small amount of pine and box elder
Am. Elm

Now I just have to decide on the new chainsaw and I'm all set.

Dave

we have a wood stove in the shop we have some:
white oak
pin oak
red oak
and some sycamore(i think thats how you spell it)

White oak
Red oak
Ash
Hard maple
Soft maple
Honey lucust
Bass wood
Hackberry
White pine
Norway spruce
Sycamore just a pinch
Old tires, heat supplement
Crickets
Ants
Spiders
Mice
Rabbits
Fungus

From trees native to eastern Kansas, majority have been blowdowns, or a few trees cut to clear pasture or fencing area.
Red Oak
Black Walnut
Hackberry
Shagbark Hickory
Sycamore
little bit of elm

Had two substantial cottonwoods removed because they were close to the barn, but don't have that in my woodpile.

Just got some bur oak in this fall, but still needs to get split and seasoned.

Now the OCD types will appreciate this (note:cribs are 8' long x 5' high, one row)
Crib 1 = Black Walnut
Crib 2 = Black Cherry
Crib 3 through 8 = Red Oak
Crib 9 through 14 = White Oak
Crib 15 to 17 = Yellow Locust
Crib 18 to 20 = Red Oak
Pallet 1 = Black Walnut
Pallet 2 to 5 = Red Oak
Pallet 6 = Red Cedar (mostly ends up as kindling or carving stuff for birdhouses)

Black locust
red oak
Black locust
cherry
Black locust
....and a little more locust

Back