Whats in your wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have saw, will cut, it does not matter how big or tree or what type. Wood is wood and man has to have heat!!!:chainsawguy:
Elm
Cottonwood
Pine

Inside:

Bur Oak
Ash
Mulberry
Honeylocust
Hackberry
Osage Orange

Outside:
Ash
Bur Oak
Hickory
Cherry
Mulberry
Osage Orange

Smoking Stash
Apple
Cherry
Peach
Hickory

I have a load of Mulberry & Cherry to unload & split and then maybe Red Elm hunting.

Don

Hedge
Elm
Hackberry
Mullberry
Pine
White oak
Cottonwood
Locust
Ash (green I think)

I try to make sure I plant as many trees as I take down, even if they are already dead, I seem to have cut a lot of dead standing elm in the past few years. I have planted around 150 on my farm in the past 5 years. I know I haven't cut that many down. It's a lot easier to plant a tree (with a 3 pt. post hole digger), than it is to cut them down and process them for firewood.

Greetings everyone and sorry for spoiling your North American flora party, but here it goes from this side of the puddle a bit of native Mediterranean or imported and Mediterranean grown species, including fruit trees. I will write some scientific names once in a while for the most curious fellows to search in the net how these trees look like.

Fruit trees:

Plum
Apricot
Peach
Olive
Citrus
Pear

Forestry species:

Cupressus sempervires
Pinus halepensis
Laurus nobilis
Quercus coccifera
Populus alba
Cercis siliquastrum
Ceratonia siliqua
Eucalyptus rostrata
Rahmnus alaternus

Melia azedarach

...Yes, I know, I am a firewood scavenger that takes every oportunity to harvest wood from orchards and private people's gardens :blush: ...

Last edited:
My wood for this year consists of a majority of red oak but also the following:

White oak
ash
silver maple
sugar maple
honey locust
black locust
black cherry
black walnut
cherry(fruit)
catalpa
beech
pine
poplar
sweet gum

:blob2:

A nice variety, dictated by my location in southern Ohio and the whims of craigslist free wood posters.

Brian

black cherry
maple
red oak
white oak
chesnut oak
pin oak
ash
poplar
locust
elm
birch
beech
shagbark hickory
pignut hickory
black walnut

i try to keep a good variety

Wink Martindale, tell me what I've "won" for having the most types of wood in my pile!

Prolly a lump of coal or a stick of poplar, I know....

...and no smart-aleck better try and top my list now that a major award is on the line.

Red Maple
Red Oak
Ash

Box Elder occasionally, have some Shagbark Hickory but I haven't cut that section of the property yet.

Try to cut about 2/3rds Red Maple, 1/3rd everything else as part of long-term woodlot improvement -- take out the garbage to give the red oaks and other top notch hardwoods more space.

I also try to leave the Ash. I don't have that many, and while they'll eventually probably get ash yellows or even more eventually Emerald Ash Borers...I figure I let them mature as much as possible. (Plus they're nice as emergency wood).

I have a few Beeches, White Oak, Sugar Maples...those I also try to avoid just because I only have a few and like to try and keep the woods diverse.

western larch, douglas fir, white pine, anything I can find dead standing or good blowdown. Up here in PNW it is mostly evergreen but occasionally I can find a good oak or birch.

I have a whole bunch of different species as well. Here goes:

Sugar Maple
American Beech
White Ash
Pin Oak
Shag bark hickory
Black walnut
Red Oak
White Oak
Silver maple
Dogwood
Gum
Chestnut
Paper Birch

I think that is all.

Honey Locust seasoned well
Red Oak, apparently not seasoned well
Sweet gum, doesn't matter seasoned or not it burns great
Pine, same as sweet gum
Sycamore, haven't had the pleasure of burning it yet.

Coming soon: an old dead standing Red Bud!!! can't wait to cut it down.

Last edited:
What I'm burning this winter is mostly White Oak and Hickory, and a little Red Oak.
But looks like next year will be White Oak and a lot of Ash. The EAB has put a dent in the Ash tree population here this summer. So been cutting a lot of it this summer/fall. Looks like will cutting a lot more in the future too, unfortunately.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back