What's in Your Woodpile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this is my second winter in a home, and my first doing the firewood all by myself. we have a fireplace xtrordinaire, and really love it last winter. i managed to get together about 3.5-4 cords of wood, and have a mix of lots of differnet wood. got some from the town, some from a friend, and some from trees we cut down on our property. types in from largest amount to smallest, as best i can remember: maple (not sure what kind), red oak, hemlock, black locust, chinkapin oak, ash, dogwood, basswood. live in northern NJ.

Last year my pile was all black oak and beech. Could have had a CRAPLOAD of white oak and locust for this year... but storage was an issue, plus I didn't want to have to sit on it for a year and a half so I got rid of it all like a moron. Now I'm pretty much stuck with red maple.

What's in Your Woodpile?

mice. keeps my dog busy trying to get them, and sometimes she knocks the wood over digging at them.

Nothing but old cedar 4x4 wood posts from fences that I tear down. This year or next will be different. When I can post a picture I will take one of the mesquite pile then all you guys can drool over the size of a Texas wood pile.

Just kidding, not too big as it is a ton of work. I have enough now to burn part of the winter, or cook for a year, or smoke for three years.

I may wait to picture when the pigs start moving and I have some in the smoker, then you guys will really want to move to Texas. lol.

Like always its mainly white oak but his year I have a much bigger mix than normal. I have been scoring some dried out barkless driftwood from the floods earlier this year and some of it is mystery wood.

red oak, apple, walnut, willow, white ash, black locust, silver maple, sugar maple.... that's what you get when you depend on yard trees I guess!

-burr oak (standing dead from riverbank, nice stuff for the -30°C weather)
-white elm (standing dead in my yard, ~30 year old stuff, 8-16" dia.)
-Manitoba maple
-poplar
-pine/spruce
-tamarack (purchased, $160/full cord)
-and weeds ('cuz I didn't keep up this summer)

Red and White Oak on the right and Black locust on the left. Also have some Box Elder and different Maples mixed in. 7 Cords total, should be good for the next 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Red and White Oak on the right and Black locust on the left. Also have some Box Elder and different Maples mixed in. 7 Cords total, should be good for the next 2 seasons.

that is some neatly stacked firewood!

I try to mix it up for variety for myself; Oak, Cherry, Apple, Black Locust, White Birch, Sycamore, Walnut, Pear, Maple, Dogwood, Hickory and probably some more that I forgot. I'm in a great area for a variety of woods, as you probably are in Northern Jersey.

Tuna, I reckon that you don't park your car in that garage anymore? :D

Bunch of half-dry Elm and some green sugar maple. Might be able to burn the elm late in the winter, I bet I can burn it in Feb-Mar. if I run out of other stuff. A friend of mine is giving me about a cord of dry stuff that needs to be burned this year or it will start to rot. Will be my first year using a heavy little stove made by US stove, looks like a nice unit and it should be perfect for heating my shop and part of my home.

For this winter I have Ash, Hickory, Oak, Maple and cherry. Next winter it looks like I'll have Oak and Hickory.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I try to mix it up for variety for myself; Oak, Cherry, Apple, Black Locust, White Birch, Sycamore, Walnut, Pear, Maple, Dogwood, Hickory and probably some more that I forgot. I'm in a great area for a variety of woods, as you probably are in Northern Jersey.

Tuna, I reckon that you don't park your car in that garage anymore? :D

hoping to park in my garage again someday :biggrinbounce2: we are in what seems to be a perennial state of construction/indecision with the side yard. plan is to stack the wood against the side of the garage once we figure out what to do with the yard. it's just dirt at the moment. i read in another thread that some people put crushed stone down underneath their piles. any suggestions other than crushed stone?

any suggestions other than crushed stone?

Put some heavy plastic down first, then the stone, no weeds during the off season.

I've used old pallets and it has worked well for me, but they are set on some old cracked concrete slabs, nothing digs under the stacks that way. I'd be tempted to put down large patio blocks or even pour a slab, 3" would work for wood or a car.

Here's my pile, stacked in Sept, 2006, silver maple, (burr,red,white) oak, willow, elm, cherry, box elder, buckthorn, hickory, a little ash, and some other stuff.

firewood004.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back