What's it worth? Stihl MS170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 13 year old Stihl MS170 chain saw. It's been as reliable as dirt, and still runs great. It's always been an easy starter. I have other saws, but this has always been my "go-to saw" because it's so light and just a pleasure to use. I've never spent any money on repairs for it. But now the chain isn't getting any oil. I'm not mechanical enough to tackle the repair. Dealer wants $60 to $75 in labor to fix it. But I can buy a new MS170 for $179. So what's a used MS170 that runs great, but needs either the oiler replaced, or the oil line in the oil tank replaced, worth? Any offers?

Thanks Guys

Don <><

I have a 13 year old Stihl MS170 chain saw. It's been as reliable as dirt, and still runs great. It's always been an easy starter. I have other saws, but this has always been my "go-to saw" because it's so light and just a pleasure to use. I've never spent any money on repairs for it. But now the chain isn't getting any oil. I'm not mechanical enough to tackle the repair. Dealer wants $60 to $75 in labor to fix it. But I can buy a new MS170 for $179. So what's a used MS170 that runs great, but needs either the oiler replaced, or the oil line in the oil tank replaced, worth? Any offers?

Thanks Guys

Don <><

I would think that someone on here could talk you thru the repair process. :innocent:

Probably not worth the shipping. I would give taking it apart a try. Once apart, order parts, then see if you can get it fixed. If you dont, all you are out is the cost of parts. The oiler cant be that complex on such a cheap saw. Have you checked the oil pick up filter/cleaned any holes in bar or bar pad?

replacing the oiler worm gear is simple enough on these saws you should be able to do it yourself, do a search on here for clutch removal. i would also look to see if the oiler filter is clogged with debris, also check the oil hole on the bar if its clogged with wood chips it definitely wont oil.

OP here. I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I tore into her. Got the oil line out. That was kind of a chore because I had to take off the handle and carb ! Cleaned and blew out the oil line. Got everything back together. IT'S FIXED ! ! ! Oiler works just fine now, so I'm keep'n it. This puppy just won't die. I love it ! ! ! I have a brand new MS290 Farm Boss that I hardly ever use. I bought it because the little 170 was getting long in the tooth. But she still likes ta rip in to wood. I treated her to a new PowerSharp system. Does that ever work slick ! ! ! Thanks for all your help guys.

Don <><

Back