what's on your bench?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ribbin' you a bit.

Yeah it looks quite a bit like one. The 60cc gives it a little bit more power then one though.

Never heard of "Aldens" before. Was that a hardware chain? The saw does look very well made. Two more CC than an SXL, and five more than an XL12. Does it have a pyramid reed setup like an SXL? Does it have a Tilly HS carb? Does it take the Homelite XL pattern bar? Wonder if the air filters and/or other parts would interchange....:cheers:

Got my McCulloch 77 back together. That was an adventure. I'm letting the gasket sealer set overnight. Will fire it up tomorrow. Hopefully, that tired old metering diaphragm will work well enough so I can pack the saw up and ship it to Mark H. I'm eager to get it to someone who will enjoy it...............and I'm eager to get the saw he's sending in trade!:cheers:

Still need to try to fire up Randy's 790, and to measure the bore in my McCulloch Saw of Mystery. Also hope to have enough time before work tomorrow to see if the my freebee Homelite Super-XL12 will fire up and run.

Hey.........................this is my 1100th post! Gotta keep an eye out for a Homelite XP1100.....:givebeer:

Last edited:
My bench is now empty. Although i have a few
projects that need to be addressed. I also just
got in a Homelite 1130G that needs a piston and
maybe a cylinder but won't know till it's appart.

Lee

Lee old buddy if you don't have anything to do I got a 900D
I could send you to fix up for me.:):)

Never heard of "Aldens" before. Was that a hardware chain? The saw does look very well made. Two more CC than an SXL, and five more than an XL12. Does it have a pyramid reed setup like an SXL? Does it have a Tilly HS carb? Does it take the Homelite XL pattern bar? Wonder if the air filters and/or other parts would interchange....:cheers:

Got my McCulloch 77 back together. That was an adventure. I'm letting the gasket sealer set overnight. Will fire it up tomorrow. Hopefully, that tired old metering diaphragm will work well enough so I can pack the saw up and ship it to Mark H. I'm eager to get it to someone who will enjoy it...............and I'm eager to get the saw he's sending in trade!:cheers:

Still need to try to fire up Randy's 790, and to measure the bore in my McCulloch Saw of Mystery. Also hope to have enough time before work tomorrow to see if the my freebee Homelite Super-XL12 will fire up and run.

Hey.........................this is my 1100th post! Gotta keep an eye out for a Homelite XP1100.....:givebeer:

Aldens was a department store, kinda like Sears. They put out a catalog and you could buy parts by mail or go to their store. They went the way of the Edsel.

Aldens was a department store, kinda like Sears. They put out a catalog and you could buy parts by mail or go to their store. They went the way of the Edsel.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for that info. Were they limited to one paticular region, or were they nationwide? About when did they go out of business? Wonder who made that saw for them. Remington or Lombard maybe? Some of their saws sure look like they're kissing cousins of the XL12/SXL family...:givebeer:

Interesting stuff. Thanks for that info. Were they limited to one paticular region, or were they nationwide. About when did they go out of business? Wonder who made that saw for them. Remington or Lombard maybe? Some of their saws sure look like they're kissing cousins of the XL12/SXL family...:givebeer:

I think it was made by Poulan. Looks like a 361 or something like that. Aldens was in my hometown of Bloomington Indiana in the fifties. I don't know a whole lot about them except they sold most everything, like kitchen appliances, lawn mowers, saws, and about anything you could get at Sears. If I remember correctly they may have been a little higher priced, but I may have them confused with Spiegel, which was another catalog store. I don't remember ever being in the Aldens store but I may have..it's been 60 years. I also don't remember the exact time they went out of business but imagine it was in the sixties or seventys. We had moved from Bloomington in 1959 and I kind of lost track.

Just thought I'd mention it...back then you could buy a rifle from the catalog and get it mailed to your house!

Last edited:
By the way, I have a saw just about like the Aldens but mine is orange. It's a Dayton 2z462a if I remember correctly. It's made by Poulan. I still haven't gotten it to run yet. Maybe I'll start on it pretty soon. It just needs some fuel system maintenance.
If you put the orange saw next to the XL12 they are similar but I don't think any parts are interchangeable unless maybe the spark plug might fit. I am thinking about trying to see if the air filter might work since mine doesn't have one.

Last edited:
I think it was made by Poulan. Looks like a 361 or something like that. Aldens was in my hometown of Bloomington Indiana in the fifties. I don't know a whole lot about them except they sold most everything, like kitchen appliances, lawn mowers, saws, and about anything you could get at Sears. If I remember correctly they may have been a little higher priced, but I may have them confused with Spiegel, which was another catalog store. I don't remember ever being in the Aldens store but I may have..it's been 60 years. I also don't remember the exact time they went out of business but imagine it was in the sixties or seventys. We had moved from Bloomington in 1959 and I kind of lost track.

Just thought I'd mention it...back then you could buy a rifle from the catalog and get it mailed to your house!

By the way, I have a saw just about like the Aldens but mine is orange. It's a Dayton 2z462a if I remember correctly. It's made by Poulan. I still haven't gotten it to run yet. Maybe I'll start on it pretty soon. It just needs some fuel system maintenance.
If you put the orange saw next to the XL12 they are similar but I don't think any parts are interchangeable unless maybe the spark plug might fit. I am thinking about trying to see if the air filter might work since mine doesn't have one.

Facinating. Don't some Poulan saws use the same bar mount as the XL-series Homelites? That'd make sense here. I remember seeing an orange Dayton at a yard sale a while ago. It looked like a bigger brother to an XL12. Didn't buy it because the seller wanted something crazy for it ($150 IIRC, and it was in rough shape). Checked the model specs on the Acres site that evening. Think it was 4.5-ish ci.

Mail order firearms. Wish I could have experienced the pre-GCA of 1968 days...

I hope you can use an XL12 family air filter, as they're still in production (and cheap).:cheers:

i have an old j.c Higgins sold by sears mail order back before the law now it's becoming more rare, never mind that i got it at the reno gun show and paid cash for it. also it's kinda odd to walk around a hotel with a .22 rifle on your back and your friend walking next to you with 1,500 rounds of .30-06

Facinating. Don't some Poulan saws use the same bar mount as the XL-series Homelites? That'd make sense here. I remember seeing an orange Dayton at a yard sale a while ago. It looked like a bigger brother to an XL12. Didn't buy it because the seller wanted something crazy for it ($150 IIRC, and it was in rough shape). Checked the model specs on the Acres site that evening. Think it was 4.5-ish ci.

I hope you can use an XL12 family air filter, as they're still in production (and cheap).:cheers:

Yes it is made by Poulan and is a 361. Yes on the reed setup, yes on the HS carb. Yes on the bar pad exept like all Poulans from them they used 5/16" bar studs.

No on the filter, in fact this saw is all Poulan and while alot of things look the same and nothing that I can think of off hand will interchange. Maybe some ign points or something will but I never looked that close.

Lee old buddy if you don't have anything to do I got a 900D
I could send you to fix up for me.:):)

Hey ole buddy, Your bench must be full.
I've seen your resto's and mighty nice work.
Whatcha got cookin these days, I would be
more than happy to tackle your 900D, Not
so sure you would get it back though:laugh::laugh:

Lee

Yes it is made by Poulan and is a 361. Yes on the reed setup, yes on the HS carb. Yes on the bar pad exept like all Poulans from them they used 5/16" bar studs.

No on the filter, in fact this saw is all Poulan and while alot of things look the same and nothing that I can think of off hand will interchange. Maybe some ign points or something will but I never looked that close.

Yeah, I tried the filter and the hole's in the wrong place and it's about 1/4" smaller. I also tried some McCulloch and other Homelites, nothing would work. I even tried a Pioneer 1200 and it was too little. Since the saw doesn't run right now I don't guess it'll suck in too much dirt. I have a friend that has a shop that has lots of old new stuff..think I'll pay him a visit.

Last edited:
Several saws used Sunday with a good filin' coming.

A 120 super, and a 120si parts saws, and the mac 7-10 e85 mule.

Since Dan Can was kind enough to drop this off to me on Saturday, it has taken precedent over all the others, they can wait. LOL

alaska%202010%20174.jpg

alaska%202010%20175.jpg

alaska%202010%20181.jpg

alaska%202010%20177.jpg

371xp Skidder Victim, ya its still not fixed
372xp another one in the process
2065 Possibly a 372 Top End if not just rings
038 idle issue, chain needs some "adjustment" after someone got carried away with the grinder on the rakers
350 Runs wide open only.

Hey ole buddy, Your bench must be full.
I've seen your resto's and mighty nice work.
Whatcha got cookin these days, I would be
more than happy to tackle your 900D, Not
so sure you would get it back though:laugh::laugh:

Lee

Ahh your no fun.:laugh:
Have not had any time for full resto's.
I did find a Super 1130G for that nice big bar I have.:D
I will post some pics in the Homelite thread or somewhere.

Nice Pioneer Jerry ;)
What are you drinking in that Jar? :D:D

Would you believe that came out of the fuel tank. Close to the consistiency of molasses, there was a dissolved rubber pickup hose,several of the old style weighted pickup/screens, bits of metal chain that held the fuel cap on and there was actually a newer pickup line and a nearly dissolved metal pickup weight all stuck to the bottom of the tank in a thick gooey mat. I will show a pict of what cleaned all that stuff out in just one nights sitting.

Pioneerguy600

Ahh your no fun.:laugh:
Have not had any time for full resto's.
I did find a Super 1130G for that nice big bar I have.:D
I will post some pics in the Homelite thread or somewhere.

I hear ya on the full resto's.
I"m getting a bit burn't out myself, and
so isn't my bank account. Please post a
few pic's of the bad 1130G.
I found a couple in the last few weeks.
One needed a carb kit which i did last night.
The other i just got needs a top end. Ebay deal
but a nice saw. Probably my next rebuild but
not a full resto.

Lee

Back