What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally had my second 272 (the one with the Power Match bar) leave the desk in my bedroom, which has been its home since April. A buddy hooked me up with a clutch cover and carb for it which were the last things it needed. All I’ve gotta do now is tune it. The saw has the early, non-decomp cylinder and is a real bear to pull over. Also, I cleaned up the bench in the shop, got the 281 finished and put away, and mocked up the 372, which only needs a piston ring before I can finish assembling it.
27460D23-EC72-4C0A-9C09-A3D148346DCD.jpeg2112E51A-82B5-4D15-8C30-348F3B252639.jpegC6B9411C-1E0A-4168-B5DF-7B1C9C8F9638.jpeg

I've had several saws that were equipped with the easy start feature that the owner wants removed and the conventional starter installed. My latest is a MS251, owner says he can't start it with the ez start so I have a conventional starter and flywheel ordered...

Well, I was discharged from the hospital right after lunch and found that the new sprocket for the 61 Rancher from hell (that I ordered in July!) had arrived whilst I was gone. I couldn’t think better way to spend my first afternoon of freedom other than installing the sprocket on the saw so it can leave my bench and never, ever come back! :dancing: Getting that saw off of my bench made my week and the mere thought of it leaving inspired me to tackle all this with a bandaged up right hand, covered in fresh skin grafts. (Side note: Why is it that your buddy’s/family member’s saw you volunteer to fix for the price of parts develops more new problems every time you fix a known problem than any saw you charge for labor on or fix for yourself?) Sorry, these are the only two pics I took of the whole ordeal.
6C7D5AD8-FD25-40DF-B9D2-7C4394AC0A0D.jpegC799C412-7F60-4FF6-96E9-9DE7FC615A1D.jpeg

I rebuilt my chain rack last night. went from a terrible pile of chains to 3 rows organized by pitch. 3/8, .404, and 1/2 (plus all the ugly ones that need work)

20201029_190419.jpg

I've got a lot of bars and chains and typically it takes me 10-15 minutes to figure out what chain goes with what bar when I am putting a saw together.

The go-to b&c combos are stored together in the other shed.

edit: none of the 3 saws in this photo run.....

I rebuilt my chain rack last night. went from a terrible pile of chains to 3 rows organized by pitch. 3/8, .404, and 1/2 (plus all the ugly ones that need work)

View attachment 864887

I've got a lot of bars and chains and typically it takes me 10-15 minutes to figure out what chain goes with what bar when I am putting a saw together.

Mine looked a little like that before our move...now it's one big pile!

16039227460965199805305595414333.jpgdecided to dig into why my 394 wouldnt run. Found the issue.... needless to say, I have no one to blame but myself. This was one of my first build from a pile of parts. The stick top end was torched, and it came with a 395xp top end and (I thought) everything to convert it. Missed a part. When I took the carb off, I realized the keeper ring was never there. The rubber worked it's way away from the outer ring causing an air leak. Lucky I caught it right away and set it aside. I'm gonna pop the muffler and have a look. The intake side looks alright from what I can see down in the boot.

View attachment 864963decided to dig into why my 394 wouldnt run. Found the issue.... needless to say, I have no one to blame but myself. This was one of my first build from a pile of parts. The stick top end was torched, and it came with a 395xp top end and (I thought) everything to convert it. Missed a part. When I took the carb off, I realized the keeper ring was never there. The rubber worked it's way away from the outer ring causing an air leak. Lucky I caught it right away and set it aside. I'm gonna pop the muffler and have a look. The intake side looks alright from what I can see down in the boot.
Yeah, the intake side is usually not as bad.

I did a budget port for a older local on this 371. He’s part of a group that delivers firewood to people who can’t afford it through his church. I thought about donating my time entirely but yeah I couldn’t bring myself to do that. Spent $35 on parts and dug into my parts bin for a few more. Like many old saws it needed most of the little stuff. Fuel line/filter, air filter, operator presence spring and pin, Upper av mount, fan shroud, and a ground wire. From there I did a 268 pop up and only ported the exhaust port. Added a small pipe to make it a dual port as well. Should be a strong saw and for only $150.
078F8A34-17E1-4F1C-962E-54A8CA779DB4.jpegB7420078-660A-42BC-B70E-9993772B6550.jpeg

I did a budget port for a older local on this 371. He’s part of a group that delivers firewood to people who can’t afford it through his church. I thought about donating my time entirely but yeah I couldn’t bring myself to do that. Spent $35 on parts and dug into my parts bin for a few more. Like many old saws it needed most of the little stuff. Fuel line/filter, air filter, operator presence spring and pin, Upper av mount, fan shroud, and a ground wire. From there I did a 268 pop up and only ported the exhaust port. Added a small pipe to make it a dual port as well. Should be a strong saw and for only $150.
View attachment 865036View attachment 865037
How noisy is that thing?

View attachment 864887

Doesn't look too bad! Hell of a lot better than what all my chain looks like. My bars are all sorted on the wall but most of the chain I have was strung up on random 2x4's and my bench vise(and the stuff on my vise fell off so now its in a big wad on the floor). My shop is beyond a disaster right now. What is that tool on the right of your chain, homemade contraption for sharpening chain or fixing bars?

How noisy is that thing?

Doesn't look too bad! Hell of a lot better than what all my chain looks like. My bars are all sorted on the wall but most of the chain I have was strung up on random 2x4's and my bench vise(and the stuff on my vise fell off so now its in a big wad on the floor). My shop is beyond a disaster right now. What is that tool on the right of your chain, homemade contraption for sharpening chain or fixing bars?
Loud. But it’s no biggie.

How noisy is that thing?

Its a David Bradley electric chainsaw. looks like this:

DB electric.jpg

This thread has a bit too much orange....trying to make 3 of 4 of these run next few weeks. From the left a 1-10, 2-10, 2-10, and a 6-10.View attachment 865763
As soon as I finish up everybody else’s saws, my RH start 10-10 is heading back to my bench. I kitted the carb and replaced the spark plug but all I could get it to do was pop and send out a cloud of white smoke every third pull, so I shelved it.

Back