What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to say that I'm tentatively done with the 372 cylinder. It took ungodly amounts of machining to get where I wanted for numbers. Now I'm just hoping that the exhaust and intake actually bolt up with how much lower the cylinder is sitting.
View attachment 1030387View attachment 1030388View attachment 1030389

Red line showing how much I cut out of the lowers:
View attachment 1030386
If you look at that last picture, why I don't take for granted that removing that edge is beneficial?
I see it all the time at "youtube", but your cylinder transfer port windows wont open that early... so its a waste buddy.
Why remove the cylinder wall if the piston skirts still blocks the flow?

If you look at that last picture, why I don't take for granted that removing that edge is beneficial?
I see it all the time at "youtube", but your cylinder transfer port windows wont open that early... so its a waste buddy.
I try to think of it like now it’s almost like an expansion can “not pipe” if you make a huge outlet sure it sounds good and will make power but I’m very happy with the way that muffler came out even though the bottom side is botched lol and to have that baffle completely removed makes me feel good the outlet is maybe 3/4 or a little more of what the exhaust port is plenty of flow and sounds great and with the spark screen it looks stock if you remove the deflector you melt your chain brake handle so that was out of the equation I almost put a deflector on it that I made which would have looked pretty slick but didn’t I wasn’t trying anything crazy with porting on this saw just cleaned some casting crap and polished transfers intake and try to boost compression

I try to think of it like now it’s almost like an expansion can “not pipe” if you make a huge outlet sure it sounds good and will make power but I’m very happy with the way that muffler came out even though the bottom side is botched lol and to have that baffle completely removed makes me feel good the outlet is maybe 3/4 or a little more of what the exhaust port is plenty of flow and sounds great and with the spark screen it looks stock if you remove the deflector you melt your chain brake handle so that was out of the equation I almost put a deflector on it that I made which would have looked pretty slick but didn’t I wasn’t trying anything crazy with porting on this saw just cleaned some casting crap and polished transfers intake and try to boost compression
I like it, we want to hear more from you buddy. Cheers mate!
(been watching WC football from the oil pollution slave worker nation down south so I had a beer, Great times!)

Huh? It's about making a smooth transition with minimal obstruction into the transfer tunnels. If you look that the lowers and compare that to the pockets for the lower transfers in the case, it'll make sense to you. Has nothing to do with the upper transfer timing...all about velocity.

I've done this on other quad port saws and had gains that couldn't be attributed solely to port timing or compression increases...so I'd say that it works.

Huh? It's about making a smooth transition with minimal obstruction into the transfer tunnels. If you look that the lowers and compare that to the pockets for the lower transfers in the case, it'll make sense to you. Has nothing to do with the upper transfer timing...all about velocity.

I've done this on other quad port saws and had gains that couldn't be attributed solely to port timing or compression increases...so I'd say that it works.
When your piston top is at the start of your transfer opening on its way down, the skirts of your piston is blocking your modified cylinder low end transfer opening.
You might not be doing anything wrong - but you aint doing anything right eiter...

Your cylinder has a 36mm stroke, put a 36mm spacer down in the cylinder and then the piston...
Whats the spacer needed to get the piston top at the transfer opening? Try it !
What do you see as the piston is at the cylinder transfer opening - the piston skirts will block your modified passage.

I give up, nothing I say will make you understand buddy.
I totally understand what your saying. Maybe the skirt and the transfer feed perfectly line up on a stock 372 cylinder...not so much on this cylinder. Add to that, the feed was rough and uneven...it needed to be cut just so parts of the transfer weren't a knife edge. I finally decked the cylinder quite a bit, enough that cutting the feeds would've been warranted anyway. I'm sure the piston is still the restriction at BDC, but I didn't want the restriction to be the feed or to have a lumpy lower w/chrome flaking off because it's so thin/sharp.

Husqvarna 55. Widened and raised the exhaust port a bit, dropped the intake a bit, base gasket delete and a muffler mod. New caber ring as well, all work done on a good OEM cylinder.

Muffler outlet changed from bottom "gilll" style which was sealed and smoothed, and moved up to a better position. Exhaust deflector from a poulan wild thing was used and worked out very nice. Baffle holes were drilled in the side of the muffler and represent about 70% of the exhaust port in area. Deflector brazed on from the inside, nice clean looking installation.

Only a couple of test cuts so far, but has a nice wide power band and also looks to have picked up some revs over stock. Looking forward to breaking it in this spring.

IMG_20221127_093814.jpgIMG_20221127_093710.jpgIMG_20221127_093754.jpgIMG_20221127_093507.jpgIMG_20221127_093605.jpg

Did some painting over Thanksgiving. This Dolmar 144 came with a clutch cover someone used a sanding disk on to remove corrosion. They left the deep sanding marks and painted it the wrong color (red). Looks like they covered the remains of the decal to prevent completely painting over it. The hood had a chunk broken out of it. I was able to find one so I stripped them both, filled the damage done to the clutch cover, removed corrosion from the new hood and filled it and then shot em. Came out great.
4FB386DC-EF9D-4C77-9CD7-2740919D0B45.jpeg
image.jpg
New Dolmar 144A decal inbound!

Got a little Stihl 015 from one of the tree service guys (personal saw). It needs some pull cord work and a good cleaning.
anyway…what a cool little saw! Extremely simple. This is an early version with no chain brake.
ordered an air filter, carb kit so far.
Homelite Super2 will be next. People still use these? lol

Not been on this one for a few. Put a 291 across the bench today. Victim of a John Deere Gator . Crushed fuel tank and broken brake handle. A little tedious but I have $60 in a 291. Not bad. It won't be hanging around. Just a project to support my magnesium addiction.
View attachment VID_20221208_220918248.mp4

I finally got the case but back together for my Jonsered 625 build. New bearings, but they seem a bit tight once in the case. I centered the crank with feeler gauges and a dead blow hammer.

New seals installed too when I put the oil pump in, I changed the oil line. The 266xp oil line I ordered was a 372xp oil line when it showed up, but it looks the same other then just being a bit longer.

C7D7655F-575E-44D2-BE6C-4B8068313E91.jpeg

F11004CA-65BF-4907-8352-09BE87B09AC0.jpeg

2F1AB325-5081-4BE8-8B95-39DA7807296C.jpeg

Attachments

• A5E2ABD5-011A-4D21-BBAF-7E1CEADF2E02.jpeg
    A5E2ABD5-011A-4D21-BBAF-7E1CEADF2E02.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Did some painting over Thanksgiving. This Dolmar 144 came with a clutch cover someone used a sanding disk on to remove corrosion. They left the deep sanding marks and painted it the wrong color (red). Looks like they covered the remains of the decal to prevent completely painting over it. The hood had a chunk broken out of it. I was able to find one so I stripped them both, filled the damage done to the clutch cover, removed corrosion from the new hood and filled it and then shot em. Came out great.
View attachment 1035597
View attachment 1035598
New Dolmar 144A decal inbound!
I liked that post, and the pictures, thank you sir.

Not doing much since cooler weather set in but I do have a box of Homelite Super 2 parts which I hope to turn into a chainsaw when weather warms up...
same thing going on with my workbench. just finished my latest project. not a saw, but could be used working on one. maybe. i need to get something going to mess up my workbench again... :rolleyes:

this one turned out bit better than anticipated. 👍

sometimes ya just get lucky!

:drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back