What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some new prototype gasket kits for for the full 50/51/55 top end although a little revising of the shape on the carb gasket is needed, also a full kit for the intake block on the 254xp/257, and of course the kit I already had for the older style intake of the 262/266xp, working on the 272 amd smaller similar shaped 61 intake block gaskets!

68DCB2B2-D546-4FC2-AEDB-C8A6A1B843C1.jpeg45452DD8-2198-4FDC-A638-CF3AEB91C746.jpegED6C8CD0-E093-4417-A419-DB6ADCB82B6C.jpeg8CF64E36-F4D6-483D-B78E-648991DFC13B.jpeg
2671A0F9-9EB6-4EC5-9E43-AB3334B1EF83.jpeg

I'm no maven but have a neighborhood rep you know?
Bud handed me his 025 "back up saw" chain dull, it had been cutting sawdust, then put away wet. Won't start he sez.
"some compression" cleaned filter, it fired off a bit of gas poured in carb. Checked fuel line, filter, dump gas refill. Cleaned plug. Will now run "well" on the main throttle response etc good, but won't run at low speed, won't idle. Let it slow down, it kills, Choke to get'r running again, repeat. Loosened carb, pulled the idle mix screw, sprayed in carb cleaner.
piston walls look OK from exhaust port. rings are free. Only getting 80PSI (throttle open) Not excited about removing the carb completely, spending 4 hours etc. any other "quick fixes" or other likely "problem is" guys? My inclination is to hand it back and say "above my pay grade".

I'm no maven but have a neighborhood rep you know?
Bud handed me his 025 "back up saw" chain dull, it had been cutting sawdust, then put away wet. Won't start he sez.
"some compression" cleaned filter, it fired off a bit of gas poured in carb. Checked fuel line, filter, dump gas refill. Cleaned plug. Will now run "well" on the main throttle response etc good, but won't run at low speed, won't idle. Let it slow down, it kills, Choke to get'r running again, repeat. Loosened carb, pulled the idle mix screw, sprayed in carb cleaner.
piston walls look OK from exhaust port. rings are free. Only getting 80PSI (throttle open) Not excited about removing the carb completely, spending 4 hours etc. any other "quick fixes" or other likely "problem is" guys? My inclination is to hand it back and say "above my pay grade".
Increase the compression to 100psi and it will work better 🤠

If it slows down and stops, check the engine for leaks / The question is whether you can cope with it all. This looks like a full rebuild
Only with the throttle at partial settings it"ll keep going at high throttle. Still need to go out and see if it runs well under load....

Thanks for the help, hints, advice!
s
Since it wouldn't start, run at all, and after some jiggering it now is working on the main, wondering if I can get in and find a plugged circuit that feeds the idle needle? Don't know much about these (two stroke) carbs.
The real question is; why would I want to take this project on??? :pingpong:

I used my first chainsaw for about 10 years, although it was leaky and stalled at idle after about 5 seconds, but it certainly had higher Compressor / Partner 465

Not on the bench yet but I have a third 49 in a box that is a great project. I DO NOT need another 49 at my age but winters are long in upstate NY. Could be the next project if I can find a few parts at a ok price.

Just went rounds with a pop rivet stem stuck in my rear tire and leaking..... grrrrrrrr.

Air compressor and tire machine don't like 37* weather.

View attachment 1133035
I'll console you that it's 7F here / Such a little Alaska 😉 in Europe, We haven't had a winter like this for over 10 years

Back