What's on your workbench?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys are working on over the winter.

Here are my projects.

1992 Polaris Indy Trail Touring. Price was right. PTO cylinder dead most likely due to faulty crank seal or bottom end gasket leak. Will be a good sled for kids to learn on. Need to tear down the motor and replace seal/gasket and add new piston. If it needs an overbore I'll probably look for a salvage motor.

Mac 2-10. Finally located a new muffler. Replaced duckbill valve in the carb with the larger Homelite DB valve per the Mac thread over in the Saw forum. Just need to put it all back together.

Johnny 36. Just located bar and sprocket to convert from pricy 1/4" pitch chain to cheaper and readily available 3/8" LP like the newer saws of this model used.

Husky 65. The old standby is getting a little tired. Still runs circles around homeowner saws up to 55cc but doesn't pull like she once did. In the process of locating the parts to do a conversion to a L77 top end which will be a pretty powerful package. Probably tackle this in early spring after I get a couple cords C/S/S for next year. Tempted to send the whole works off to Mastermind for a complete refurb but for that amount of cash I could pick up a good used 372.

My bench is covered with a nice mix of chain filings, oil, grinding wheel dust, and other nasty stuff.

I have a bobcat snowblower that I got for my cat. I'm currently converting it from a 7 pin to a 14 pin connector. Also putting a 14 pin connector on the cat.

My firewood conveyor needs a set of idler gears and a clutch. Right now it's running right off the motor. It was a temporary fix that's lasted for a couple years.

I have a jetski that was cavitating last year, so it needs to be looked at.

I also have 2 barns that need new roofs before the spring.

I'm sure I'll also have 50 other projects pop up between here and spring.

1project2many typically does not like to post "ongoing projects" lists as he does not know where to stop them. 1project2many knows he has a problem and is working on a self help program... it's kind of a project.

There are a few priority jobs though. The '36 Plymouth engine needs reassembly because I've promised the family we'll go driving in it this summer. The wheels need to come off the '57 to put on the new (used) tires. I need to clean up the workshop area. I need to get the new oil pump gear on the 331. And right now I'm perusing CL for cement mixers and learning all I can about pouring cement for foundations, floors, etc in the hopes of working my way up from a few smaller projects to building a foundation for an addition on the house.

Nothing much today..almost done with my rebuilding the hot water system, only lack the bathroom sink now. Manifold system with home runs and shutoffs is great! I like that sort of design way better than branch and line. That requires kneeling, though, to finish, so gonna pass for a few days. Try to put the rebuilt alternator back in the chebby. Think about driving the tractor to take more hay to the cows, climbing on and off and clutching with my bum knee now..not sure. Have to figger that out.

I have a bunch of stuff I want to work on too. But my work bench is covered in all sorts of stuff I've thrown on there, and I'll have to spend a couple hours going through it before I can get to these projects. And lets face it, that ain't happening anytime sooon.

What's on your workbench?

Well, see for yourself,

standard.jpg

I am going to put my chain sharpener in that vice and sharpen a bunch of chains "soon" though, also I have a saw that needs servicing...

SR

Well, see for yourself,

standard.jpg

I am going to put my chain sharpener in that vice and sharpen a bunch of chains "soon" though, also I have a saw that needs servicing...

SR

That bench makes me jittery and nervous just looking at it. Way too nice, clean and organized. It would look so out of place in my shop I don't think I could handle it...:bowdown: . Now get to work and dirty it up!!:D

Have a JD L108 that need an engine, along with an owner that needs to pony up some cash first. A stihl polesaw with a stripped extension pole and 2 stihl backpack blowers that have to come apart because they are carboned up that bad. All of it no rush need it yesterday.

That bench makes me jittery and nervous just looking at it. Way too nice, clean and organized. It would look so out of place in my shop I don't think I could handle it...:bowdown: . Now get to work and dirty it up!!:D

Thing is, I happen to have cleaned it up "yesterday", so this post came exactly at the right time! lol

It's solid ash, my neighbor had some tree's he wanted removed, so I went over and took them out,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

and brought all of them home, mostly as firewood. You can see the ash log on top of the load,

standard.jpg

I milled it,

standard.jpg

And built the bench,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

To get this,

standard.jpg

I drilled some holes and pounded in some 30 cal. 200 grain Match Kings, so hold my wrenches,

standard.jpg

I'm happy with it... :)

SR

Thing is, I happen to have cleaned it up "yesterday", so this post came exactly at the right time! lol

It's solid ash, my neighbor had some tree's he wanted removed, so I went over and took them out,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

and brought all of them home, mostly as firewood. You can see the ash log on top of the load,

standard.jpg

I milled it,

standard.jpg

And built the bench,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

To get this,

standard.jpg

I drilled some holes and pounded in some 30 cal. 200 grain Match Kings, so hold my wrenches,

standard.jpg

I'm happy with it... :)

SR

that's' an excellent story and a nice piece of workmanship. Will last your lifetime and that of your decedents. I wish I had the time and tools to turn something like that tree, that grew up with you probably, into something you can use forever. top notch.. :numberone:

1project2many typically does not like to post "ongoing projects" lists as he does not know where to stop them. 1project2many knows he has a problem and is working on a self help program... it's kind of a project.

I like this guy.

I am in process of cleaning a few years of junk off my bench. New projects are some sheetrocking in basement, finish splitting firewood for next year and trying my luck with milling some wood.

On my bench?? Hmmmm... let's see.
  • Some greazy wrenches I ain't put away yet.
  • A broken light bulb.
  • Half-dozen greazy rags (a couple with blood on them).
  • An empty oil container or two.
  • Assorted nuts, bolts, washers, screws, and nails (most of them rusty or bent).
  • Two or three empty beer cans.
  • An old computer hard-drive (??)
  • The remains of some sort of sandwich (I think).
  • An over-flowing ash tray.
  • Multiple colors of spilled paint (no pink).
  • A 1½-gallon bucket with partially dissembled carburetors in it (I think one is from a moped).
  • A few carpenter pencils in need of sharpening.
  • An unknown number of dull, rusty blades from all sorts of tools.
  • Also, an unknown number of welding electrode stubs.
  • Gloves... four or five left hand, maybe one right hand with holes in it.
  • A couple of child's toys, broken, waiting for repair (or for him to forget about them).
  • Two portable propane torches on empty cylinders.
  • A roll of solder... maybe two.
  • A drop cord in need of a repair end.
  • Several small coils of wire.
  • Tape... duct, black, masking, and double-sided.
  • Assorted aerosol cans (unknown how many are empty).
  • A knife or two.
I'd need to go out and look on the other two benches to see whats on them.
I thinkin' I'll build a fourth this spring... I'm out'a room again‼

Latest posts

Back