What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ported: The 562 that Terry did is the most popular saw at any GTG I take it to. Guys just don't want to set it down. I never even get it back until it runs out of gas. It's a saw I grab myself when I need to actually get some work done quick vs. "playing with my toys".

First off, that saw is what pushed me to get my 440 ported, it killed the 440 when I ran it at Terry's.

Now to answer the question from the monkey. My favorite saw and most used saw are not the same. I have always picked up my little 51 Husky first. Climbing up the hills, over high side logging roads means lighter is better....period. Yes it's an open port saw, I know it's not a 'PRO' saw, but it works quite well. My FAVORITE saw is the 440, flippy caps and all. Starts easy, runs great, does most of the heavy work when I pull the bigger stuff left by the logging crews.

I understand that less noise is always wanted, but everything is a compromise and at this point in my life time is more important and getting things done quickly/efficiently comes over noise standards.

BTW-Those two saws are waiting for me to pick them up at the post office so I think they have gotten even better. :msp_rolleyes: Thanks Randy.

Shea

Cad,,I just can't catch it!!

My go to saw?? My favorite? I've only 2 saws,,no cad!

My 2171 w/20" bar, or 24" bar. This saw is great for a fire wood hack and pulls my 28" bar when I need it. It can seem heavy at times by the end of the day. Most days it can knock out a truck load of fire wood with one tank of fuel. Good strong saw.

Cs 4oo for brushing/limbing. SERIOUSLY needs "tuned" !!! I think the lil' 30cc echo I mm'd(gave to my twin bro') will will out cut it..I had put a 12"b/c on it but kept braking chains..now it sports a 14" b/c,,?

I wouldn't mind a 50-60cc saw,(Jonsered) sometimes..I have looked recently,, didn't feel any real weight savings,,and just can't see dragging a truck load of saws to the woods so I'll stick with the two saw plan.

Best "all around" saw for "work" ???????????????????????
WORK - YUK! What work? Whose work???
Running saws to me is fun but I don't do it very much, either. My body is so beat up an hour or two of sawing makes so much pain I have to quit and spend the rest of the day recuperating for the next day.

all of em

Wow thats a tough one but it would be close between my 562 and 372 but I would have to go with the 562 in wood under 20 and anything up to 28 my 372...... both are easy to start and run without skipping a beat!!!! Hey randy I know what you mean about the 385 my buddy has one with a normal ported muffler and it is ear piercing but mine has dual mini pipes done by scott wojo and it is still loud but has more of a deeper growl and isnt as hard on the ears not even close....

What's your work saw to cookie cutter ratio? Do a lot of fallers run your saws?

I don't do any type of saw for racing. I rarely do any non stock carb swaps either. Nearly any saw I build is a saw that can earn it's keep.....but there are a few guys that insist on compression being higher than I would want to see in a everyday money maker.

There are several tree services running our saws.....cookie cutters ain't really my thing.

There is never going to be any such thing!

Bite your tongue. The bottom end is together with new bearings, seals, and gaskets.......and the machine work on the jugs was finished up last night.

200t when working in a tree, 036 for basic ground work then my 660 for anything over 18" . When doing this for a living there is no reason for not having the right size saw for the job. My truck always has 2 200t my 346 036 576 and 660,big trees i bring my 084. Time is money!

Latest posts

Back