What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhheeemmm.....

7E92BEDF-FD8D-4DAF-A9AB-55C7780A4FC0-2655-000001576B0AAD17_zpsa738a714.jpg

My go to saw is my 576at. It's stock, but it starts easy, runs great, doesn't always need refueling, cuts like a demon on the dry Aussie hardwood I get into that's usually a good size.... And AT keeps it from stalling or being fickle after a fair bit of work.

The chimp hacked 261 is fun, louder and great to noodle with but isn't my go to saw.

The 340 is just ignored, too slow in the cut and usually I have minimal limbing to do.

A Harbour freight import? :msp_w00t: :tongue2: does it go for long?

There are things you can do to that 340 to make it worth having. Probably my favorite series of saw to work on is the 340-350 series.

Don't want to start a new thread and this one is seeing plenty of activity:msp_biggrin: so the situation is this....

I am getting ready to build a retaining wall out of railroad ties in the next few weeks (before it starts to get warm). Im worried about running my saws thru a RR tie bc of the creasote (or whatever they are using in them). So I was thinking of either renting or buying something super cheap.What would yall do? I dont have a beater saw that I dont care about.

Alright, I'll bite....obviously, from yer sig, you simply need to go "borrow" one of those saws that used to be made in Germany. Kinda like a VW that way, now that I think about it. But be careful, you might accidentally decide that you really NEED an overpriced, overweight, underpowered and universally popular saw.:deadhorse:

Well 346xp is best as have been stated already :) .

Ceratinly 372xp is a good second option for a bigger saw
but no one want to drag that peace of metal around sort
of a whole day if they were offered a 346xp instead ... .

Best

Well 346xp is best as have been stated already :) .

Ceratinly 372xp is a good second option for a bigger saw
but no one want to drag that peace of metal around sort
of a whole day if they were offered a 346xp instead ... .

Best

I know it is doable with a 50 cc saw, but really, when you are working and bucking up 2 to 3 foot diameter trees, you just are better off with more saw for the felling and bucking of the larger trunk.

When I go out I typically carry 3 to 5 saws anyway. Fell a big tree, with the largest saw, then switch to the smallest for cutting the smaller limbs, work your way back up in size as you head back to the butt end of the trunk. I milk trees out, take all the big and medium wood, (that is the point most guys stop at) then I take all the small wood. I leave minimal mess in the fields. Anything I leave you can drive over and mow it. I cut down to one inch. 2.54 CMs. No brush piles to move or burn, all firewood and it adds up. Also get more trigger time with the saws that way.

Thats why it is hard for me to say one saw can do it all, just silly, saws just arent that expensive, used, they are cheap. Price of one new saw, say your 346xp, I can own several good runners of various sizes.

I'll gladly use a 372 over a 346. Now a nice ported 261 will get me to put down the 70 cc saws.

Interesting...I get all of that out of my old 046.

Sorry cant agree with that.
AV crap
Filter system crap
Fumes and fuel use crap
Re tune it for winter,summer,temp,different fuel,yep crap

There is a good reason why i have three of them they are the most user freindley,efficient tool to make money with.:msp_rolleyes:

Back