What's the difference between a Stihl 036 and a 036Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a larger bearing in the sprocket as well. Don't qoute me on that one though...

The larger bearing comes with the ms360 and maybe a few late
makings of the 036 Pro.... You have to buy as a kit....
Larger bearing and sprocket to match bearing.
Kit part#....1125 007 1041....about $35...and well worth it....imho
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Also to add I'm pretty sure the are ported differenly. At least that's what I've been told. I don't own a 260/360 pro so never researched either one. My smallest is the 361. Although I Would like to pick up a 260 pro so I'm also interested in answers myself.

decomp valve

The Pro is the newer version and has a decompression button.

So a metal tagged 036 that has a DSP is actually a 036Pro? I have owned since new a 036Pro. I really like it and I have come across a metal tagged 036 with a DSP. I would like to have another that is why I was asking. Thanks, Ron

My mistake. I just looked at the picture of it again and see that what I thought was the DSP was actually the cover hold down. Ron

Last edited:
036 has no decomp, is a few tenths of a pound lighter (mine is 12.1 pounds), makes 4.6 hp vs 036 pro at 4.4 hp, has the older style floc filter. Both have adjustable oilers. 036 isa good runner. I still have mine, bought new in '91 and it runs like a top. If you can find a good condition 036, it is lighter and slimmer than the 361 and 362 by a little bit and will run right with both saws. On paper at least, it has negligibly more hp than the 361 (by 2 tenths), if the spec sheets I have are accurate.

After 20 years, the Stihl saws have not made any performance or weight gains but have a cleaner burn and the 362 has better filtration and is a bit smoother due to the new spring system.

mine is old and used, stihl runs great. have a real soft spot for them. took my decomp of along time ago, don't need it.

Outside of the obvious silver "PRO" sticker and decomp valve, they are essentially the same saw. Cylinders, pistons etc,,,all interchangeable. Great saws.

I don't use the decomp valve on mine, but my dealer advises to use it as some of the starter assembly is plastic and it takes some of the presure of it. Learning something new everytime I see him.

I have a 036 pro that im working on slowly right now. Its a nice saw but I like the way the carb linkage, choke lever, and air filter mount much better on the 361. I do like the 2 piece muffler on the 036 pro but dont like the plastic starter casing either. Oh dont care for hose that can get damaged on the oil pump either rather have a passage through the case.

Last edited:
With the plastic cover around the clutch, I think you'd have bigger problems to worry about if the oil hose got damaged, like maybe a rod out the side of the block or something.

With the plastic cover around the clutch, I think you'd have bigger problems to worry about if the oil hose got damaged, like maybe a rod out the side of the block or something.

Seems to be a common issue on the 036 when the stock clutch drum bearing fails. I just like the way its done on the 361 better thats all.

Back when I was thinning forests a hectare a day, that's about 500 trees or so, the trees are pines and about 12 - 20" diameter and about 40 foot or so tall, the 18" 036 the best saw by far, heaps of grunt and slimline with it and better power spread than a peaky 361. With a 60cc setup you carry less weight fuel included, 70cc saws a lot heavier and clumsier and use heaps more gas and oil, 50cc just a bit too strained on 16"+ stuff, 500 trees a day sorts out a saw, right-side bearing can get loose eventually and oilpump gets mashed if dumb enough to run a loose clutch, that's about it, otherwise an 036 runs for dam near ever

Back