What's the difference between the Simington 450 and the 451C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the 451C must be an improved model, but I don't know enough about "real" chain grinders to really know the difference(s).

Thank you for your time...

Adjustable height/knuckle in the middle of the arm and single sliding chain pawl
Thank you for the post, Kevin. Were the changes made to the 451C actual game changers. Did they make the 451C a superior grinder?

I watched a YT video walk through recently involving a Simington 450 and a Silvey SDM4. Near the beginning of the video, the video maker stated that his 450 was "...not a precision grinder..." and immediately followed his words up with showing the upward/downward play in the swing arm. After that, he quickly moved over to the SDM4 and showed how much more "precise" and "sophisticated" it is compared to his 450. It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the Simington grinders. Anyway, it got me to thinking about whether or not the 451C, which is still being sold, is a huge improvement over the 450 I watched in the video.

450 gets you able to sharpen a square chain. 451 makes it so you can sharpen at the same angle throughout the life of the tooth. And can sharpen at different angles easily, vs needing to shim the wheel up/down to make the same changes

Latest posts

Back