What's The Oldest Tree You Have Felled?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't. I don't know anything about you for that matter. That wasn't my question.

Unless your original question was rhetorical and not needing an answer, the use of the word "wrong" implies that you know of a 'right' way'. Like I said, speak 'the word', I'm all ears.

The 'peanut gallery' here is obviously defensive of its own....even blindly so...no 'intruders' allowed, much like the OR fallin' scene of lore.:cheers:

Kevin

No doubt honcho and nobody could know as much or possibly more, right? I have no doubt that he knows of what he speaks, but I don't think he wrote the Bible on tree fallin'. Or the obvious understatement that there are differences in fallin' approaches.

Like I said, I've been bested....I'll just sit back now and listen to 'the word'.

Kevin

#### "Kevin". . .

Three whole yrs....wow.......I only have that beat by about six. And if I hadn't moved to CO, probably a whole lot more. I was headed to Canada for a sweet set of timber sales and got side-tracked by OG timber run by cowboy gypos. That's why they called us 'timber tramps'.

Again...fall 'em whatever way you want, but I will continue to comment on falling pics and procedures the way I see it. You learn little if you assume you know the 'all' of it, that much I agree. And yessir boss, I know when I'm obviously bested.

Kevin

Yep, just three years total with the 72" another 10 or so with 36" to 48". I know the timber tramp business, I ricocheted all over north CA, cutting whatever there was.
Sure, I was a bit onery about pointing out that you criticsized someone with that nonsense statement, you don't know Mr Bowsaw, you weren't there when he was felling that tree. Certainly there are many ways to get a tree on the ground and there are many ways to express oneself without lookin' like an untested boy. Your hostile/defensive responses give too much room for doubt.

Yes, "The Book" is still being written, I was trained by men who added pages to that tome, I don't think I had much to add to it and still there is so much more to learn. I will try to pass on usefull information, for those who want to know. My "word" will pass muster, your 'tude makes you hard to believe and makes you a target for redicule. If you are what you say you are, welcome to the party, if not, change your username and argue grams and millimeters with the little plastic saw guys.
There are so few old growth fallers left from the "old" days, I am really hoping that you are one of them, perhaps you would care to scroll up to the F&L forum and share a story or two.

Actually, I think you are the one who is 'ignorant' to belittle what I know about falling large timber. You have no real falling equipment on and no hard hat, that to me tells the real story. Or maybe you'd like me to believe you took it all off for the picture...I think not.:dizzy:

Kevin

Feels great to be Isulted don't it?? I did not like it when you did it to me.
Back then allmost no one in the Tree service business wore PPE.
Some guys wore hard hats.
This was not what this thread was about remember. :dizzy:
"Oldest tree you felled"

Exactly, a 'third' is a guide, not a rule. If you're a good faller, you learn what tree species require more like Alder....if your saw is not running fast enough on your back cut with Alder, it will barber chair a lot of the time-a fatal mistake. And even with good information and experience, rotten timber and dead fall snags require all your skills to survive.

You not going to 'slab' the tree with the rot pictured (in the aforementioned pic, not this pic) and a healthy 'third' face cut. You're much more likely to preserve some hinge-wood and having a working stump shot. No stump shot is possible in that much rot, that far in...they had a rope tied to the tree and hooked to a pickup apparently-very classy.

Kevin

No it was not a pickup, It was a large dump truck.
If you would of just asked me questions about the tree I would
of gave you the run down on it.
I had a Tree service for 25 years. I had two chipper trucks and chippers
A stump grinder. Two man lift trucks 40ft and 65ft. Im not duing it
anymore I shut it down in 2001.
Right now I still have my Large Firewood Business.

This not my job but look at that notch and all the PPE there wearing...

attachment.php

Three whole yrs....wow.......I only have that beat by about six. And if I hadn't moved to CO, probably a whole lot more. I was headed to Canada for a sweet set of timber sales and got side-tracked by OG timber run by cowboy gypos. That's why they called us 'timber tramps'.

Again...fall 'em whatever way you want, but I will continue to comment on falling pics and procedures the way I see it. You learn little if you assume you know the 'all' of it, that much I agree. And yessir boss, I know when I'm obviously bested.

Kevin

You might want to grow a little hide if you're going to hang out here. This place is kind of like the tavern you'd stop in on the way home, the one with the NO CAULKS sign outside. Lots of real world experience, lots of different opinions on how things should be done. Lots of wannabes and greenhorns, too.
If you're a faller, or spent any real time being one, get yourself up to the Forestry and Logging section and join in. If you know your stuff, and it sounds like you might, you'd probably enjoy it.
But...when you put the slam on somebody's work be prepared for everything that goes along with doing that. If you're right, you're right. If you're not somebody will usually let you know. Quick.

Must add some Forest Education here. :cheers:

Old does not mean big. You can cut down an 8 inch gnarly Doug that is growing in a rock pile on a south slope over in Eastern WA and you'd need a magnifying glass to count the rings. Meanwhile, a similarly aged tree on the wet side of the state might be a couple feet in diameter. Site means everything.

Lay people equate size with age, which creates problems when defining what old growth is. Throw in the emotions, and we have what we have today--gridlock in the woods. :cry: :givebeer:

I messed with some HSU eggheads, they were asking for samples. I cut a cookie off a big Redwood limb, told them it was off a tree, the rings were microscopic.

Must add some Forest Education here. :cheers:

Old does not mean big. You can cut down an 8 inch gnarly Doug that is growing in a rock pile on a south slope over in Eastern WA and you'd need a magnifying glass to count the rings. Meanwhile, a similarly aged tree on the wet side of the state might be a couple feet in diameter. Site means everything.

Lay people equate size with age, which creates problems when defining what old growth is. Throw in the emotions, and we have what we have today--gridlock in the woods. :cry: :givebeer:

You're exactly right slowp. I've attached a short video of a Huon Pine in Tasmania, Australia. This is one of our rarest, most prized, and expensive timbers and very very protected/restricted now. It is believed to be one of the oldest tree species on the planet. The tree in the video is 450 years old yet maybe only 22" in diameter. On the drier West Coast of Tasmania the same aged tree would even be smaller.
Quite a disappointment with all the moss etc hanging off it and a very ugly and gnarly looking tree. The furniture etc made from it's wood is unbelievable however.
My mate's commentary about bringing a chainsaw along to this protected nature walk and his 4 year old daughter's response about it being illegal is funny :)

DSCF1220.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzCUTuu9S2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzCUTuu9S2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This thread should be reworked into "what's the oldest smallest diameter tree you have ever cut":cheers:

Your comments are said out Ignrance. First off Im not you.
Thats right you can't see the whole picture here. See that big
round glob on the left side,thats part of the tree and it go farther
back on the other side you can't see,
There was a large leader limb back there we cut off.
Theres allso a 3/4 inch rope tide in the top and hooked to a truck.

Oh and your glad no one got killed, You must think every one
is lost like you are when it comes to felling a tree.

thank you, MR BOW--well said--

Yes the noisy thing I can remember well, the noisiest tree fall I was around happened around 1973, my dad and I had been contacted to take down a large tree that was between a house and a high tension 3500 volt powerline, a parking lot on the left and a street on the right. We were to show up by 6:30 AM and take it down before things like traffic got busy. We just pull in at 6;05 on site to see the tree topple 90* to the intended fall direction, it takes out the powerline, pulls down a pole, blows a transformer, lands on the bosses near new 3/4 ton 4X4, top of the tree breaks off and does a 180* and bounces through the glass patio doors on the house. Well the noise took more than 30 mins to die down to a low background rumble, after all yelling and the sirens from the firetrucks + police subsided. Dad and I didn`t even bother to start up our saws, we didn`t want to be associated with that mess. Boss man thought he could save a few bucks and drop the tree himself with the help of one his yard apes.
Best part was that after all the dust settled he asked if our insurance would cover this mess if he paid us the original fee we quoted to bring down the tree. LOL

Pioneerguy600

some real bozos out there, for sure--:dizzy:

I cut an old one (one of many) today on a house lot .
I counted 125 years old give or take a couple .
It was about 65' tall and so huge my bar almost didn't poke out the other side ! 14" at the stump , darn east coast trees ;)

:cheers:

I cut an old one (one of many) today on a house lot .
I counted 125 years old give or take a couple .
It was about 65' tall and so huge my bar almost didn't poke out the other side ! 14" at the stump , darn east coast trees ;)

:cheers:

What you runnin the 361 or that modded 026 I done ya?

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back