What's The Real Reason Husqvarna has Shuttering So Many US Plants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiptons has no service department or parts for that matter.
They advertise service, haven't been in one, my bad. I have been in Rural King, the one in Bristol VA. has the most Stihl saws in one place that I have ever seen and they do have a service department.

Small Engine Repair & Tune-Up
Lawnmowers and lawn tractors, Trimmers, Chainsaws, Log Splitters, Snowblowers, Edgers, and Hedgers. Bring them in and we will service them. Oil change, gearing adjustments, lube, or a tune-up to make sure your small engines are working as they should.

Shipton’s Big R Service Center offers small engine repairs and tune-ups.

Contact Shipton's Big R Service Center
301 N. 14th St
Billings, MT
(406) 896-1814

If I'm late to the party discussing this, sorry, I only heard about it this weekend. After a quick search I count closures in five states; AR, GA, TN, NE, and SC. I have heard the reason is to reduce costs and that they are discontinuing gas power for electric. I think chainsaws are surviving? Any of you in the small engine power business/industry know the skinny?
Sure do. This is all stuff and nonsense. YOU only heard about this weekend, is a catch-phrase used be media types, to slither into a thread. Does what YOU heard matter? What is your point? Where is the links you "researched"??

People mistake information, for news, and news, for stuff that really matters.
Along the way, hiding behind a keyboard and being stroked makes this forum look like social media.......maybe you have stock, and your broker isn't picking up?

Have to drive 30 miles to Rural King just to find a stihl dealer that sells service parts or offers repair services. Got a local ace hardware but they carry only a few things but they have a full line up of stihl equipment.

I have never bought anything with a internal combustion motor from Rural King and don't have any plans too. Prefer local dealers with a good service department.

Smart move unless it's say a small gas engine like a log splitter, lawnmower or pressure washer, where the engine warranty can be dealt with at a local authorized mower or small engine shop. Tractors on the other hand are all complex and always require a certified mechanic to work on them. Read a lot of horror stories about RK tractors and the lack of service on them as well as parts issues. While they may be cheaper than a comparable in power model, the bad taste of poor service and parts availability lingers long after the initial sale.

I always have purchased my farm tractors from a dealer that services them or can handle warranty work and stocks consumable parts like oil filters, air filters and other consumable parts and can haul them to the dealership as well. Not going to be driving my tractors on the road to any dealer. One, the road speed maxed out is 23 mph and driving on pavement is hard on the R1 bar tread tires.

They advertise service, haven't been in one, my bad. I have been in Rural King, the one in Bristol VA. has the most Stihl saws in one place that I have ever seen and they do have a service department.

Small Engine Repair & Tune-Up
Lawnmowers and lawn tractors, Trimmers, Chainsaws, Log Splitters, Snowblowers, Edgers, and Hedgers. Bring them in and we will service them. Oil change, gearing adjustments, lube, or a tune-up to make sure your small engines are working as they should.

Shipton’s Big R Service Center offers small engine repairs and tune-ups.

Contact Shipton's Big R Service Center
301 N. 14th St
Billings, MT
(406) 896-1814
That particular store(there are three in town) does have a very small service shop where they mostly assemble stuff. The others stores have none. They know absolutely nothing about chainsaws.

What kind if surprised me was the first time I saw Husky saws and acessories at of all places Tractor Supply. You'd never see Stihl or Echo in a TSC store which is really noted as a discount supplier of stuff and lots of offshore items as well. I do shop there when I need something simple and ag related but I always check the box or pack to see where it was made.

They do carry some of the lubricants I use as well as a good selection of sprayer parts including Tee Jet sprayer nozzles.
Tsc has been going down hill for many years now. More to the point of saws, they have always carried some sort of saws. Mcculloch when I was young, then they changed to jonsred and poulan then to husqy branded saws. Never seen a service department in any of them.
Sticking with the national chain stores, we have quite a few ace hardware stores that sell whatever brand they could get a dealer for. I've seen husqy, stihl, and echo. Some have service counters some don't and the one that do vary greatly in skill set. Most times you're better off fixing your own equipment.
I would be surprised if Stihl starts selling at non-servicing stores considering the amount of market share they currently have, why would they rock the boat. Shipton's and Rural King are chain stores but they provide service for Stihl equipment.
They are starting to change that practice. They signed too many dealers that arnt small engine guys that have put a bad taste in people's mouths. John deere dealers come to mind. Some of the worst service you will ever find. In my area.

Tsc has been going down hill for many years now. More to the point of saws, they have always carried some sort of saws. Mcculloch when I was young, then they changed to jonsred and poulan then to husqy branded saws. Never seen a service department in any of them.
Sticking with the national chain stores, we have quite a few ace hardware stores that sell whatever brand they could get a dealer for. I've seen husqy, stihl, and echo. Some have service counters some don't and the one that do vary greatly in skill set. Most times you're better off fixing your own equipment.

They are starting to change that practice. They signed too many dealers that arnt small engine guys that have put a bad taste in people's mouths. John deere dealers come to mind. Some of the worst service you will ever find. In my area.
Some of the tractor dealers that are also into commerical lawn equipment does ok service work. Our local New Holland dealer who also sells Scag, Exmark and Stihl does pretty well on Stihl service. The large chain store Deere dealer that sells Stihl doesn't do very well on Stihl service, they are the worst here also. Ace stores have pretty much disappeared in this area.

Nearest RK to me is over 100 miles away, so not somewhere I'd go to anyway.

Little back story on TSC.. I bought my Cub rear tine tiller there or should I say almost bought. The guy loading it in the back of my pickup truck with a hi-lo dropped it on the pavement and then picked back up and went to put it in my truck even though it was all smashed up. Looked at him and said, what the hell and he said it's yours to which I said no it's not and went in the store and got my money back. They probably sold it to some sap for a good discount. Around here we all call Tractor Supply, Tough **** Charley's, where everything is either scratched, dented or broken....

Latest posts

Back