What's the worst saw you ever worked on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I thought the XL/XL2/Super 2 saws were easy to work on. Once you get the motor out of the case everything is in front of you.

I'm with ya AOD. I mean you can change the spark plug, adjust the carb, change the air filter/ oil filter, all without removing the motor from the case, and if ya ever need to its only 4 freakin' little screws (OK 10 if ya count removing the handle bar and starter cover). Maybe I'm just used to 'em.

Dan

I'm with ya AOD. I mean you can change the spark plug, adjust the carb, change the air filter/ oil filter, all without removing the motor from the case, and if ya ever need to its only 4 freakin' little screws (OK 10 if ya count removing the handle bar and starter cover). Maybe I'm just used to 'em.

I guess the one I put together just frustrated me!! i took 2 and made 1 and man o man i thought to myself " if i have to pull this thing out of the case one more time its going in the dumpster". You have to pull it from the case to pull the carb off, have to pull the spark plug to pull the motor out and I was having some major carb issues. Finally got it though. A friend at work had said that his first chainsaw was a super 2 just like this one, so that gave me enough reason to give it away just so I didn't have to look at it again. By the way i still have a parts saw if somebody is interested. bottom of the crankcase is junk but i think it has a good P&C.

Last edited:
Pick a Mac, any Mac:hmm3grin2orange:

The only thing that makes the big macs not seem so bad is the little macs.

I guess the one I put together just frustrated me!! i took 2 and made 1 and man o man i thought to myself " if i have to pull this thing out of the case one more time its going in the dumpster". You have to pull it from the case to pull the carb off, have to pull the spark plug to pull the motor out and I was having some major carb issues. Finally got it though. A friend at work had said that his first chainsaw was a super 2 just like this one, so that gave me enough reason to give it away just so I didn't have to look at it again. By the way i still have a parts saw if somebody is interested. bottom of the crankcase is junk but i think it has a good P&C.

Its definitely a good idea to get the carb right the first time on these! Certainly won't argue that it'd be nice to be able to pull the carb without removal of the motor. Me still likes 'em though. :)

Dan

As much as I love my Husky saws, there is one in the group that is a real pain to work on. To any who have worked on it, the 338xpt (and the 334) are the most difficult to work on.

Dan
+1 I agree with you. The first one I had to pull apart was a PITA. After doing a few it's a 5 minute job to get them apart. The oiler is a weak point, plus the high tech foam air filter not one of mans better ideas.

How about a Poulan XX, or model 20, whatever it is its a PITA to work on, i really can't see putting this thing back together. grrrrrrrrrrr
Its in like new condition and just needed new fuel lines so I thought, I had never taken one apart before and never will again...

Solo 611 was a nightmare to change the rings, every part has to be removed
to get to the motor, but it keeps my away from the wife, so its not all bad:givebeer:

Ive got a stihl 031 that has been the domino effect was given to me for free but I still havent gotten it running and I just had to put it in the corner because I look at it and it just drives me crazy.

How about a Poulan XX, or model 20, whatever it is its a PITA to work on, i really can't see putting this thing back together. grrrrrrrrrrr
Its in like new condition and just needed new fuel lines so I thought, I had never taken one apart before and never will again...

Can't argue much with that one. That was Poulans first attempt at a top handle and they didn't make em too long.

At least the put the carb up on top on there next try and got it pretty much right.

This stupid 2100cd I have. It pops, but won't run. Then the saw rips my fingers off trying to start it. Put new seals in it, rebuilt carb. It is getting fuel. I don't know, any ideas?

Freakin Mini Macs! Like Modifiedmark, I just throw them in the trash. However, the Stihl 020 series are a real PITA also. Unfortunately, I've redone them so many times getting them correct, that now it is second nature.

I don't have fond memories of the 020 or those miserable Macs either. I think the worst one I did was a J-red 49SP with the heated handles. The crankcase was cracked so it ran lean, the crankshaft had previously broken, and the heated handle wiring was a nightmare. I never did get it working properly.

whats the worst saw

Tree Sling'r sounds like a ignition problem, bad sem unit, flywheel or key

Back