what's up with some people?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i get done cutting today on the field i was working on, so i thought, the farmer shows up and tells me the four guys cutting the other fields aren't coming back! four !
he wants me to finish their jobs too...i tell him i would look at it first...so we go look, these guys dropped trees all over the place..
three different fields they started on and never finished..
i counted over fifty trees down around the fields and they even dropped some inside the woods, the land owner says no cutting inside the woods at all!!!
come to find out the one guy has done this twice before to other farmers...i say are you serious he comes in cuts wood to length then doesn't haul it out??? why???
anyhow the other three just wont come back.. said its too wet all the time there.. too much wire etc.
my wife tells the guy yes he will cut it all...i tell her after he left,we have some serious work ahead to clean it all up before he plants the fields will be tough.. he is even going to bring me a loader tractor to use on site..it has left the guy up against the wall now.
land owner is pi$$ed off it was people he knew that done this to them...enough people do this it will make it hard for everyone to get a place to cut..i had two other jobs to start,but have pushed them back until fall now.
this guy also tells me if we get it all done he might even start letting me use his back hoe for other jobs in the future....
he is a nice guy, we baled hay and straw for him before..baled 4000 bales of straw before on the field we finished today..
whats up with people today?

Fixing someone elses mess is a bit aggravating, but you will sure look good in the farmers eyes. Kind of surprised that the farmer had not heard about crap those wood cutters did. Usually farmers pass info like that around.

he didnt know until he had a hard time getting them to call back.
he said he told someone at the livestock auction and one thing led to another,he finds this out.he is also going to get me permission to get the wood this guy left at another farmers woods... this will be a good summer time gig..

"Whats up with people today" TMFARM if we knew the answer we would be setting in a chair next to a couch making the big bucks. And only be fooling are self!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
enough people do this it will make it hard for everyone to get a place to cut...

More the opposite. It will open up more opportunities for the guys that do good work.

Anytime I'm cutting on someone else's property, I make sure to clean up each day before leaving. Looks better than 40 trees on the ground, and if unforeseen stuff keeps me from getting back out there, they don't have to clean it up or farm around it. It's a policy that's served me well.

As you've discovered, if you do good work, you'll have more than you know what to do with before long.

What part of the country are ya in and how close to planting are ya? Got a solid month before any field work gets going here normally.

#1 people like to write checks with their mouths that their butts can't cash! #2 people don't have good work ethic. #3 people just don't care what kind of reputation they earn. #4 people couldn't care less about other people and their property. That's a start with what's up with some people! :(

My number one rule when working on somebody elses property.....cut a tree, clean up the tree....cut a tree, clean up a tree. Unless you're running a skidder operation of some kind, there is no reason for an average joe to have more than one tree on the ground. The man is doing you a huge favor alllowing you on his property, the very least you can do is to respect it.

My number one rule when working on somebody elses property.....cut a tree, clean up the tree....cut a tree, clean up a tree. Unless you're running a skidder operation of some kind, there is no reason for an average joe to have more than one tree on the ground. The man is doing you a huge favor alllowing you on his property, the very least you can do is to respect it.

Agreed 100%. Don't crap where you eat!

Real smart way to work; one tree at a time and clean it up. :clap:

Makes it easier too. Screwing with the limbs and brush isn't exactly the most fun part of cutting. Doing it one tree at a time and staying on top of it eliminates a major clean up project after you've layed a couple dozen trees over. That's probably why some of these guys disappear. They see the scope of the mess they've made and bail out on the job.

Did they leave the trunks or take them and leave the mess of the tops? If the trunks are still there, it sounds like a great wood score especially with the farmer supplying some of the equipment.

:msp_thumbsup:

Another good reason for doing it this way is no wood left for the thieves...

Our philosophy is similar in that we cut only what we can buck and haul out that day. I live in suburbia -- so our cutting is usually at a residence with adjacent property with dead standing or fallen. We usually have to park in their drive to load out. We rake, sweep, blow clean any of the debris and crud from loading. One guy is loading the truck and the other is stacking the brush, etc.

In one instance we over cut a bit for the day and could not fit in the truck / trailer, we set the bucked rounds in out of the way spot so it was not an eyesore -- with the homeowners consent. Came back the following weekend, loaded those first -- so we knew how much room we had left for that days cutting.

It boils down to a matter of respect and common courtesies. And yes your reputation is valuable, as I have called back homeowners the following year to see if they had anything left to cut -- they did not but made introductions to their neighbors who did -- another wood score. Had we been turds and left their property a mess -- I am sure they would have told me to buzz off. I know I would have.

I find in alot of instances I feel like the guy in the clown suit with the shovel at the end of the circus parade. I do my best to clean up all the crap left before me by someone else and most times it sure makes you look good in the eyes of the people who didn't get what they asked for or paid for in the first place. :clown::poop:

i am glad to see more people out there like me... we only cut what we can get out that day...
this job the farmer is cleaning up all brush piles him self.. so isn't much cleanup on our part.. he just doesn't want to see all the wood go to waste..
how much easier could you have it?
i wished i had some pics of this, but these guys just kept dropping trees and some have been cut up some not..granted a lot are smaller diameter, like average is 12- 16" diam. most about twenty feet tall..
i see at least fifty trees down over a 160 acre field..my biggest problem is time and weather..1 month to get it out... at two days a week isn't much time... factor in the days it rains too much, and is too muddy, it will be tough...dont get me wrong i am glad to get it and will be smiling all the time i am cutting..
people around here tend to cut everyone off if burned like this, i am glad the guy is still willing to let us in there.

If I make ruts when it is wet/muddy out on someone elses land, I go and tell the landowner if I can that day or as soon as I can. And that I will try to fix the mess I made. A friend made some ruts this winter with his tractor (ground didn't hardly freeze at all this year around here) and I told him to go and tell the landowner about it and he didn't. I ended up doing it insted. Honstiy up front can go a long way.

Latest posts

Back