What's wrong with this clutch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
clutch_3702.jpg

No expert, but shouldn't those springs all be the same?

This is a MS440 (1 of 3 with the same problem out of 7 saws) that a customer brought in. The previous shop tried to save the guy some money by putting 066 clutch springs to take up the slack in the worn out shoes. By doing this it threw the balance off and destroyed 2 of the 3 saws. The 2 saws that were destroyed had bent cranks .015 and .023 out. The 3rd saw besides needing the clutch replaced also had a worn out catch on the worm gear and a bad clutch drum. All three saws had problems with the cluch drums and bearings to a degree. The previous shop did save him some money, but in the long run cost him way more than if the job would have been done right.

Just a warning to those who might think about doing this; DON'T Do It!

Last edited:
Just curious, what did they only change 2 of the springs and not all 3? Obviously they should have put in the right parts from the start but I wonder if they would have changed all three if it would have kept the shoes balanced and not caused all the extra damage.

Yup, cut corners to save money like that costs more ultimately.
What do NEW 044 springs cost? like $5 each through Stihl? its not THAT much money to simply order em and replace.

Last edited:
klickitatsacket said:
This is a MS440 (1 of 3 with the same problem out of 7 saws) that a customer brought in. The previous shop tried to save the guy some money by putting 066 clutch springs to take up the slack in the worn out shoes. By doing this it threw the balance off and destroyed 2 of the 3 saws. The 2 saws that were destroyed had bent cranks .015 and .023 out. The 3rd saw besides needing the clutch replaced also had a worn out catch on the worm gear and a bad clutch drum. All three saws had problems with the cluch drums and bearings to a degree. The previous shop did save him some money, but in the long run cost him way more than if the job would have been done right.

Just a warning to those who might think about doing this; DON'T Do It!

I don't get it. Just how much money do 3 springs cost? I know that Stihl parts run high but save money by substituting springs?

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
I don't get it. Just how much money do 3 springs cost? I know that Stihl parts run high but save money by substituting springs?

Harry K

It's not the springs... it's the shoes... The holes get worn elongated and don't allow the springs to have enough tension. Still no excuse though... Shoes are about $13 each, springs $2-2.50

Dean - take a picture of the shoe holes without the springs installed. Many have probably never noticed the wear.

Latest posts

Back