Whats you 026,260 b/c setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleath

Cliff Leath
Reaction score
Whats your 026,260 b/c setup?

I have one I got used it has a 16" Stihl bar and chain .325 I got to looking at it and its got a 8 pin sprocket. Seems odd to me, I also have a setup for it in 3/8ths.

What are you guys running?

Last edited:
Im running one of the Bailey's 17" bars they had on special a couple years back, with the (I think) 23RC chain @.325.

16 with RSC .325 and 7 pin....

Ditto! I've also got an 8pin which is good for some fast limbing but dont expect to buck up bar length wood without a light touch. Some guys on here are running 3/8" set up on their 260's. I think they're cutting softer wood though.

I think the 8 pin needs to go...no wonder I was having trouble, it was requiring a light touch for sure.

I am going to go and order a 7 pin right now. I would love to try some 3/8ths picco but I dont think you can get a bar any longer than 14 inch.

Since its just low profile I wonder if any lo pro bar would work with Stihl chain?

It should work, from what I know, the Picco is 3/8 lopro. Just make sure the gauge is the same. However, I would keep the .325 7pin setup. The 260 handles it great. I've got lopro on the Ryobi and personally I dislike it.

EDIT: OH! If you're ordering the 7pin aftermarket, make sure you get the mini spline, not the small.

Last edited:
How do you like that ryobi....I am looking at one myself. I believe its a Redmax, if I heard others speak of it.

How do you like that ryobi....I am looking at one myself. I believe its a Redmax, if I heard others speak of it.

I like it now that all the issues are fixed. I had to trim the fuel line shorter, MM it, and get a special carb adj tool. Runs great now! I'm running a 16" oregon bar, much nicer than the original. I believe its brother is the Redmax GZ4000.

I like it now that all the issues are fixed. I had to trim the fuel line shorter, MM it, and get a special carb adj tool. Runs great now! I'm running a 16" oregon bar, much nicer than the original. I believe its brother is the Redmax GZ4000.

GZ400 and yes, they are really good runners with a bit of tuning.

GZ400 and yes, they are really good runners with a bit of tuning.

Yes, you're right, too many zeros. I love how light and nimble it is. Makes a nice trimming/limbing saw. Of course, I do occasionally use mine to buck smaller stuff up, it's no slouch.

Boy howdy I side tracked my own thread. Thanks for the info.

I sure like this 026, I might have to find me another one.

Boy howdy I side tracked my own thread. Thanks for the info.

I sure like this 026, I might have to find me another one.

Hah, its no biggie. It is YOUR thread.

But, 026/260 .325 7pin is a great setup! /thread

I guess I didnt need it after all...someone out sniped me....thats ok I will find another.

not sure you will be able to find a picco bar to fit the 026,unless it is a NOS one. i have been looking for a bar to set one of mine with picco chain,with no luck. i run a 16" picco set-up on my ms250 and i love it,it will hang with the 260 all day long if you keep the chain sharp. i have checked with bailey's, and no luck. the only thing i was thing about is changing the bar studs,or chucking them up in the mill and cutting them down.

i feel these saws cut faster as well w/.325 setup's. but i am running 18"/.375/fullskip/8-pin on my new 261 and it is awesome. but allthat saw cuts is ash and cherry.

i feel these saws cut faster as well w/.325 setup's. but i am running 18"/.375/fullskip/8-pin on my new 261 and it is awesome. but allthat saw cuts is ash and cherry.

Now, that may be the case. I never claimed the 3/8 to be faster, but I will say it wont pull it down. I have no problems running it, and prefer it, so I dont have to have 40 million different chains hangin in the shop.

Here is the first video I ever made, and its of a bone stock 026 with a 20" 3/8 setup. It pulls it just fine.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jKTSppVi2xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back