What's your best excuse to go cut wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If you already have enough firewood, what's your rationalization for cutting more? In other words, what excuses do the rest of you guys use to go play with the saws? Here are the next two I'm going to use:
If I don't cut that dead leaner soon, insects and rot will degrade the trunk making it really dangerous to fell.
I was going to put that shelving up like you asked, but the hardware store is out of those special screws.

I say honey let's go down and take the girls out for a picnic and maybe if there is time ill cut a little wood but she always asks why are you taking 3 saws to cut just a little wood:hmm3grin2orange:

I always try to include the fam its fun and gets us all out in the outdoors

Honey, look at this heating bill. We've saved about $100 a month on gas since last year when we didn't have the wood stove. --nevermind the hundreds I spend on saw parts-- haha

Who needs an excuse? I just let the house get down around 74 and when the family starts complaining about how cold it is I just say "man I had better go get some more wood"

There's one week out of every month that I spend all my spare time in the woods cutting or at the river drowning worms.

Can ya' figure what that's about?:bang::bang:

I cut some wood the other day, and well, if I dont get it out before it rains ill get stuck! Or I just go while shes not home! I do agree we have a great team here. Even the 3 and 5 year olds come out and run the quad to haul out the stash we cut. The wife enjoys coming out too, until the kids get too whiney! Good family time, and it teaches them to work for something and appreciate nature.

Don't need no steenkeen excuse.
Gotta hear regular 2-stroke arias, and blow away any cobwebs.
There's still some open space in the drive to stack incoming rounds. Very little, true. But, gotta make firewood while the sun shines- oak takes time.

Back when, kids would head to the p/u on seeing saws being loaded.

Lies or reasons to cut wood.

I do not want the gas in the saws to go bad.Honey I drank a few to many beers and need the exercise.Just cutting to see if my sharpening method is doing as well as I like.Put a new spark plug in the saw and has to be cutting to check it out.Ken

Damn its cold in here!

OK, all joking aside, I just tell my wife I have to break in my saw......and she asks how long it takes to break in a saw. Little does she know its just another new saw.

Nick

"My uncle died... and in his honor he wanted me to go cut down a tree!"

"Wanna come with? I can cut some wood then you can do something else with my wood." (That worked out pretty good actually! ;))

"My saws are getting hungry! Think of the poor starving saws!!"

Guys, I take advantage of any chance I get to use my saws.

"Hey guy I got a tree that needs taken down but its right on the edge of a 200ft cliff, wanna come get it down?"
"HELL YES!!!"

Don't need much of an excuse, besides it being fun. We cut every other weekend in the fall/winter and get to play all day on the ATV and tractor, leaving the cell phones in the truck and simply relaxing. It's more of a therapy thing than anything else. Also, after a hard day how can you beat a home cooked meal from my family, whom I am cutting wood for...:wave: :beer:

I have the same problem.
I have all of next years wood cut/ split.
And some for the winter of 13/14.
I will be dealing w/ rot if I cut any more.
My fall/spring wood is a mix of soft/ hardwood. That I cut the winter before, so I'll always have that to do.

I guess I'd rather look at it then look for it.

Solution: Slower saws.:msp_thumbdn:

I have the same problem.
I have all of next years wood cut/ split.
And some for the winter of 13/14.
I will be dealing w/ rot if I cut any more.
My fall/spring wood is a mix of soft/ hardwood. That I cut the winter before, so I'll always have that to do.

I guess I'd rather look at it then look for it.

Solution: Slower saws.:msp_thumbdn:

Start selling a little bit.
That will serve 2 purposes. Cash flow and keep you on a saw. :cool2:

rather than taking a ball peen hammer to a customers vehicle.... grab a saw ,walk 50yrds to the log pile and cool off ,turns aggravation into productive time

Ive used about every reason available. I know she appreciates the low gas bills, and having my out of her hair for a while. Havent had much time to do any cutting lately though!

"Klotz and racing gas smell better on me than high dollar purfume, and sparkles"

She always agrees!

Latest posts

Back