What's your best McGyver repairs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DB5A5614-ABD0-4321-9D31-643B3ED30888.jpeg I bought a 6401 Parts saw, when I pulled the clutch cover I found that evidently the e-clip came off and they lost the end washer and rim drive. Not to be deterred they kept the saw running with a piece of #12 copper wire in the e-clip groove. Note they neglected to replace the rim drive. No wonder it turned into a Parts saw.

Used copper wire for a choke lever, swapped the power head off a brush cutter to a loop handle trimmer shaft, spliced an old plug wire from a bad coil onto an old working coil with no plug lead, all to get the frankenhusqy running, and used dirt to extinguish the three fires that occurred on it.

3e1.png

8c5a2db7cebdb9bf79e7f66e5bb5b0fd.jpg

Give it a good squeeze and it will start first or second pull.

Runs ‘till the bottle goes flat.

The above setup proved the new fuel filter was trash and there was nothing wrong with the carb.

Here, just to avoid having to dump fuel from a ginormous powerhead.
e3fb2cd0f6bd5f9ec1cff62e482c12ef.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Is that a Wright C70-D hitting the sauce?
I noticed the variable timing lever....

View attachment 631662 I bought a 6401 Parts saw, when I pulled the clutch cover I found that evidently the e-clip came off and they lost the end washer and rim drive. Not to be deterred they kept the saw running with a piece of #12 copper wire in the e-clip groove. Note they neglected to replace the rim drive. No wonder it turned into a Parts saw.
That's more Jed Clampett than McGyver, but hey, who am I to judge.....lol

IMG_20180210_125019050.jpg Plastic welder epoxy on the 200T fuel tank from where it bumped a knot while climbing. -Still have the new tank hanging above the bench, it's been there for years.

20181117_192044.jpg Can't think of any saw fixes right off the top of my head. But...

Ninja 900 blew a 30 amp fuse and left me stranded on the side of a busy freeway for a few minutes until I found an aluminum can and broke the pop top in half and stuck it in there in place of the fuse and was on my way.

Cotter pin came out of a lower ball joint on an old Supra letting the nut back off and the spindle came loose putting the left front a-arm on the ground.
I was going slow around a corner when it happened. And miraculously, I found the nut and a nail that fit perfect and had it rolling in just a few minutes.

Have started dismantling a hazardous old elm that's been slowly dying for the past decade or more. It's precariously situated a couple of feet from the house, and a few feet from a power line, and about twenty feet from the front fence and forty feet from the side fence, with large, high, not so sturdy limbs in all directions.
I've been up on top of the house nibbling away at the small ends of the branches I can reach with my 16 foot reach(with 4' extension) PPT-2620.
Before I get it ready to drop I will have done my greatest McGyvering with rigging these big, heavy, high, wide-spreading, unstable limbs from afar to lower them safely to the ground.
I expect to incorporate all manner of lines, ropes, straps, cables, chains, pullies, snatchblocks, ladders, a bow and arrow, heavy plywood and 4×6's along with some large cedar poles, an 11,000 pound pickup, and probably three or more different chainsaws before the trunk finally hits the ground.

Had this old Kawasaki generator that was missing most of its parts. I'm still messing with the wiring but everything was done with stuff laying around the basement one day when I was bored.

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_180404656.jpg
    IMG_20181020_180404656.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 16
Best?

Hmmm.

Those were all my Dad’s and his buddies.

Like doing a quick weld with a battery, or putting a piece of paper in a fuel pump to get just a little more throw to get the Willy’s out of the bush, or using a leather shoelace as a fan belt on an old pickup, or using boomers and chains to keep a broken centre bolt leaf spring in place, or using a piece of a log as a skid in lieu of a spare tire.

Wait a minute! I’ve done all of those and many more, but I didn’t invent them..

None of our Mcgyvers come close to those of those who came before us.

I have seen some darn good fixes now. I have tried to weld magnesium parts with less than stellar success and then covered it with JB. I took several not just one worn piston an taped a hundred dimples in the skirt with my slag hammer then put new rings back on and hoped for another go round. Recently needed a new carb, so dug through my carb box to find a similar one. The offset was wrong so made two studs with similar offset. That one is a great success because it still runs great. Thanks

I have seen some darn good fixes now. I have tried to weld magnesium parts with less than stellar success and then covered it with JB. I took several not just one worn piston an taped a hundred dimples in the skirt with my slag hammer then put new rings back on and hoped for another go round. Recently needed a new carb, so dug through my carb box to find a similar one. The offset was wrong so made two studs with similar offset. That one is a great success because it still runs great. Thanks

Latest posts

Back