What's your best McGyver repairs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had a picture still, I used a brass pipe union and had to grind it down to slip inside the broken handle of a ts420 and then riveted it in place, Still holds perfect. owner didn't want to spend $40 on a new handle

Wish I had a picture still, I used a brass pipe union and had to grind it down to slip inside the broken handle of a ts420 and then riveted it in place, Still holds perfect. owner didn't want to spend $40 on a new handle
They cost more like $60 or $70 from Stihl.
They make a good aftermarket one now.
I used this fiberglass water activated repair tape on stuff like that. It's similar to what they use for making casts for broken bones. It's in auto parts stores around here. This stuff is the bomb.20160821_162355.jpg

I wasn't gonna pay $15 for a slider kill switch. Ran an extra wire and used a computer power supply switch. I didn't cut plastic to seat it...I may have an attack of OEM at some point and want a real one.

View attachment 541987
I have one of those saws in my bone pile. It's a 012 with a good 40mm cylinder. The oiler didn't work. So it's for parts now.
I'll see if the switch is still on it, plus it looks like you need a carb adjustment grommet. The big hurdle on those saws is the oiler. Too expensive to replace, and parts are getting harder to find.

downloadfile-250.jpg

Don't toss those rare pistons.or any pistons.
Patented repair for pistons that don't need any warm up.Fire up the engine and go WOT any application.
The copper provides the sliptivity till all the atoms aline themselves.View attachment 542311
Isn't that Catalytic convertor material?
Bird's nest is what I call it.

Not on chainsaw and don't have pics so kinda worthless but I fixed the gas tank on my sons dirtbike yesterday. Was having leakage around the press in fitting so I yanked it out and threaded a barb fitting through the plastic with gas resistant teflon to seal then put the press in fitting inside the tank and was able to catch the threads on it and sandwich the plastic for a solid hold. So far no leaks! Once I find a new tank I'm gonna replace it though. Not a fan of weird mods for gas tanks :crazy:

I’ve done many thru the years but my latest is using a plastic ketchup bottle for a temporary fuel tank.
8c5a2db7cebdb9bf79e7f66e5bb5b0fd.jpg

Give it a good squeeze and it will start first or second pull.

Runs ‘till the bottle goes flat.

The above setup proved the new fuel filter was trash and there was nothing wrong with the carb.

Here, just to avoid having to dump fuel from a ginormous powerhead.
e3fb2cd0f6bd5f9ec1cff62e482c12ef.jpg

Latest posts

Back