What's your favorite part of tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a top out... The adrenaline of the last few seconds of your back cut and just as it starts to go over.

While waiting on the groundie to untie a limb from the rigging line,sitting back in the saddle and watching the babe next door prance around the pool in her bikini ,knowing you can see her but also knowing nobody else can.

It's happen probably 30-40 times to me .

One time totally naked but it was a few doors down and she was half way under the lanai,but still,she would have had to been blind and deaf to not notice me in a tree.

Last edited:
While waiting on the groundie to untie a limb from the rigging line,sitting back in the saddle and watching the babe next door prance around the pool in her bikini ,knowing you can see her but also knowing nobody else can.

One time totally naked but it was a few doors down and she was half way under the lanai,but still,she would have had to been blind and deaf to not notice me in a tree.

Score one for you... Clear cut winner end the thread now.

My favorite is fine tune pruning. It takes time but looks nice when completed. A good customer always appreciates this type of work and doesn't mind paying for it either.

My favorite part is loading wood with the skidder or the mini either way , theres just some relief when you progress to that point in the day, it also seems the part of tree work where I have progressed the most , we used to cut the wood into one-manners and have to hand throw it in the truck very back breaking and it was always at 2pm when you were at your most tired... Those days really sucked

Nice ........I have only seen one in a pool and frankly she was a 100yder up close not so hot...

Prunning trees on a college campus the girls would put on a little show for us! Otherwise big nasty danger trees that no one else wants to do.

I like anything that toes the line of reasonable...rigging a monster limb or top, laying an entire tree out that juuuuust fits in the DZ. I get immense satisfaction knowing a tree's or piece of equipment's limits and pushing them right to that point and no further.

Good one treeclimber, I can relate to the wood loading. Our loader has a grapple and makes things much easier these days (slightly more boring, but easier). Once in a while I long for the old days of quartering slabs to lift them in the back of the log truck.

Anyhow, my favorite part of tree work has got to be removals. Even if I'm not flying the bucket or climbing, I enjoy working the ground during a removal. Everything has to be in order.

I have a severe case of OCD. Never is there a branch in my lowering zone. My rope goes where I go. I move logs and slabs out of the way into neat piles, I never let brush and wood conglomerate. My saw and rake are always next to each other, neatly placed out of harms way. If this means that I'm working extra hard to keep my work zone clean and organized, then so be it.

Nothing beats the aesthetics of a perfectly set up removal project. I take pride in looking like a professional.

I like the progress of a good tree team. Good climber, someone on the ropes that knows what's going on, good groundsman, good skid operator. Everyone working with the same goal in mind: smoothly, efficiently, and safely get the job done. No one trying to show off or prove something.

I like when the customer is wowed. Like a tricky limb comes down like clockwork while they are watching. Like when we are done and the yard looks GREAT.

I like when the customer goes out of his way to show he appreciates you: lunch, tip, etc.

I personally like proper tree pruning. When you take your time pruning, stand back, and look at how natural the tree looks. Very rewarding.
Another tree not topped. Mission accomplished.

First of all I have loved just the aspect of working outside for over 4 decades. Not just the easy weather but the bad as well. Prove your metal daily. Also not being closed up in a box all day like most people are. When winter hits I love getting the appropriate clothing ready or buying some new stuff....and I am fed up with sweating. In the summer I am fed up with being cold and wearing so much clothing and love the feel of the sun on my body.

In the spring it is just so incredibly beautiful out and everything is coming alive again. In the fall, again the beauty, but there is some anticipation for easier days and a melancholy feeling of another year gone by with time allowing thoughts and reminiscing. Somewhat sad but sadness is better than being numb and not always a bad feeling.

But I also love the yin and yang of this job and the physicality. One day you are a rigging engineer and expert tearing down a huge structure in a tight place with evolved skills and equipment. The next day you are choosing the right tree to replace it that only an arborist really knows and planting it and caring for it and witnessing your juvenile's progress in life. You diagnose disorders and extend the lives of living organisms. You prune with knowledge of anatomy to benefit the tree instead of the old ways that gave some injury in the process. I love tree books.

I love the way climbing makes the body feel and hits muscles you just don't get to in the gym. You stretch and contract at the same time. Pruning a big tree is way under rated in degree of difficulty. That is where the real skills and techniques are revealed. Spikes off.....now let's see what you can do with imagination, equipment, knowledge and muscle. This is the most difficult climbing in our business without question. You want to boggle a crowd that has gathered....show them a high level of skill while moving around a huge decurrent tree without spikes. Then wow them with the obvious scene of someone knowing what they are doing while surgically improving something living like a doctor would do.

"What is that guy doing up there?"

"I don't know but he obviously does."

I like the fame and fortune, all the pretty girls. Its the diamond life fer sure! Man I am so freakin estactic about the whole freakin thing! Now somebody get the back pack blower and get rid of all that dam dog ####!

Very Hard for me to choose one of the aspects of working in and around trees. Nothing like hearing the crack and thunder when falling large trees, the mental plan of attack assuring my and everyone else's safety when topping and removal in residential situations. The view from mother natures finest creations at 50' to 150' is incredible, and the feeling of weight off the body when touching down after several hours of having my knees in the breeze and chin in the wind.
:cheers:

Back