What's your favourite smallest handy chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My RyobiMax is growing on me, light, nice handling little saw, starts super easy. Not terribly powerful yet, but I'll get around to the muffler mod and base gasket delete soon and that should wake it up.

I don't have the bugs worked out of the Dolmar 100 super yet, but it has potential to be a nice little limbing saw, noticeably smaller than the Ryobi.

I've been pretty much using nothing but small saws lately. Mainly because of all the dead ash trees around these parts that are about 10 to 12 inch trunks. My go too is the Ryobi 40cc with the 18 inch bar. That saw rips in 12 inch wood.

I've really been liking my Jonsered 2238 Tractor Supply bargain bin saw. Its basically a Poulan and I put a 16 inch bar on it.

My newest is my Tanaka 3351 that I bought myself for Christmas last year from Baileys. Not as powerful as the others but well built and it has a nice cracking muffler note that I like. Its better made than the above saws too.

I have my eye on a really clean Poulan XXV with carb issues that I really don't need. I'd probably want to send that saw off for a little hot rodding. That would make a nice Christmas gift to my self this year.

Not only are these little rippers easier on my back and hands, they use far less fuel than 50cc plus saws. I cut almost a chord and a 3rd on less than a gallon of mix. I'd have to see what's left in my gallon container but there's more than a quart of mix left.

I like my 1970's Homelite Super 2. its small, light and has some power. not a GREAT saw, but it gets the job done.
I too like the Homelite Super 2 for all small jobs. It goes on my tractor every time I'm headed into the woods. With a semi chisel chain and a fresh spark plug, it will keep me happy for most of the year. It's especially handy when cutting pecker wood for the boiler. It's a one-handed marvel for my purposes. I have 2 that I use for around the farm, one with a hand guard and one without. The one with works good in shrubbery with nasty thorns.

We needed a saw to take to deer camp a few years back, and to be honest, some of the guys I hunt with have no business with a gun or chainsaw either one, so I wanted something cheap. I hopped on CL and found a Solo 636 for $30 5 minutes from my house. I bought that saw and have left it at camp for many years, it gets zero service other than chain sharpened occasionally and it just keeps ticking. Stays in the shed up at camp all year and so far has started with no issues every year. I'm predominantly a Stihl guy, but that little saw gets used by Neanderthals for trimming trees around camp and probably 1-2 cords of campfire wood a year and just keeps going.

I too like the Homelite Super 2 for all small jobs. It goes on my tractor every time I'm headed into the woods. With a semi chisel chain and a fresh spark plug, it will keep me happy for most of the year. It's especially handy when cutting pecker wood for the boiler. It's a one-handed marvel for my purposes. I have 2 that I use for around the farm, one with a hand guard and one without. The one with works good in shrubbery with nasty thorns.
I'm still saving a Super 2 back to use on small stuff. They don't sell all that well anyway but with a new chain it comes in handy.

I just picked up a Husky 35 tophandle.. don't have pictures of it yet... sat for some time I think, pulled on it a couple times and it fired up and ran pretty good.. a little tweaking (er.. porting) and I think I will find it very handy

I just picked up a Husky 35 tophandle.. don't have pictures of it yet... sat for some time I think, pulled on it a couple times and it fired up and ran pretty good.. a little tweaking (er.. porting) and I think I will find it very handy
is that the sleek swept shaped one that frontier made under licence for husky by
Trail Manufacturing way back?

I guess it's all possible.. I haven't taken a close enough look at the saw... it's a bit grimy.. I just gave it a couple pulls and it fired.

I've never heard of emab before... Acres doesn't list them as a saw company.

For me its my MS241 but ... after being on this forum I'm tempted to try a Stihl 150T sometime or perhaps one of the older vintage 009's perhaps.

Like many on this forum, before I joined I thought I only needed one saw now I have three and considering adding a top handle :)

Back