Whats your idea of a Pro Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see many threads with saw that have been catagorized in a Pro catagory. They are obviously bigger than some and not as big as others. Personally I have never seen a Pro run a saw smaller than 70cc (Pro Arborist diff.). What or who is a Pro?
In over 13 years falling timber in the PNW I have seen nothing other than Stihl and Husky, and honestly I have seen very few Husky.
Back in the day there were the Pioneers, Mac's and Stihl AV models. I have never seen Dolmar, Echo along with other brands in the woods, I have seen them at homes, in shops. Not saying they have never been out there.
In my industry when you show up on a new job the first thing the boss is going to notice is your vehicle, next he will notice your equipment. If both are tops - he knows you can keep a job.
How many of you have run a "Pro" saw - is your model in tip top shape? Is your chain sharp?
Or you have not, but bash the other brand because it is not what you have?
In my experience all I have ever run for work is the Stihl 440, 460 and 660. I consider those Pro saws.
Just curious on what others think - not at all stirring up the terd stew - just wondering.
Tree Sling'r.

"Pro" denotes a saw that is designed for longevity with daily use. A consumer grade saw is one that gets used a couple of times a year or so and is built to be more cost effective out the door, vs cost effective over the long haul.

Close enough. Displacement has nothing to do with it.

Mark

I consider a Pro saw to have the folowing...

Magnesium crankcase (or other metal)
Great power to weight ratio
Good ergonomics
The ability to withstand a pro level Arborist or Fallers abuse day in and day out without needing a rebuild every 6 months.

Other things come to mind but will skip them for now.

I consider my best pro level saw my modded 440. Gets the job done that much faster, and makes me more money in the same amount of time as a non modded pro saw.

"Pro"

I have been a logger for 20 plus years, does that make me a "Pro"? I have never used a saw over 70 cc to make a living. Does that mean I am not a "Pro"?

Different coast, different wood, different saws. Most "Pro's" here use 45-60 cc saws.

One of the most popular models with loggers here was the Stihl 034. One year it would be classed as a pro model, the next a consumer saw. I asked the dealer why. His answer was that it depended on the # of saws in the system. We soon learned how to play the game and bought the saws in the consumer year for a $150 dollar savings.

Stihl Crazy said:
I have been a logger for 20 plus years, does that make me a "Pro"? I have never used a saw over 70 cc to make a living. Does that mean I am not a "Pro"?

Different coast, different wood, different saws. Most "Pro's" here use 45-60 cc saws.

Different indeed.
I often think what is a "Pro". Am I, is he, are you? Hell if I know. I would guess a "Pro" is someone who is experienced , is very good at his or her job, someone who gets paid more for doing the same job and someone who can teach their job to others.
In that case: am I, are you - whos to judge?

As far as the classification posted by Old Saw - I had no idea that was the criteria.

I think everyone would agree, that a "pro saw" is what a manufacturer would consider a "professional grade" saw.
Built for the individuals that use them for a living.
All the variuos reputable saw companies state this in their brochures.

oldsaw said:
"Pro" denotes a saw that is designed for longevity with daily use.

Mark

then by that definition, my 029 super is a 'pro' saw. that thing runs like a swiss watch, the ms360 'pro' i bought, well, lets just say not as reliable. already had to be rebuilt once, and the 029 is much older, with no problems.
both saws are used for the same job, with the same maintence, same fuel, everything. the 029 has held up much better while doing the same job.

my defination of a pro is someone who goes out everyday getting the job done, works smart, knows his stuff, is safe and productive, and runs good reliable equipment. reliable equipment, imo, is the operative word. I know guys who can make money running 440s in the woods, and others who spend all day tearing up 660s and not getting anything done.
-Ralph

Tree Sling'r, based on your definition I would have to say yes, but it really doesn't matter. I own the company, I can be whatever I say I am.

Over here (Sweden), most "pro" saws are quite 'small'...I won't guess model numbers, but 50-60cc would be enough for most trees. Often harvesters are used. Husqvarna 346xp and 353 and Jonsered 2147 and 2152 are considered pro saws here.

(I'm not a pro, amateur at best :) )

Tree Sling'r said:
I see many threads with saw that have been catagorized in a Pro catagory. They are obviously bigger than some and not as big as others. Personally I have never seen a Pro run a saw smaller than 70cc (Pro Arborist diff.). What or who is a Pro?
In over 13 years falling timber in the PNW I have seen nothing other than Stihl and Husky, and honestly I have seen very few Husky.
Back in the day there were the Pioneers, Mac's and Stihl AV models. I have never seen Dolmar, Echo along with other brands in the woods, I have seen them at homes, in shops. Not saying they have never been out there.
In my industry when you show up on a new job the first thing the boss is going to notice is your vehicle, next he will notice your equipment. If both are tops - he knows you can keep a job.
How many of you have run a "Pro" saw - is your model in tip top shape? Is your chain sharp?
Or you have not, but bash the other brand because it is not what you have?
In my experience all I have ever run for work is the Stihl 440, 460 and 660. I consider those Pro saws.
Just curious on what others think - not at all stirring up the terd stew - just wondering.
Tree Sling'r.

Well, Im by no means a logger. I dont burn wood for heat, in fact I cant even get my FIL to take wood for his stove. He would rather burn scrap lumber and rotted cherry he gets from trees that fall in his yard.

I do own a 361, and a 660. Both I think are considered "pro" saws. I use my saws for milling.

I do keep my chains sharp, and my equipment clean. I spend more time maintaining my stuff then I do using it most of the time.

here is a picture of the diffrences in a non pro saw compared to a pro saw.
on the left is a Poulan Pro 255, non pro saw. on the right, is a Stihl 084, a pro saw. whats the diffrence? crankcase/cyl design. as you can see Poulan cylinder is the upper half of the crankcase, and the lower part is just a little cap. the engine assembly fits in a plastic cradle that makes up the oil tank and in a case like this, the fuel tank also. on the Pro saw, in this case a Stihl 084 the crankcase is a complete unit, integrated with the oil tank, bar studs and all that. the cylinder is its own seperate unit with no crankcase integrated into it. this pro design provides greater durability and easier service.

http://www.nwchainsaw.com/diff.jpg

It is nice to have the cylinder bolt off of the crank case like a Stihl 084, but i do like the idea of being able to replace the crank bearings, seals and rod bearings if needed while doing top end work on a pro mac 800. In my mind this gives you a fresh start with an old saw.

hmmm

I dunno. Experience is definitely the key thing here I believe. Someone who has gone to school or had training in the logging industry I believe would be considered a pro. But that's not all. W/out any formal training one could still be as long as they are extremely knowledgeable and have had much experience. If someone does it for a living, even if they aren't too bright, that would make them a pro. Read below...

pro‧fes‧sion‧al  /prəˈfɛʃənl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist

As far as the Pro series saws. I believe they are more rugged in construction. I.e. more magnesium/titanium etc... Instead of plastic. More thought goes into pro saws. Think about it. They don't spend all that time working on antivibe for someone that turns on a saw for 20min twice a year. Also, ease of use, ease of starting. Think, all the new saws make your job easier, you don't have to twist the logs, just set the saw in the log and let it cut. These saws are designed to run longer/take more abuse than and average saw. Just my thoughts. Anyone else agree??? :cheers:

Obviously a pro saw is anything a pro uses, but in my mind 'maintainable' and 'rebuildable' are key pro indicators. Throwaway equipment that can't be refreshed with new wear parts isn't 'pro' to me.

I had an old Bosch woodworking router that rattled. Weighed a ton, built like a tank. It came apart easily, and with some new bearings (maybe $30 if I remember) it ran like new. It may still be running somewhere, and is probably as accurate as when it left the factory. Try running a few dozen linear feet with a B&D plastic router from Home Depot. It will break, and it won't be fixable. Same with chainsaws.

mktest said:
Over here (Sweden), most "pro" saws are quite 'small'...I won't guess model numbers, but 50-60cc would be enough for most trees. Often harvesters are used. Husqvarna 346xp and 353 and Jonsered 2147 and 2152 are considered pro saws here.

(I'm not a pro, amateur at best :) )

about the same here, huskies mostly and not so much stihls around...

but IMO the biggest point for pro saw is that it has to withstand abuse of daily logging... eventhou, ive heard of loggers who go trought whopping 3 saws a year, but most loggers will go trought only 1 saw a year...

Wes said:
Obviously a pro saw is anything a pro uses, but in my mind 'maintainable' and 'rebuildable' are key pro indicators. Throwaway equipment that can't be refreshed with new wear parts isn't 'pro' to me.

I had an old Bosch woodworking router that rattled. Weighed a ton, built like a tank. It came apart easily, and with some new bearings (maybe $30 if I remember) it ran like new. It may still be running somewhere, and is probably as accurate as when it left the factory. Try running a few dozen linear feet with a B&D plastic router from Home Depot. It will break, and it won't be fixable. Same with chainsaws.

I'm with Wes. A machine that is designed from the get-go as a serviceable unit as opposed to being disposble is a key factor in my mind. Sure, anything can be rebuilt, but I'm talking of design with the intent on serviceability.

begleytree said:
then by that definition, my 029 super is a 'pro' saw. that thing runs like a swiss watch, the ms360 'pro' i bought, well, lets just say not as reliable. already had to be rebuilt once, and the 029 is much older, with no problems.
both saws are used for the same job, with the same maintence, same fuel, everything. the 029 has held up much better while doing the same job.

my defination of a pro is someone who goes out everyday getting the job done, works smart, knows his stuff, is safe and productive, and runs good reliable equipment. reliable equipment, imo, is the operative word. I know guys who can make money running 440s in the woods, and others who spend all day tearing up 660s and not getting anything done.
-Ralph

If it's doing the job, it's a "pro" saw. It's gotta be able to work and be rebuildable as Wes mentioned, cost effectively. Putting "Pro" on the label isn't going to work. The 029 has earned its "chops", the 360 has its second chance to prove itself (it has already fulfilled one of the objectives, you did rebuild it). Also feature sets that are more targeted to heavy use, like the additional oil "switch" on my 3120. Very nice feature. Bars are expensive, and consumers won't wear out the one that came on the saw...unless they forget the bar oil...

You see, I don't fall into the trap. My Super XL (and most of the saws of its generation) would qualify. Wildthingies, not so much. The Stihl/Husky/Dolmar version of "homeowner use" is different too.

Mark

Latest posts

Back