Wheels for chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need new wheels for a 90 Morbark Chipper. The old wheels have 9.50 x 16.5 tiresand they cost $90 new. I was looking to see if you can use a 15" and what size tires would hold the weight of machine. They are 6 hole rims. ThanksI

Kool, I have a '90 Morbark. Still running the 16fives, so I'd like to know too.
-alph

Wheels and tires are almost never rated at the same load capacity. Read the rating off the sidewall of the tire. In most cases, the tire is rated for less load than the wheel (at least, that is how it is supposed to be). As long as you can match the tire rated load for a 15" rim with what you have currently, there shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind, the rim should be rated for more than the tire.

Does that help?

Uh... consider:

Going from 16.5's to 15's, even within the same load rating, can have some pretty nasty handling drawbacks. The taller sidewall of the 15 will flex more when cornering- not desirable on a machine with a relatively high center of gravity already.

As for the load rating, don't forget the safety margin! They put those tires on there for a darn good reason.

You should be able to get the tire AND rim for $90 or so... I just paid that 2 months ago at New England Trailer.

Since 16.5 are still available I wouldn't feel too compelled to switch but if you want to switch the easy conversion is to a 16.-There are lots of wheels with matching hole patterns (16.5s usually use 8 hole rims). If you have 15 inch rims to match the current hole pattern then the load ratings and ride heights are the issues you need to evaluate.

I was just thinking I'd throw a set of recap 16fives on it and forget it.
-Ralph

Back