When burning full time, post how much wood do you burn in a day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just curious as to what everybody is going through compared to others. I'll start and we are talking a tightly stacked cube of splits. I usually load around 7am through 10PM. My splits are around 22" in length and the stack is 24" long by 24" high....so.....

22x24x24 = 12,672 cubic inches..........HearthStone H1 non Cat vintage 1986 model

Just curious as to what everybody is going through compared to others. I'll start and we are talking a tightly stacked cube of splits. I usually load around 7am through 10PM. My splits are around 22" in length and the stack is 24" long by 24" high....so.....

22x24x24 = 12,672 cubic inches..........HearthStone H1 non Cat vintage 1986 model

About this much <--------------------------------------------------------------------------> :dizzy:

This varies so much, if its cold we burn more, if we are home we are more likley to feed the beast more often with " shoulder " wood, and keep the better stuff for colder/ evening burns when we get the benefit of it more.

But, I used last week 4 heaped wheel barrow loads if that helps

I typically carry wood in the house using a 5 gallon bucket, lengths are 18"-20". I use three bucket loads per day, 6am, 4pm, & 9pm load times. Stove is a Jotul C450 insert. Soft maple in the shoulder seasons, good **** Dec - Feb.

If it's going full time, average winter WI weather, my wood furnace will turn a cord of wood into smoke and ash in about two weeks. At full military power in a real cold snap (High temps 0F or below), that can turn into less than 10 days. Thankfully, we only get about a week or so of that weather in the average winter.

I've been keeping good (almost scientific) track of my wood use this year, and since I lit the first fire on 9-18, I've used a half cord of pine and box elder, and not a bit of propane.

From my files:

9-18 to 10-5: .13 cords burned
10-5 to 10-17 .11
10-17 to 10-25 .07
10-25 to 10-28 .11
10-28 thru today, probably add another .1 cord, partway through a .19 cord stack.

At some point, I need to plug in the daily high/low temps and make some better information out of this data.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how much my use drops when I go EPA stove sometime before the end of the year. That's the main reason for keeping a close record.

A standard season's wood for me is about 8 cords, varies from 5 1/2 (last year) to 10, with lots of variables - wood, temp outside, temp inside, amount of time I spend away from home (propane takes over), etc.

Thats funny I call my hardy the BEAST. I tell the old dog " lets feed the beast" and she goes right to the Hardy. I use one wheelbarrow per day in this weather and when it gets colder I fill it twice a day and thats two wheelbarrows a day.:msp_scared:

We burn 4ftx3ftx20in long in 6days when its cold out.last week 3rd of that. We heat a 2300sq ranch

Dang that's efficient..what stove are ya running?
Magnolia 2015 by us stove .we burn around 5 cord a year. Been 3years since furnace has been used.we keep the house at 68-72 .when its lower then that wife tells me to go feed the stove. When we used propane we kept it 60 to 65 .

I peek out at about 1/4 cord per week.

Unfortunately, when I'm at that pace I can only stuff -- and I mean stuff -- about five days worth of wood inside. Well, without starting to stack it on carpets and such.

Hmmm...I just realized after some changes I made to the foyer...I might be able to keep another couple days worth of wood inside :D

With my BK princess woodstove and heating 1700 SF or 1963 rambler in the cascade foothills of WA, I reload once every 24 horus for continuous burning. The stove can do 30, and this time of year it is too warm to keep a fire going but when it gets cold. 2.75 cubic feet per day.

15" long splits of alder, so about a 1 foot by 2 foot stack of 15" long splits.

First year with a thermostatic cat stove and 24-30 hours on one load is awesome.

I have one of those canvas bag carriers. This is the first winter with the new insert so we'll see how it turns out. I've been burning at about 75% right now and I would say I've been using 2 carriers worth of wood per day. Been burning mostly Ash. Little bit of soft Maple that was mixed in there too.

When it's cold and running full loads, it will be 3-4 full arm loads of Oak and Maple.
If Cherry and Elm are mixed in, it could be 4-5.

When it gets downright cold and the wind is howling, 5-6 Arm loads of Locust and Oak...easy.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My old house used 3 large heaped wheel barrow loads per day. Was only about 1000 sq ft. It was like heating a screened in porch! Burned around 18 cords/winter.

This house uses 1 wheel barrow load per day in very cold weather, less when above zero.

I burn only red oak

Ted

In the wintertime we average a heaped wheelbarrow load every 2 days or so. Right now temps are in the 30's so we aren't doing full loads yet. We're heating a 2400 sf Victorian.

I have a cast iron wood bin that's probably 28" wide and 18" deep. On a cold weekend day I'll burn a bin full of cottonwood and then throw in some elm or apple at night. We work weekdays, so I start a fire at 5:00 when I get home. One armload will bring the house up from 60 degrees to about 72.

House is a 1933 Craftsman bungalow, two story, 1500 sq ft. Insulation in the attic, none in the walls. The stove is a catalytic Vermont Castings Encore.

Goes from a few chunks of uglies and some kindling sticks in the evening when it irst starts getting cool to two full wheelbarrows of good stuff on real cold days burning hard around the clock. One wheelbarrow full is really around an average though, around 4-5 cord a year. Half of that is lesser species and whatnot medium not so great wood. It doesn't get real cold here, down in the teens is a january day, but the heating season is as long as up north because of the old cabin and how leaky it is with no wall insulation and just a partial token of some thin rolled insulation in the attic.

I'll insulate and add some storm windows once I know for sure I get to own the place, until then, meh, I get the wood for free and use my boss's tractor and diesel to go get it.

Keep 'em coming....interesting swing from house to house/stove to stove/wood type etc. Last year I was heating an un-insulated shop and the wheelbarrow a day was pretty much spot on. I still need to insulate the 2 exposed basement walls(those not under ground) and plan on that in a week or 2.

I figure we all are burning crap wood early on and will switch to good hardwood in about a month or so, so the volume should stay about the same. We are shooting for an average here as it sure ain't an exact science.

Oh, and my new best friend:
Northern Industrial Log Cart — 220-Lb. Capacity | Wood Storage| Northern Tool + Equipment

I ordered it when I ordered the wood splitter. Makes getting the wood inside a real treat:givebeer:

In the past, with my old stove, I was burning somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 cubic feet per day. Never less than 2-3 in the shoulder season. This was an old VC Defiant. It worked out to about 8 cords a year over three years. This is the first year with the new Englander 30-NC and I'm hoping it cuts my wood usage in half and I would be satisfied if it was even reduced by a third. So far it is looking good. I burned less than 40cf in October. It has consistently been in the upper 30s this week and I burned less than 3cf per day keeping a low fire going 24/7.

Oh yeah, heating 2200sf drafty old farmhouse with inadequate insulation.

Last edited:
Back