When do you quit throwing money at a 660??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got our 660 back from Baileys and started the saw and idled great and sounded good at half throttle when the saw arrived. Fast forward two weeks and had a final cut on a stump. Whipped out the old 660 and ready to see it rock and roll and just started to cut. Did not even get in to the stump two inches and say bogged down and died. Started saw and still would not cut. Chain is sharp and is not binding on the bar. Took the 660 to a dealer and he checked fuel settings, pressured and vacumed checked and found the decompression valve leaked when wiggled. Changed out the valve and still have the same problem when saw gets into the wood. Paid him for four hours of work and he is puzzled. He thinks that it could be the coil but hates to put one on it just as a guess. Any other ideas? We have spent almost spent twice the amount on the saw than when we bought it. When does one cut his losses and moves on.

Got our 660 back from Baileys and started the saw and idled great and sounded good at half throttle when the saw arrived. Fast forward two weeks and had a final cut on a stump. Whipped out the old 660 and ready to see it rock and roll and just started to cut. Did not even get in to the stump two inches and say bogged down and died. Started saw and still would not cut. Chain is sharp and is not binding on the bar. Took the 660 to a dealer and he checked fuel settings, pressured and vacumed checked and found the decompression valve leaked when wiggled. Changed out the valve and still have the same problem when saw gets into the wood. Paid him for four hours of work and he is puzzled. He thinks that it could be the coil but hates to put one on it just as a guess. Any other ideas? We have spent almost spent twice the amount on the saw than when we bought it. When does one cut his losses and moves on.

Take the plug out when it dies and then check for spark should be blue not weak yellow.Also open gas cap up when this happens to see if vapor locked maybe tank vent is clogged but sounds like coil .

Take the plug out when it dies and then check for spark should be blue not weak yellow.Also open gas cap up when this happens to see if vapor locked maybe tank vent is clogged but sounds like coil .

^

I can imagine your'e frustration. Unfortunately it is obviously accidently overlooke'd, and thing's get misse'd. Even by the best shop's. I would send it back, they will make it right. Don't start in on it youreself. It could create further problem's. Send it back they will make it right.:msp_thumbup: Awesome saw, don't give up. I have been there before. It will get sorted out.

To check spark safely and quickly, Lisle makes an inline spark tester. Pull plug cable, connect one end of tester to plug and other end to plug cable. Run saw and watch the tester for indications of spark quality.

Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester. Maybe you can borrow such a tester; got mine via Amazon for ~$14.

Higher chamber pressure requires higher voltage to jump the gap.

that's why every saw that i work on gets ran in some wood before it goes. a lott of shops just bench run a saw and don't catch a problem like that. i always have a big round of wood right out the shop door just for tuning and diog. and to the op's question . is't a machine , not a magical tool. so yes fix it. if you don't . send it to me i'll take it of your hands.

Last edited:
that's why every saw that i work on gets ran in some wood before it goes. a lott of shops just bench run a saw and don't catch a problem like that. i always have a big round of wood right out the shop door just for tuning and diog. and to the op's question . is't a machine , not a magical tool. so yes fix it. if you don't . send it to me i'll take it of your hands.

Thanks for everyone reply on checking out the spark. Have not done that. Will call the shop and have them to do it.
yep that is the reason we took a good log with us is to make sure. Any other ideas we can check? It just seems that if it would start it should cut. Any truth to that there is a circuit board in the coil?

just started to cut. Did not even get in to the stump two inches and say bogged down and died. Started saw and still would not cut.
Could be a number of things but my first guess is that it's starving for fuel.

-- Leak test the fuel line

-- check or replace fuel filter

-- rebuild carb, or at least clean the carb inlet screen

Like I said would have sent it back to Bailey's because they have a great rep, and will make it right. Also they know what they did, and what was done. For all of us it is a guessing game. Go back to them they will get it right for you, because even the best have thing's that comeback. It is not alway's a one time simple fix.:rock:

??? Can you provide resource?

For what? If re my simple statement relating firing voltage to chamber pressure, you could DAGS on ["spark plug" "firing voltage"] and skim your hits.

Experience of a few years as a professional diagnostic mechanic made that observation inescapable.

What is germane to OP is that running at idle or no load doesn't require firing voltage of running under load. And that the tester I mentioned will make it easy to detect misfires, and rule in/out ignition module(s).

For what? If re my simple statement relating firing voltage to chamber pressure, you could DAGS on ["spark plug" "firing voltage"] and skim your hits.

Sorry...I must have struck a nerve.

Experience of a few years as a professional diagnostic mechanic made that observation inescapable.

If you can't provide a reliable resource for your claim..just say so.

Breakdown voltage is proportional to the density of the air between the plug electrodes. Density of the air is proportional to compression ratio. Connect the dots.

Google it if you don't want to believe us, you should be able to find a 'reliable' resource in cyberspace.

??? Can you provide resource?

What is germane to OP is that running at idle or no load doesn't require firing voltage of running under load. And that the tester I mentioned will make it easy to detect misfires, and rule in/out ignition module(s).

Breakdown voltage is proportional to the density of the air between the plug electrodes. Density of the air is proportional to compression ratio. Connect the dots.

Google it if you don't want to believe us, you should be able to find a 'reliable' resource in cyberspace.

Plug firing voltage

The level of plug firing voltage depends on many factors, such as:

The mixture density
Turbulence
The pressure in the cylinder
The spark plug gap
The condition of the spark plug electrodes
The resistance of the secondary circuit

I am a ASE Master Certified automotive mechanic and can tell you that higher compression requires a hotter spark.

was , a'm still a cmt. did it for 20 years. got into it after an accedent didn't lett me to work in the bush anymore. still keep it curant . just got burnt out. now i get to work out side were i like it. oh yea, it's amazing how nice things will run till you put a load on them.

Last edited:

Plug firing voltage

The level of plug firing voltage depends on many factors, such as:

The mixture density
Turbulence
The pressure in the cylinder
The spark plug gap
The condition of the spark plug electrodes
The resistance of the secondary circuit

I am a ASE Master Certified automotive mechanic and can tell you that higher compression requires a hotter spark.

LOL. Thats what I call getting schooled.

Why call someone out for a statement when you don't even know whether it's true. :dizzy:

I love when that happens.:msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back