When is the best time of year to remove "LIVE" limbs from a maple tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwholey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When is the best time of year to remove "LIVE" limbs from a maple tree? I live in the North East... New York to be exact.

I like to wait until after leaf out(later spring here in VA). Maple's have a heavy sap flow when pruned in early spring. Although this does not "hurt" the tree it does make people nervous. They think the tree will "bleed" to death.

To add to Jays "leaf out" statement; wait a few weeks after the leaves are full sized. This will allow the tree to replenish the reserves expended in pushing out the new growth.

Lopping off a number of low branches is not always the best thing for a tree either. Reducing their size may be better.

Here is a search on proper pruning.

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=proper+pruning&geo=no&fs=web

Thanks for the info... Actually, I'm pruning higher branhes to let some sun into the yard (too much shade/moss). Any suggestions? thx.

Please be carful on the amount you prune off. Remember you can always take a branch off next year if you have any doubt. I don't like taking any more than a quarter of the canopy if I really need to clean up a structurally poor tree.

Thanks for the info... Actually, I'm pruning higher branhes to let some sun into the yard (too much shade/moss). Any suggestions? thx.

I live in Stony Point, New York... the garden spot of New York... ha ha ha

Back