When the chips stop flying...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robedic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I only have one saw, a 335. I bought it for trimming and I have taken it up a tree several times. Okay, I know I need to buy a bigger saw when I can afford it, but for now, I occasionally use it on some big wood (20 inches is very big wood for this saw). If I apply pressure, the saw boggs down. If I don't apply pressure and keep the chain speed up, I hit a point where the chips stop and I start seeing smoke from the cut. Anyone know what's going on here? The only solution I have found it to rotate the saw to another angle in the cut and then the smoke stops and I get chips again. Is this normal? Is this the correct procedure for cutting wood bigger than your bar?

Of course you need to find the right amount of pressure to apply, the happy medium between bogging your saw and producing the most chips you can, but it sounds as if your depth gauges need to be lowered or your top plate angle increased. Russ

Not normal at all. By" rotate the saw to a different angle" do you mean pivoting the bar so that the tip is not the portion trying to cut? Or do you mean that the bar is in a bind and you torque the bar sideways? Are you running SAFETY CHAIN? Safety chain does not work well for buried or boring cuts-some styles won't work at all.

By "rotate the bar to another angle" I mean going around the log a bit, not torquing sideways. My bar, chain and sprocket are in good condition and pretty sharp. I don't think I've sharpened it enough to need raker adjustment. I am using safety chain on this bar. I hadn't thought of that as a possible cause. Thanks for your replies.

Well, you guys were right about the safety chain. I put a non-safety chain on and the chips kept flying. Thanks for your replies!

Taking the safety chain off my 009 was one of the best things I ever did for it. The other things that helped include removing the plugged up spark arrestor screen and going to the opti 2 oil. The little saw actually runs and cuts now. Works well when clearing vine maple and such. I had been so disgusted with it at one point, that I almost put it on e-bay.

I've pulled the spark arrester and never found mine plugged, but what is the opti 2 oil?

Back