When the OEM piston kits dryup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I heard the husky saw guys talking on you tube. One said I believe he had seven of eight oem piston kits in the shop left. What are we going to use as oem replacement piston kits when the oem stuff dries up? Do you stock oem parts for the saws you like.?
I’m thinking about refreshing the saws that need it and they should out live my sons lifetime.
How much in parts should we stock up on. Just my thoughts.

For the average person, I think one cylinder and piston for any saw is plenty.
After putting it on it should give many years of service, the bottom end would
be quite worn by then, if am right, then seal bearings and a skilled take down
and build up would be required, at that stage many will not have the skills or time
and a new saw would be in order.
I wouldnt go more than this for myself, parts soon add up in price, a spare carb
air filter cylinder piston rod bearing costs quite a bit in OEM format, then theres
other things that could render this stash useless, theft, stripped casing / bar studs,
saw falling or something falling on it, all reasons against keeping a big stash,
and great excuse for a new saw.

Then there’s the AT MT parts, that may not store too well, information on their
memories may take a hit and you could end up with a nutball that is in a different
mood every day, or in no mood at all.

For the saws I currently run for real work I have squirreled away enough parts to rebuild them many times over. Since I now don`t run them full time they will outlast me as I rotate in and out the 45 or so saws I use for semi serious wood cutting, no fears here of not having a working saw.

For the saws I currently run for real work I have squirreled away enough parts to rebuild them many times over. Since I now don`t run them full time they will outlast me as I rotate in and out the 45 or so saws I use for semi serious wood cutting, no fears here of not having a working saw.
That’s a job on its own, keeping that amount of carbs cleaned would drive me insane.

I heard the husky saw guys talking on you tube. One said I believe he had seven of eight oem piston kits in the shop left. What are we going to use as oem replacement piston kits when the oem stuff dries up? Do you stock oem parts for the saws you like.?
I’m thinking about refreshing the saws that need it and they should out live my sons lifetime.
How much in parts should we stock up on. Just my thoughts.
I have 7 nos 044 , and 6 024s cylinders ,if anyone needs them
got em with a parts lot.

That’s a job on its own, keeping that amount of carbs cleaned would drive me insane.
Why do you need to clean them? I don`t.
Meant service the carbs, I find the diaphragms go hard over time, that small
layers of for the want of a better word like oxidation build up in the carb,
and when you go to run the saw this manifest itself in poor iradic running.

Ive seen tests where carbs were drained, carbs were left with fuel in them
and neither were good when left for long periods of in use, oddly our old
stihl could lay up and always started with old fuel, never failed in 40 year’s,
the fuels we get now must have a part to play.

Someone will be happy to get their hands on those, have you advertised them on the site.
No ,But they are the newer version D chamber with decomp
they are marked "Stihl" .They come in the oem box with the circlips
and piston pin .The 024 supers are either K/S or mahle they are complete
P&C kits as are the 044 cyls I would like 150,00 for the 044s, and 125 for the 024s
they will bolt on an 026 case Thanks Keith

Meant service the carbs, I find the diaphragms go hard over time, that small
layers of for the want of a better word like oxidation build up in the carb,
and when you go to run the saw this manifest itself in poor iradic running.

Ive seen tests where carbs were drained, carbs were left with fuel in them
and neither were good when left for long periods of in use, oddly our old
stihl could lay up and always started with old fuel, never failed in 40 year’s,
the fuels we get now must have a part to play.

Not mine.

Soon I’ll start draining my running saws with 38:1 husky mix with seafoam in them. This is before they go to sleep. This will eliminate any future carb problems. I just checked out a 181se that has plenty of compression and found out after sitting for years the carb needs cleaning, I replaced the off switch and ground wire she’s perfect once the carb is cleaned. The main problem is the carbs need cleaning, if the later saw has the boot and clamp setup then I change over to the newer clamp/ boot.

Then you’ll have the option if moving on to a more modern saw or going aftermarket. You may not like it, and I may not either, but things eventually enter obsolescence. You’ll either adapt or just have to come full stop. Stihl’s 1128 series has been my bread and butter for a long time and it’s out of production. I don’t have a good Husqvarna dealer locally, and I don’t have many large mount Husqvarna bars or adapter plates around to put on an all orange saw. So I’ll have to get with the program. Maybe you’ll have to at some point.

I have a good local Husqvarna dealer. I think he just bought out another dealer too. I need to set up an account with him. It sucks being quarantined.

I pulled out a Partner 5000 last Friday that has not been started or run in 14 years, fueled it up and it started in 3 pulls over, cut up more than a cord of firewood with it, runs perfect as does my 1945 Titan that has never had a carb kit or cleaning ever.
I hope I have similar experiences, the older stuff seems way more immune to carb issues,
our old 041 Stihl lay for a decade, then started, makes me wonder why the new stuff is
so fussy, I dread to see neighbours coming with their small engines that won’t start.

I hope I have similar experiences, the older stuff seems way more immune to carb issues,
our old 041 Stihl lay for a decade, then started, makes me wonder why the new stuff is
so fussy, I dread to see neighbours coming with their small engines that won’t start.
There is a lot to how a saw is stored, my first saw was a 1958 Pioneer600, it is all original and never been apart, it still runs today as it did when new. I have a lot of saws that are for show, not work, they range from 1945 through the 50`s, 60`s, 70`s on up to 1985. They will all run very well, some don`t get started for 15 - 20 years but start up they will. I have done so many carb kits for others that don`t store their saws properly. I buy carb rebuild kits in bulk, sometimes 50 kits or more at a time, there are so many carbs these days and yes they are getting more finicky all the time.

Latest posts

Back