When to be most on guard with your saw? Newbie question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the good information and reminders. Since I use my saw mainly in one environment (my backyard), it was good to think about the danger of cutting storm damage or working tired, for instance. In my backyard, I can cut one tankful and put it up. I could see wanting to push myself to finish a job on site. Great advice!

I think my biggest thing to work on is making sure All of me is out of the blade's plane and getting the right safety gear.

Thanks again y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chain brake should be on before starting saw and not released till yr at the tree/log ready to cut. also moving around or repositioning brake should be on.
basically brake is on at all times besides when u want to cut.

Forgot to say that I usually wear a white athletic type sweat band, but I drench it pretty fast. I'm cutting in 90+ degrees and variable humidity, so that's expected. I need to get more sweatbands and stop to change or wring out when needed. I really suck at starting the saw the 2nd time, so I realize I try not to kill it if at all possible. I'm seeing that as a risk factor right about now.

Hi Marcy:

I sense a healthy bit of fear in your posts. You will over come the fear and achieve respect for what your saw can achieve - and the harm it can do.

All I can contribute is to suggest you re-read CT's earlier itemized post - but do so with the idea of thinking "how do these tactics reduce my fear and deepen my respect for my saw."

Whitespiders very concrete advice about not wanting to be able to read the lettering on your bar is one of the finest things I've read inside of this forum. (Though I've personally violated this in the slash multiple times this month, I am cognizant of the risks)

To recap - fear is usually irrational and can cause harm. Respect acknowledges risk and reward and the proper prep needed to not get hurt. You seem well on the way to being an effective and respectful saw operator.

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy the heat.

Forgot to say that I usually wear a white athletic type sweat band, but I drench it pretty fast. I'm cutting in 90+ degrees and variable humidity, so that's expected. I need to get more sweatbands and stop to change or wring out when needed. I really suck at starting the saw the 2nd time, so I realize I try not to kill it if at all possible. I'm seeing that as a risk factor right about now.

I give you a lot of credit for being humble enough to ask for advice. The other guys have made it clear what you should do. I'd encourage you to not start the saw again until you have all the protective gear -- chaps, helmet, eye protection -- you need. Sh*t happens when saws are being used. Even very experienced, very skilled guys run into bad situations. You owe it to those kids and your dog to do everything possible to protect yourself. Also, I respect you for starting to recognize your personal risk factors. If the saw isn't starting right, the problem is with the saw and you would want someone to look at it. And, I know that when it's hot and humid I have a tendency to want to skip safety steps or work beyond my ability to think 100% clearly. I've been trying to discipline myself to work more intelligently and stay hydrated.
A buddy of mine is an er doc at a local hospital and he has described for me how horrific are even "minor" chainsaw cuts. You can see some pics on the internet. None of us want to be one of those guys.

chain brake should be on before starting saw and not released till yr at the tree/log ready to cut. also moving around or repositioning brake should be on.
basically brake is on at all times besides when u want to cut.
Yeah mine's broke. Unfortunately can't fix it right now, but it's on the list. I'm definitely looking forward to using it once it's fixed. In the meantime I have to be hyper aware at all times. Great advice! Thanks

I sense a healthy bit of fear in your posts. You will over come the fear and achieve respect for what your saw can achieve - and the harm it can do

Interesting post. :) I am going for that healthy respect position, and I guess i look at it like a sliding scale with fear on one end and respect on the other. This kind of fear has a big indicator - being frozen, unable to act. So I'm good with my progress so far since I've cut nearly 3 cords since May. I know that's a drop in the bucket to most of y'all, but I'm pretty happy with that number. I really appreciate the feedback and your post was great for getting me thinking about not being afraid of the saw vs respect. Cheers!

I'd encourage you to not start the saw again until you have all the protective gear -- chaps, helmet, eye protection -- you need. .
I wish I could. I don't even know if they have chaps that will fit women's legs. I've been meaning to go to my local dealer and give them another chance, but that wouldn't be an easy thing to discuss with them. Gonna have to bite the bullet and just do it. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Yeah mine's broke. Unfortunately can't fix it right now, but it's on the list. I'm definitely looking forward to using it once it's fixed. In the meantime I have to be hyper aware at all times. Great advice! Thanks

IMHO, the bit about setting the chain brake before cranking comes from the lawyers- a great way to heat up clutches.

Again IMHO, just don't fire up until ready to cut. (From cold, it's a good idea to give the engine 20-30 sec. warm-up.) As I too have discovered, it is a really good idea to set the brake to bring the chain instantly to a stop, to avoid injuries.

Some of us have the scars to show how saw chain can cut flesh even when not moving. :( I love scabbards. :D

Again IMHO, just don't fire up until ready to cut. (From cold, it's a good idea to give the engine 20-30 sec. warm-up.) As I too have discovered, it is a really good idea to set the brake to bring the chain instantly to a stop, to avoid injuries.

Some of us have the scars to show how saw chain can cut flesh even when not moving. :( I love scabbards. :D

I wondered about that. I've been counting to 10, but I'll double or triple it. I've got a scabbard for the electric. I'll see if it'll fit on the Mac. Thanks!

Excellent advice for saw operation here. Not much I can add to that. :)

I can, however mention some tips and things to be aware of while you're out there cutting, some of which I've experienced:

Limbs can ~ and often do unexpected things when they're cut. Better to limb by starting close to the brush end and working back to the main stem. Move brush and small rounds out of your road as you work. The last thing you want to happen is to stumble over something while carrying a saw. If a limb is under tension, remedy this with a row of small relief cuts first.

Logs can roll even on level ground. I've had a log roll over my foot while bucking. Was wearing safety shoes but they didn't prevent the log from rolling. It pushed my foot into the mud and held it fast. Couldn't even pull my foot out of the shoe. It was good fortune my little cant hook was within reach at the time.

Felling trees is an art. Start with established good felling practice on small trees and work your way to larger ones as you get comfortable with it. When possible, try to drop the tree where it will be easy to work up and get your rounds out. Sometimes ya got no choice... but if given the choice I'd rather not have to clear a jungle of springpoles and underbrush.

Be aware of widowmakers. Broken tops lodged in trees and rotten limbs; more than one has lived up to the name. Even a small branch will be moving at around 40 MPH or so by the time it hits the ground. If it lands on your head it could gore you like a shish kebab.

If you hang a tree ~ it falls into an adjacent tree and lodges there, never, EVER attempt to free it by cutting down the supporting tree. That's a suicide mission.

Please, wear gloves while chain sharpening. They don't have to be heavy gloves, they just need to protect your hands from cuts.

I wondered about that. I've been counting to 10, but I'll double or triple it. I've got a scabbard for the electric. I'll see if it'll fit on the Mac. Thanks!

Ya, chainbrake on starting makes it safer, but saws are designed to hit high idle instantly on starting, starting from cold. I, too< think it will lead to goobering up clutches and who knows what else.

What you learned about staying out of the plane is safer than all the chainbrakes*** out there I think.

They make cutting pants as well as chaps, I use the husky pants. I figure I am going to go cut wood, I am going to wear pants no matter...I like them, good and comfortable, feels like plenty of kevlar in there, good pockets with zippers plus a thigh pocket, I stick some plastic wedges in that one.

**the other guys have heard this story but you haven't, it still cracks me up.
So, this is early 2000s, I am using a boss's at the time saw, some small stihl with a chainbrake. Note, I never ran a saw with a chainbrake before then, just some old school saws going back to 70. Just..never did it. My own, just like ten buck ancient junkers....

So, something tripped the brake and yep, chain stopped. Freaked me out! I shut it off, then restarted, and it wouldn't cut!!! OMG!!!!! Chain was just locked up!!! Really freaked now, thought I had broken the saw. Took it to the shop right then, had to drive into town like 16 miles, guy started laughin his...everything... off, flick, unlocked it. MAN DID I FEEL TARDED! I thought it was a fancy knuckle guard..... no one tells me nuffin'

I'll echo being tired is one of the most dangerous times. A second is just walking around while limbing. It is easy to trip or for the saw to snag on brush. No chain brake, no problem, some of my saws are older ones without a chain brake. Keep 2 hands on the saw & turn saw off when walking any distance or navigating tricky areas. Saws should be easy to start back up.

I'll echo being tired is one of the most dangerous times. A second is just walking around while limbing. It is easy to trip or for the saw to snag on brush. No chain brake, no problem, some of my saws are older ones without a chain brake. Keep 2 hands on the saw & turn saw off when walking any distance or navigating tricky areas. Saws should be easy to start back up.

For real, especially walking around vines and such. Tell ya, I *really* like that feature with the battery saw, let go of trigger, it is OFF. No wasted idling, instant back to work, no yanking, no danger of walking around with a running saw. I am going to get another one when they have one that can cut like...I'll be happy with around a 50 cc stock homeowner saw today. Something that will pull a 20, about that strong.

I wish I could. I don't even know if they have chaps that will fit women's legs. I've been meaning to go to my local dealer and give them another chance, but that wouldn't be an easy thing to discuss with them. Gonna have to bite the bullet and just do it. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcy-M, just call Bailey's and talk to them. http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety...Clothing/?page_no=1&fq=8032_1_category:969317

Or better yet, call Labonville and talk to them. Get all the info for what size fits you, maybe a product number, then price shop their dealers, like Bailey's. http://www.labonville.com/Safety-Clothing-Gear_c_65.html

I have their full wrap chaps and will even use 'em if I'm wearing shorts when it's hot out.

I wish I could. I don't even know if they have chaps that will fit women's legs. I've been meaning to go to my local dealer and give them another chance, but that wouldn't be an easy thing to discuss with them. Gonna have to bite the bullet and just do it. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

OMG you're a woman?! I totally thought Marcy was one of those weird Australian dude names! Like Matt, or Susan.

You can also buy "chainsaw pants" if chap fitment is a problem. Check out Baileys online if the chainsaw shop boys are less than helpful

Good advice so far. Plus infinity on quit when you are tired, and get good safety gear.

Typical ER visit for chainsaw injury around here averages about $2500, not including followup appointments. Full suite of good gear should come in under $500.

I wear glasses under my Husqy helmet with face shield, no fogging issues.

Also, maybe google up 'OSHA chainsaw injuries'. They got a jpg with red dots distributed over the outline of a human showing where injuries occur most often. Not at all gory, but it will curl your toes.

Chain brakes are not a fail safe, but I'd want yours working. Depending on where you live, there may be a saw savvy member who'd be willing to fix u'r chain brake living near you (somewhat scary thought). If you are near Houston and could be without the saw for a few days I could fix that.

Actually, I've got bunches of saws, I'd just lend you one of mine while I fixed yours

Back