When to be most on guard with your saw? Newbie question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great advice y'all!

I wear eye protection, but I sweat so much they fog up. That can get a little dangerous, too. i'm going to try some car wax or some mesh glasses if the wax doesn't work. No hard hat/ shield or chaps, but they're on the list.

I've been cutting for many years, and cringe when I remember some of the foolhardy things I did back in the 80's with chainsaws when I was a newbie. I didn't know any better and didn't have good access to information. The internet is a wonderful tool for finding that information nowadays. I've been using chaps, heavy boots and gloves, ear muffs, etc. for the last 20 years or so. But I always resisted getting one of those dorky looking orange helmets with the mesh screen and the muiffs. I figured glasses were enough and since I mostly cut trees that were already on the ground, why wear a helmet? I was uncomfortable enough as it was with all the other gear, especially in the heat. Last year I was cutting up a downed tree and a small branch came in from nowhere and scratched my eye so bad that I could hardly see out of it for the rest of the day. It was constantly making tears and it hurt. I was really scared for a while that I had done some real damage to my eye. The next day, it still hurt but my vision had cleared completely. I was very lucky, eyes aren't replaceable, you can't get eye transplants. So I went down to the saw shop and purchased one of those helmets. That mesh screen would have completely prevented my eye injury. If you do this work long enough, without proper protection, you will get hurt someday. It just ain't worth it. Go buy a helmet with a screen, you'll be glad you did. It will cost much less than a trip to an eye doctor.

Go down to the dollar store and get yourself a bandana and fold it in half to make a triangle. Now fold it over and over in a 1-2" strip on the longest edge towards the corner to make a sweat band that you can tie around your forehead.

I make my sweat bands out of old t-shirts. I cut a strip off the bottom of the shirt, maybe 2 inches wide. That gives me a long, circular loop of fabric that I double up and wear it on my head. If it is still too loose after being doubled, I just tie knots in it until it narrows down to the size that fits.

Back