When to retire chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a general rule I don't think they should keep stretching. Initially on a new chain maybe, but if it keeps stretching maybe you aren't adjusting it right?

I don't retire chains because of stretch. If a chain stretches enough I run out of adjustment on the tensioner, I remove a drive link, and use it untill the teeth are gone.:chainsaw:

Andy

Matching a few new chains to a new sprocket, and letting them stay matched, the sprocket will match the stretch/wear. Near perfect would be one sprocket to 4 chains, (just a start point rule of thumb) as for myself, something always seems to happen before there all wore out at the same time.

There is a wear limit mark on some Stihl chains, it's way back over the rear rivet.

I generally retire them permenantly when the cutters get to around 1/8ths from the back of the top angle, I have a real beauty kicking around here somewhere a buddy brought on his saw that looks like teeth on a comb,:bang: sheesh, nothing like havin those snapping off and flying around (he wondered why it wouldn't cut properly lol, considering the teeth were now narrower than the bar I'm surprised it cut at all). :hmm3grin2orange:
btw shoerfast I like those wear/angle marks, good for refference if you have to do a quick touch-up on the fly without a guide.

I retire a chain when Iaccidentally overheat it, or when the teeth get warn back to a nub....:hmm3grin2orange:

Ive got a chain I use on my little XXV that I use to cut things that shouldnt normally be cut..such as pool liners, wood with nails in it...etc etc..the teeth arent really teeth anymore, they look more like little spikes..but it works.

I retire a chain when the adjuster wont tighten it anymore, or theres nothing left of the teeth to sharpen.

Dan Forsh said:
As a general rule I don't think they should keep stretching. Initially on a new chain maybe, but if it keeps stretching maybe you aren't adjusting it right?

I'm thinking that maybe the oiler wasn't set right from the factory. If the old rule of thumb that you should go thru one tank of oil for every tank of gas still holds true, that might be my problem. I was running about a tank of oil for every 1.5 to 2 tanks of gas. I turned the oiler up a bit. We'll see how it works the next time I get out.

Ian

Latest posts

Back