This Is Why I Sharpen My Own Chains!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the greatest job, too much hook, and looks pretty inconsistent as ti where he held his file, but if they cut. 🤷‍♂️ wonder if he was even using the right sized file, some of the cutters look like it was too small a file the way he's dug into near the gullet area.

I'm sure we've all seen far worse. Could be better yes, but I know people who could have screwed it up much worse. If the corners look good, that's what matters most, and as far as depth drags go, that's totally dependent on species and powerhead size, none of which you mentioned. 70 cc in Cedar isn't 50 cc in Hard Maple.

Not the greatest job, too much hook, and looks pretty inconsistent as ti where he held his file, but if they cut. 🤷‍♂️ wonder if he was even using the right sized file, some of the cutters look like it was too small a file the way he's dug into near the gullet area.
So when you say too much hook. It is too grooved out? So probably too small if a file sharpening it?

So when you say too much hook. It is too grooved out? So probably too small if a file sharpening it?
The grinding edge of the wheel should have a round profile to it. Just like a file. It’s pretty good advice if you only sharpen with that rounded portion of the wheel. If you go too deep, you are grinding with the side of the wheel, as in the OP’s pics. When you do that, it leaves the angled J shape I referred to earlier, rather than a C or ( shape

That’s what you get when someone doesn’t know how to run a grinder. The ol’ angled J.
Just like a file, a grinder shouldn’t hit everything from the top of the tooth to the tie strap in a single pass
Never even thought it could have been a grinder, but yeah that would make perfect sense.

Those chains on an 066 would absolutely rip softwood species of wood to pieces. If the powerhead has the power a chain can be adjusted to the species of wood being harvested. Someone with the hours under their belt will sharpen a chain to suit both his powerhead and the species and size of wood he is dealing with and often that chain will not resemble a stock chain at all, and all manufacturers recommendations are thrown out the window.

Looks like they used the wrong wheel. Probably 3/8 Picco instead of .325/3/8
1/4”, 3/8p, and .325 use the same 1/8”wheel. 3/8 and .404 use a 3/16 wheel. Larger chain can be sharpened with thinner wheels if the guy knows what he’s doing. In this case, it’s the Indian, not the arrow

Those chains on an 066 would absolutely rip softwood species of wood to pieces. If the powerhead has the power a chain can be adjusted to the species of wood being harvested. Someone with the hours under their belt will sharpen a chain to suit both his powerhead and the species and size of wood he is dealing with and often that chain will not resemble a stock chain at all, and all manufacturers recommendations are thrown out the window.
Can’t tell if you’re yelling or if you accidentally got the black paint all over your fingers again 🙄😁

Latest posts

Back