When XL2 dies then which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was given a used Homelite XL2 this fall, and other than the bar oil getting into the crankcase when the saw is in a awkward position, it performs well.

Question is, what would be a nice replacement, when it dies?

General cutting demands are about 10 cords/yr, and have alot of small stuff to take care of, 3acres worth.

If there's a thread for this then please let me know, and I'll start reading.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I'm not really familiar with the Homelite XL2. My dad has a Homelite Super XL. My mom bought it brand new for him back in the mid '70's I believe. If your XL2 is like my dad's Super XL a Husqvarna 353 or Jonsered 2152 with a 16 inch bar and chain might be just the ticket!

For 10 cords (if they are full cords), probably Stihl MS361....:clap: :clap:

If money is an issue, maybe Husky 359.

If the wood is small, 353.

wdchuck said:
Another top handle is what I mean.

Tophandles for firewood are just silly and dangerous....:bang: :bang:

Last edited:
What about Stihl 192t, or 200t, or other brand of Top Handle saw, used is fine too.

My sig shows the herd as it stands, pretty complete, but I know less than little about the top handle saws.

What would be considered an upgrade from the Homelite in quality, less vibe, weight, power.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
Homelite XL2 Auto
WildThing
Mac 10-10 manual
028WB
MS460Mag

MS360Pro(graveyard)

Wdchuck, how and why is it that the newest saw in your fleet is in the graveyard. It is a sad & funny thing to see a wild thing and a mac 10-10 in a signature line as active and a 360pro in the boneyard.

Back to the question, I don't like a top handle for the ground either, those saws were designed to be used in a tree. I have an old homelite super 2 with a dual trigger, great little runner, and a cool gimmick when they came out. As for a replacement for it hard to say, most of the modern top handles are very expensive and only worth the money if you plan on climbing with them. I would look at a rear handle replacement when the time comes. If you are insisting on a top handle the stihl 192t is a great saw for the $$$, less power than the ms200t and 1/2 the cost, and it will be much improvement over the old homelite.

Why wait 'til it dies? Kill the b!tch! If you are dead set on a small powerful saw get the rear handle version of the ms-200. I am a saw dealer (other brands) and will say that no-one but Stihl packs so much power is such a small package. I have lost a few sales because I wouldn't sell top handle saws to guys using them on the ground.

Yes, quite nice but I should have been a little more specific about the REAR HANDLE. I think we can now give a top handle 200 a run for the money.

Dadatwins said:
Homelite XL2 Auto
WildThing
Mac 10-10 manual
028WB
MS460Mag

MS360Pro(graveyard)

Wdchuck, how and why is it that the newest saw in your fleet is in the graveyard. It is a sad & funny thing to see a wild thing and a mac 10-10 in a signature line as active and a 360pro in the boneyard.
The WT was my first ever chainsaw and we were getting along very ill indeed, the Mac I didn't know how to start at the time, so the 360 was my first real nice saw.

The tale of woe:
Well, ya see I was helping someone clean up a 52" burr oak after a tornado, and they rented a saw, it came with this nice little box with a wrench, can of gas and bar oil. There were many shorts and tshirt family members, and the guy running the saw was a bit too old and unstable to be doing such hard work, and saws make terrible rototillers. So I find the landowner and offer a deal, I cut everything up, they manhandle the brushy stuff, and I get everything that's over 6"dia, they were glad to have the help. I suit up and look at the rented saw, chain hanging, out of oil, so I set it up again and sharpen up the chain for them, then I cut with mine for a tank, take a break, it was 90*, my mix can was insufficient to refill, so top off with the rental fuel tank.

The end is near, next time I use my saw it won't fire, I break it down, clean it, check all that I know, nothin. Call the dealer, he says look at the piston, yep galled/scored bad.

My saw corral had the Mac, WT, and the 360(<12mo old), so off I went to trade in for another, received $200 in trade value, the 460 cost me $450, and they threw in some freebees.

Regarding the Homey, I like the little saw, 12" bar, gives my arms a break for some really putzy small stuff I need to do, but my gut says it's lifetime may not be that long, so I want to know what to keep my eyes open for, a new clearance/demo or some good deals at auction, garage sale, where I can check it out in person if possible, that's were you guys come in, the voice of experience.

And, I put a hat/screen/muff setup on my short list for Christmas, I'm looking forward to some orange with my red and green this year.

Last edited:
sedanman said:
.... If you are dead set on a small powerful saw get the rear handle version of the ms-200. I am a saw dealer (other brands) and will say that no-one but Stihl packs so much power is such a small package. ....
How about the husky 339xp?:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll said:
How about the husky 339xp?:greenchainsaw:

My herd will look like a roll of lifesavers if I keep this 'one of ' trend.

Will the 192 suit the needs, lets say for example, there was enough 1"-3"x 10' hardwood poles to make 20 cords, all that cut into 12" lengths for kindling, how much life would the saw have left in it, using this as a gauge?

3X, 10x more than this?

Back