When's the last time the oil/gas man delivered to your tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparkguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Amazing how quick one can become obsessed with Arbor Site! I have found I have OCD and a fetish when it comes to processing firewood. All logs must be 22" long, straight, split perfectly and stacked precisely. Many look at my wood storage system and ask if I have OCD. Yes, in regards to my wood and no with everything else in life. They'll never understand. We heat our 1800 sq. ft. house with a morso 3610 and have had the same oil in the tank for 6 years. How long have others gone without the tank being filled?

Our 500 gallon tank gets filled once a year, I will run the propane furnace for awhile in the spring and fall, also the stove is gas fired as well. I keep an eye on prices and get it filled when it's down.

Topped off the oil tank four years ago - still full ! I run the oil burner for five or ten minutes once a year to make sure it still works. If the OWB fails the oil burner will kick in at 50 degrees. Hot water tanks have electric back up. Breakers are turned off.

Filled the Propane tank last Fall. Still at 80%.

We run the water heater and stove/Oven on propane as well as the back up furnace.

I was thinking about how much I spent on the dadgum furnace the other day and it irked me pretty bad.
I dropped 9K for a uberhypermega efficient unit, and the stupid thing has only gone through a couple filters since 07' and that is mostly from running the AC in the summer, so we wasted all that $$$. For the amount of use the thing gets, we could have gotten a 70% efficient unit, spent the difference on even more insulation(If I could pack it in the attic somehow) and been money ahead.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm in Northeast Wisconsin. I have a 2002, 1200 sq ft manufactured home, and a 500 gallon leased LP tank. I use to use between 1500 to 2000 gallons of LP gas a year. Since installing my indoor high efficiency wood burner in 2006, my LP usage has gone way down. I now heat virtually exclusively with wood. I set the thermostat on my LP furnace to 45 degrees and it never kicks in. The below figures are from my LP gas company. Most of this LP is for cooking on my LP gas stove. My LP gas company "tops me off" once a year. I have an electric hot water heater. My electric bill averages $60 a month.

2011 159 gallons
2010 278 gallons
2009 264 gallons
2008 289 gallons

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
At least 4 years ago. It was when the gas prices went over $4.00. Unfortunately it was time to fill it so I had to bite the bullet and pay top dollar for oil. I checked it last fall and it was barely off the full mark.

Keeping fuel oil as long as mny of us do _is_ kinda risky, the stuff can go bad. I add some diesel preservative to my tank. Last time I bouth the counter mand said "It's kinda spenda". I replied "in relation to 300 gallons of fuel?". He laughed.

Harry K

Five years since propane tank fill, still completely full. I'm thinking of just adding a generator to a pad near it to run on propane, then it will get some intermittent use, our power goes out frequently being the last hookup on the string.

275 gallon tank, 65 year old oil burner...i get about 8 months per fillup. I only use the burner for hot water really (no seperate hot water heater). Can't really complain. This is married with two children too.

Oil man was here three years ago. Run it a couple times a year so the tank still shows a little over the full mark.

I got 15 months out of my last 200 gal. of L.P.. just bought another 200 gal; several weeks ago and hope to get better mileage out of this latest purchase. would like to put a heat exchanger on the h2o heater this summer to cheat the gas man out of heating my h20 during the winter.(my owb has a fire in it about 4 1/2 to 5 months a year)

I guess he's always there since we have a natural gas furnace. Haven't used it in 3 years but its there if we need it.

Back