Where are those good Stihl dealers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For sure not around here, I need a crank seal cluth side for a 025. Called 2 different dealer, niether one had one and if ordered it was a unbelievable $20 each. Ordered a aftermarket one off Ebay, 2 for under $7, hope they work. Steve

I don't know where they are. I have 4 stihl dealers within a 15 mile radius of me and none of them kept crank seals for my MS170, nor do they stock RSK chain. Nor a decent selection of felling wedges, nor.....etc, etc, etc......I could go on for days.

They have new saws though!!!!

I also ordered those ebuy seals, but I was afraid they wouldn't get to me soon enough, so I bought them from STIHL for $18. As soon as I got home the other seals were sitting in the mail. They were IDENTICAL in every way to the OEM seals.

You run into them on occasion. My "local" dealers aren't any better than the box stores. I have one 'go to' dealer more than an hour away, but worth the drive and a pleasure to do business with. I can get Stihl chain from him for about the same price as WP from Bailey's, and I don't mean that as a knock against Bailey's.

For sure not around here, I need a crank seal cluth side for a 025. Called 2 different dealer, niether one had one and if ordered it was a unbelievable $20 each. Ordered a aftermarket one off Ebay, 2 for under $7, hope they work. Steve

The Northwood seals for these saws work very well. One dealer I've dealt with keeps going up. On two occasions I've been charged different prices in the same month or so for the same part. Some of the prices are crazy outrageous...for instance $1.00 each for M5 fasteners -- really? :msp_w00t:

I needed buffers for an 056 which I thought would be impossible to get. Went to my local Stihl dealer to see if they could be ordered. He went back to the drawers, got them out and put them on the counter. Said, what else you need today.

I like that! Some of the old timers have the new old stock parts!

I personally have tried some of the early chinese seals and didn't care for them...they were extremely stiff.

I just picked up a 026 stihl seal and gasket set for $18 which I thought was fair (both seals, case gasket, etc). I think what you have around you is a low volume dealer and that isn't pinned on any particular manufacturer. A friend of mine got quoted 20 or 25 for an 8 pin 3/8th rim sprocket from his husky dealer today. There are good and bad dealers of every brand. I'm fortunate to have a couple really good dealers by me that sell stihl, husky, and jonsered. I have yet to find a good parts/servicing echo or dolmar dealer though .

i am not easily impressed when it comes to stealers. it is rediculous how all the ones i know tell their costomers that their saw is junk then they show up at my place and most of the time it is something thats so stupid it only takes minutes to fix. the thought of a stealer telling somebody their saw is junk when it really isn't will forever be burnt into my mind. husky, stihl or whatever brand they are all crooks in some way or another. i have a buddy who got his 268 worked on by a stealer just one town over from me when he had issues out in the woods and this stealer was the closest one. he told me exactly this " it still runs but it sounds like it has a plugged nose". hearing this i knew right away that it was the spark arrestor screen. he expected them to be able to fix it right away but he ended up coming home and a week later they called and told him the main bearings were shot and that he could give up the saw to avoid any costs for the checkup or pay $40 to get it back. i told him go get it back and we'll put these guys to the test. i know for a fact the saw was fixable because i sold the saw to him just after i rebuilt it completely. he went and picked up the saw for $40. it was completely in pieces in a box. i thought this is absolutely rediculous. they had everything except the cylinder removed from the case. even the magneto, coil and flywheel had been removed. i checked for crank play and the thing was solid. so i knew this saw had the spark arrestor inside the muffler and i was planning to remove it originally but had some troubles splitting the 2 halfs of the muffler so i just left it. i managed to get the muffler split and sure enough that spark arrestor which is huge. the whole area inside the muffler. was plugged solid. you would think that an area that big would never plug but it did. removed the spark arrestor screen completely, installed muffler, and whammo she fired right up. for ####s and giggles we brought that saw back to the stealer a week later to show them and tell them it runs fine. they just said we have a mechanic in training. i said " you guys are such @#$%^&* idiots. why wouldn't you get a qualified mechanic to check it over". he turned beat red and me being a smart !@# said thats what i thought and walked out the door. that saw still runs good today and that was 4 years ago. for some reason that stealer always seems to have a tons of used parts in stock so i think this is where they get them. i do not trust any stealers who deal with any brand. i do all my own work unless there is warranty on the saw. it seems like every stealer i know of is out the screw the consumer. sorry for the long rant. i'm just really PO'd about it. i'm sure there are good stealers out there but i have yet to find one.

Because you had a bad experience at a dealer now every single dealer on the face of the earth is a lying stealing crook. :bang:

I'm sure there are some good dealers, haven't found any around here. Just had a go around with the local Chevy dealer who wanted to charge me over $500 for a repair the Chevy was fixing for free. Steve

I like my local dealer. Only one within 80-100 miles. The guys know their saws, are very fair & honest, and will do anything they can to keep you from spending money you don't want to spend. They get heavily involved in the local lumberjack competitions (chainsaw races) by sponsoring, judging, and coordinating some of the logistics. Good guys that build business by being good to folks.

i am not easily impressed when it comes to stealers. it is rediculous how all the ones i know tell their costomers that their saw is junk then they show up at my place and most of the time it is something thats so stupid it only takes minutes to fix. the thought of a stealer telling somebody their saw is junk when it really isn't will forever be burnt into my mind. husky, stihl or whatever brand they are all crooks in some way or another. i have a buddy who got his 268 worked on by a stealer just one town over from me when he had issues out in the woods and this stealer was the closest one. he told me exactly this " it still runs but it sounds like it has a plugged nose". hearing this i knew right away that it was the spark arrestor screen. he expected them to be able to fix it right away but he ended up coming home and a week later they called and told him the main bearings were shot and that he could give up the saw to avoid any costs for the checkup or pay $40 to get it back. i told him go get it back and we'll put these guys to the test. i know for a fact the saw was fixable because i sold the saw to him just after i rebuilt it completely. he went and picked up the saw for $40. it was completely in pieces in a box. i thought this is absolutely rediculous. they had everything except the cylinder removed from the case. even the magneto, coil and flywheel had been removed. i checked for crank play and the thing was solid. so i knew this saw had the spark arrestor inside the muffler and i was planning to remove it originally but had some troubles splitting the 2 halfs of the muffler so i just left it. i managed to get the muffler split and sure enough that spark arrestor which is huge. the whole area inside the muffler. was plugged solid. you would think that an area that big would never plug but it did. removed the spark arrestor screen completely, installed muffler, and whammo she fired right up. for ####s and giggles we brought that saw back to the stealer a week later to show them and tell them it runs fine. they just said we have a mechanic in training. i said " you guys are such @#$%^&* idiots. why wouldn't you get a qualified mechanic to check it over". he turned beat red and me being a smart !@# said thats what i thought and walked out the door. that saw still runs good today and that was 4 years ago. for some reason that stealer always seems to have a tons of used parts in stock so i think this is where they get them. i do not trust any stealers who deal with any brand. i do all my own work unless there is warranty on the saw. it seems like every stealer i know of is out the screw the consumer. sorry for the long rant. i'm just really PO'd about it. i'm sure there are good stealers out there but i have yet to find one.

Sounds like you will never find anyone that will be happy to see you walk in the door.

Automatic Saw Filing Co. Richmond, VA or Arthur's Electric Service Glen Allen, Va

Automatic Saw Filing Co. Richmond, VA or Arthur's Electric Service Glen Allen, Va both great dealers stock a ton of stuff both great ones very nice ppl work at both.

i did not say there are no good dealers out there. i just said the ones near me are crooks. the 2 best are walkers saw shop and ajacs power equipment. just so you know too. all the dealers are happy to see me walk through the door. even that one i went in and said those things. i know all the owners because my family used to own rpm which is one of the more poor dealers these days. i get a discount at every shop i go to. at rpm i get cost and most others 20%. alot of them know me as the guy who is gonna fix the things they say are junk. trust me i am nice to them everytime i walk through that door. alot of them i usually go in there and have a coffe and a smoke with them. i will be at the particular dealer i went to about that 268 today to see my buddy bill there. i'm hoping he can hook me up with some 288 parts. they respect me cause they know i'm not gonna take any @#$% from them. sorry if i annoyed you guys. i just expect them all to hold a standard of service and they respect that of me. to tell you the truth i think they have gotten a bit better over the years.

i did not say there are no good dealers out there. i just said the ones near me are crooks. the 2 best are walkers saw shop and ajacs power equipment. just so you know too. all the dealers are happy to see me walk through the door. even that one i went in and said those things. i know all the owners because my family used to own rpm which is one of the more poor dealers these days. i get a discount at every shop i go to. at rpm i get cost and most others 20%. alot of them know me as the guy who is gonna fix the things they say are junk. trust me i am nice to them everytime i walk through that door. alot of them i usually go in there and have a coffe and a smoke with them. i will be at the particular dealer i went to about that 268 today to see my buddy bill there. i'm hoping he can hook me up with some 288 parts. they respect me cause they know i'm not gonna take any @#$% from them. sorry if i annoyed you guys. i just expect them all to hold a standard of service and they respect that of me. to tell you the truth i think they have gotten a bit better over the years.

Is that the "Walker's Saw Shop"????

Latest posts

Back