Where did all the loggers go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean the real loggers. There used to be quite a few here. Have they given up on this place and turned it over to the part timers and wannabes?

Did you have some names of people in mind? You can use the @ symbol to tag their user names and see if they show up.

For example, @Kodiak Kid posts quite often on the Scrounging Firewood thread.

W
I mean the real loggers. There used to be quite a few here. Have they given up on this place and turned it over to the part timers and wannabes?
What do you mean by "real loggers"? Are you referring to Hook tender's, Rigg'n slinger's, Chaser's, and Choker Dog's? 🤔 Maybe Shovel and Yarder operator's? Or perhaps knot bumper's? 😂🤣

What do you mean by wannabes? People who like discussing and running power saws and sharing info and idea's? Wether it be a weekend firewood cutter or licensed professional arborist?

Probably like in my case they got old. I still "contribute" once in a while but I'm (at 80 and with heart problems) scarely even a chainsaw user anymore. I still have a few old trees in the yard that will need cleared away but doubt I'll cut the bigger ones down, maybe hire it done and do the smaller stuff myself. I still work on chainsaws, however..

Well, it is FORESTRY and logging.

I do not care for firewood cutters. That's just from having to play nice with them for a long time.

By another method, I have been discussing using Ebikes for FORESTRY. This person was finding roads to be waterbarred too much for pickups and we were thinking ebikes could get workers closer to plots. Drones came into the equation also. A brave new world. Check the road with a drone and then choose what mode of transport to use. We actually know that we know about this. No stranger is going to pop in and start off on a tirade against new technology. That is a good thing.

slowp, I was beginning to think you had left with the loggers. Glad you are still around.

I am a firewood cutter, but no offense taken.

Ron
I have a feeling that you might take any agreement you make to cut firewood seriously. That is not the case with many.

Now, why am I on here? Oh yeah, I am sleepy and must have coffee. I do not sleep well after music practice. I guess it takes such hard thinking that my brain won't slow down fast enough.

The only logging even remotely around here happens with a feller bunchier on tree farms, realistically its all residential tree removers and land clearing. I might fell 2-3 a year helping friends but for the most I cut for firewood to support the saws that I enjoy using and building. People don't even bother to harvest firewood from the state and federal lands here.

I think a lot of the best guys got old on us. long intense stare... then stopped popping in when they found other interests such as boats... more intense staring...
A few stop in now and again, but its been pretty quiet for awhile now.
That and the more mechanization is putting folks out of touch with the woods, timber fallers, and rigging rats are a dying breed. I've cut with all sorts of folks over the last few years, only one of the guys I've worked closely with I felt comfortable working around, sadly he's going through some intense personal issues and will probably find his way into some other career. The rest can cut, but they can't think, they only do what they were told 10-15 years ago, which isn't necessarily correct for today or for every situation.

Everyone has a different idea on what a "real logger is". I respect all loggers. It was highly disappointing to watch "axemen" in the beginning and they failed to show common skidder logging that goes on around the USA. No shows after that that I know of showed it either. I am not saying in the least that it is any better or any worse than any other type. It just would be nice to see some acknowledgement to those who do.

I have always found skidder logging to be a bit, well........boring.

I like the cheery whistles of the yarders, the eerie noises of the lines on a foggy day, the thinking involved in getting one end suspension. It's steeper ground, but a lot more interesting.

Some memories come to mind of here, hold this, we're short handed and then getting lifted up into the air but the hooktender wasn't far and grabbed hold so all was well. The philosophical hooktender who went on about embracing the weather as we hiked up onto a ridge in a very windy storm (had to cut some trees that were across the road on the way home). They were also short handed because the crew failed to embrace the weather that day. Then helping set chokers one day--more short handedness and finding out it was like yoga--lots of contortions involved and then physics--Hook that log right there and it'll bounce off of that stump and head on up the hill.

Note the oft used term "short handed". That is a problem. A big one, even for the outfits that pay well and are good to work for.

Everyone has a different idea on what a "real logger is". I respect all loggers. It was highly disappointing to watch "axemen" in the beginning and they failed to show common skidder logging that goes on around the USA. No shows after that that I know of showed it either. I am not saying in the least that it is any better or any worse than any other type. It just would be nice to see some acknowledgement to those who do.
Got to remember that axmen was a tv show and had to build up the drama a bit to keep it interesting. All the feuds between the loggers, etc, equipment failures, and the like were to keep you watching the show.

Well, I'm not a logger. I'm a cutter, and certainly not the best, and dam sure ain't the worst! I broke in cut'n over 20 years ago. I've cut all over Southeast and Southcentral AK. Never cut next to anyone that said they wouldn't cut next to me again. I'm currently cut'n out of the biggest logging camp in Alaska. Hope I qualify for you you folks in this thread! 👍

Axe Men? LMFAO!!! 👎

W
What do you mean by "real loggers"? Are you referring to Hook tender's, Rigg'n slinger's, Chaser's, and Choker Dog's? 🤔 Maybe Shovel and Yarder operator's? Or perhaps knot bumper's? 😂🤣

What do you mean by wannabes? People who like discussing and running power saws and sharing info and idea's? Wether it be a weekend firewood cutter or licensed professional arborist?
Do not use an apostrophe for a plural noun. That makes it possessive, not plural.

Back